The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
TrentEnd
Anyway, I fancy starting a new game rather than hanging on to find a new job as I'm impatient, but I've no idea who top be. I don't want to be a Man Utd or a Chelsea and just buy whoever I fancy. I'd prefer a challenge, but nothing too extreme? Maybe someone mid-table, but with a bit of money? Or something in a different country? Any ideas/recommendations?
Depending on what level you'd like to start on, here are some suggestions...

Premiership: Fulham, Portsmouth, Bolton
Championship: Norwich, Preston, Derby
League One: Carlisle, Tranmere, Millwall
League Two: Darlington, Macclesfield, Shrewsbury
Conference National: Woking, Cambridge, Dagenham & Redbridge
Conference North: Gainsborough, Worcester, Scarborough*
Conference South: Lewes, Havant & Waterlooville, Eastbourne Boro

*Scarborough have a very good team for the Conf North, but have a 10-point penalty in the first season, which adds to the challenge for the first season. You'll likely be mid-table during the first season, but you should have a good shot at promotion in the second season :smile:
Dalimyr
Depending on what level you'd like to start on, here are some suggestions...

Premiership: Fulham, Portsmouth, Bolton
Championship: Norwich, Preston, Derby
League One: Carlisle, Tranmere, Millwall
League Two: Darlington, Macclesfield, Shrewsbury
Conference National: Woking, Cambridge, Dagenham & Redbridge
Conference North: Gainsborough, Worcester, Scarborough*
Conference South: Lewes, Havant & Waterlooville, Eastbourne Boro

*Scarborough have a very good team for the Conf North, but have a 10-point penalty in the first season, which adds to the challenge for the first season. You'll likely be mid-table during the first season, but you should have a good shot at promotion in the second season :smile:

I'm managing Derby at the moment, its fairly straightforward really, I'm top 3. Steve Howard is a class striker for the Championship, and the majority of the team play very well. All you need is a few loanees from Premiership clubs, I'd recommend Jack Hobbs from Liverpool (CB), Paul Anderson from Liverpool (AMR) and Jimmy Smith from Chelsea (AMR/AMC). The gate receipts mean you are likely to be given a bit of money to spend in January if need be, as long as you ask the board. They have lots of good young players too, and if you boost the u18's with released youngsters from the Scottish clubs (they always seem to release half decent 16/17 yr olds) and any other kids you can get, you will be assured of a good squad with depth and quality.
Reply 982
I'm managing Derby at the moment, its fairly straightforward really, I'm top 3.
With the right management, even expected relegation battlers can be in the title hunt; I've done it time and time again with Maidenhead, Bath, Woking, Worcester, Basingstoke, Fisher, Raceview...hell, Ballyclare were expected to come bottom of the Irish Division 1 in one of my games and I took them on a year-long winning streak - won every single match I played until I was faced with the challenge of Europe's finest in the second season :s:
Reply 983

I've been trying a new game where I'm concentrating on my youth squad, and it's finally starting to bear fruit. Picked him up when he was 16 from some club in Peru and he's developed very nicely and practically won us the youth league by 30 points, and is now in the first team as a replacement for Di Michele. All for a measly 110k!
Hey Guys!!! Im now officially a member of this Society. Thanks for adding me :biggrin:
Reply 985
Obi Wan Kenobi
Hey Guys!!! Im now officially a member of this Society. Thanks for adding me :biggrin:

Sorry it took so long :redface: I keep saying for people to remind me if I haven't added them within a couple of days :biggrin:
No need to apologise Dalimyr and thanks for the add.

By the way, Carlos Elias - Fantastic buy, but his goal record and shots on target ratio is pretty poor.
Reply 987
I play him in a playmaker role in AMC, so he isn't really an out and out scorer, but does have a decent ratio if you take assists into account. I'm a couple months on now and on his personal screen he's switched from 'playmaker forward' to 'wonderkid' and Moratti (Inter's boss) keeps publicly saying he has great potential.. And sneakily offered 5.5mill for him, which I duly turned down.

Hopefully i'll be able to get him to sign a new contract and stick a hefty minimum fee clause on him. And on top of that I managed to get Klose on a free transfer, so after all the injuries I had last season it's finally starting to look birhgter :biggrin:
Can i join please:smile:

I recently got FM 07 and i've decided to start off with Newcastle, then when i get a little more used to it, i think i'll take Stevenage to european glory:biggrin: ... i'm gonna go play now......thanks.
Well, I started a file with Arsenal a while back, and didnt really buy anyone, except cover for defence. I started VERY well and was top by 6 points by December, but thats when it happened....... Henry, Baptista, Hleb, Rosicky, Fabregas all got injured for around 2 months :angry: I didnt win my next 4 or 5 games in the Premiership and was under pressure, and in late January, I stepped down as manager.

Then, about a month later, with about 10 Premiership games remaining, I got the job at Bolton, and Ive had a great start. Ive only lost 1 out of 7 games - away to Arsenal. Plus, I got 2 away draws against Manchester United and Liverpool :biggrin:

Well, Seeya!!!
Reply 990
Obi Wan Kenobi
Well, I started a file with Arsenal a while back, and didnt really buy anyone, except cover for defence. I started VERY well and was top by 6 points by December, but thats when it happened....... Henry, Baptista, Hleb, Rosicky, Fabregas all got injured for around 2 months :angry: I didnt win my next 4 or 5 games in the Premiership and was under pressure, and in late January, I stepped down as manager.

Then, about a month later, with about 10 Premiership games remaining, I got the job at Bolton, and Ive had a great start. Ive only lost 1 out of 7 games - away to Arsenal. Plus, I got 2 away draws against Manchester United and Liverpool :biggrin:

Well, Seeya!!!

why would you step down?
Reply 991
Vintage
why would you step down?

Better to step down than be fired...and if he was under pressure then he wouldn't have been in a great situation as far as job security's concerned, would he? :wink:
Lol. I was having a REALLY bad string of results as around 5 or 6 of my first team players had long term injuries, so I decided to step down before the situation got even worse and I was fired.

I'd like to make it clear however, that according to the Board Confidence, the fans and board were still in full support of my management.........lol, I sound like a real life manager whos just resigned :biggrin:
Reply 993
Obi Wan Kenobi
Lol. I was having a REALLY bad string of results as around 5 or 6 of my first team players had long term injuries, so I decided to step down before the situation got even worse and I was fired.

I'd like to make it clear however, that according to the Board Confidence, the fans and board were still in full support of my management.........lol, I sound like a real life manager whos just resigned :biggrin:

so you bottled out of it?

Ill have you know.. my world class newcastle squad i had built up... decided to forget how to play.. and from finishing 3rd... i went on a 15 game run of straight defeats... And i never gave up.. still got bastarding relegated and fired though... but i walked away thinking... at least i tried...
hey guys, sometimes when I try to save my game, it says theres a critical error and it has to close and just closes. Any reasons for this. Most of the time it saves fine though.
jesus_navas
hey guys, sometimes when I try to save my game, it says theres a critical error and it has to close and just closes. Any reasons for this. Most of the time it saves fine though.

Try downloading the patch on the first page, that should do the trick.
I did sort of bottle it, in a way. Its just that I didnt want to get fired from my first job, coz then chances are, I wouldnt have been able to get another decent job for a long time.
Reply 997
I'm still too attached to my 2006 game so i haven't yet got fm2007. On fm2006 i'm managing Utd and Sevilla. It took me three seasons to get the Premiership, during which time i played well with a young team but chelsea barely dropped a point. But i have since one back to back titles. Also took Sevilla to La Liga glory last season on the final day having been level on points with both Madrids and Valencia. This season though everything is going to hell with united. Languishing in 9th place for most of the season, red cards and penalities regularly, none of my forwards scoring (Rooney, Aguero, Rossi, Podolski - All magnificient goal a game strikers last year). So i'm just trying to fight my way back up to fourth and avoid the sack.
Star players for Sevilla -
Saviola (32 league goals last season, 42 in all comps)
Kallstrom (20 assists/11 goals last season)
Boulharouz (avg 7.79 last season and probably the major factor in winning the title along with)
Kompany (avg 7.60)
the patch is dead on the first page, please help.
Reply 999
jesus_navas
the patch is dead on the first page, please help.

Clicky :smile:

Latest