The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hi, I did AH Computing this year and for my "Developing a Software Solution" project I created a card game of Texas Holdem Poker with AI Opponents and cross-platform compatibility in a programming language called Python. Other people in my class did a Chess game, a GUI Stock control system and a quiz game.

There is such a wide range of projects that you can choose and all I can say is go with something your interested in. The AH Computing Project requires alot of work (well over the "allocated" 40 hours) and if your doing something you find boring or you hate it will make the project even more difficult to do.

You should pick a project that really challenges you though and I recommend you do it in a programming language you've never used before or taught yourself as you can gain great benefit from the learning experience. Remember though, don't make it *to* complex because the report is still worth a hell of a lot of marks and you'll want to do well in that.

Your ideas to do a message board or a school admin system sound good but, as stated earlier, make sure your really into those ideas. As far as I remember I think scholar had a list of ideas but anything is ok as long as it includes some file handling and complex algorithms (e.g. Sorting). Avoid multimedia orientated projects unless your sure that it requires a sophiscated level of programming.

Good Luck with Advanced Higher Computing next year, if your willing to put in the work you'll enjoy the practical aspect of the course and you should gain some valuable skills. The theory aspect is really a matter of opinion, personally I didn't find it too interesting although the knowledge gained from the Computer Systems Optional unit I did was very useful. Also, don't get into the mess I did with my project in which I didn't do much in the class time allocated and ended up doing 90% of it over the easter holidays. Due to this I got a lower mark then, I think, I had the potential to get.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply rrai.

I think I am going to go create a Message/Discussion Board using PHP which I have never really used before. Hopefully it will go okay, just scared I'm going to start it, not enjoy it or be able to do it and then stuck with it in the middle of the year.

Latest

Trending

Trending