The Student Room Group

how hard is it to get on to a maths degree course?

hi i was just wondering how competitive is it to get to a maths degree course? is a maths degree in high demand i know that law, economics and medicine are but i just wanted to know how difficult it is to get on to one. i am applying to Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Nottingham and i havent picked a 5th choice.
anyone?
also is it completely compulsory to get a A in maths and A in further maths?
Reply 1
Not compulsory to get an A in Maths (lowest ive ever seen is B) nor is it in Further (lowest ive seen is C).
Reply 2
Original post by knomenome
also is it completely compulsory to get a A in maths and A in further maths?

It's not "compulsory" to get either grade - the question you have to ask yourself is, would you be happy/confident studying maths at uni if you haven't achieved A or A* at A level?

If you've just slipped up on 1 or 2 of the applied modules, that's not too serious. If you've struggled with Core maths then you're unlikely to enjoy maths at uni.
Reply 3
im predicted A in maths A in Economics and a B in physics i am also doing a further maths AS aswell but i want to go to a russell group university and just want to get a general idea of how competitive it is? anyone?
Reply 4
Original post by knomenome
im predicted A in maths A in Economics and a B in physics i am also doing a further maths AS aswell but i want to go to a russell group university and just want to get a general idea of how competitive it is? anyone?

I'm not familiar with all the offer combinations out there, but I suspect most of the top unis would be keen for you to take the full A2 FM if your school offers it (and if you're serious about Maths then in all honesty you should want to do the full A2 too :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest