The Student Room Group

Classics Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LuxVeritatis
Congrats to Darth_Newdar and the person who got an interview from Oriel! Still waiting on my college :s

Thanks! Good luck with your application, hope you hear soon.
Reply 41
Oooh yay! I'm glad somebody set up this thread :smile:

Universities applied to: Cambridge (Newnham), St. Andrews, Exeter, Nottingham, Newcastle
AS level grades: AAAAA (Latin, Class Civ, Economics, Maths, English Lit.)
A2 predictions: A*AA (Econ, Latin, Class Civ)

Offers: Nottingham, Newcastle, Exeter, and a Cambridge inteview (ahhhhhh!)

Of course I'm going to have to wait the longest for St. Andrews, which is annoying since its one of my top choices. How is anyone else prepping for the cambridge language interview? Cause I know thats where I'm going to fall down massively. Well done/good luck to everyone else!
Reply 42
Just got an interview for New College :biggrin:
Original post by LuxVeritatis
Just got an interview for New College :biggrin:

Congratulations! Maybe see you in Oxford? :smile:
Reply 44
Yes, absolutely!
Reply 45
Lux and Darth are you applying for Classics 1 and have you done Latin and Greek to A2? My daughter has an interview for Classics 1 at Corpus. She is doing A2's in Latin Greek History and English. She doesn't come on here because it would freak her out. Good luck to you all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mumof4
Lux and Darth are you applying for Classics 1 and have you done Latin and Greek to A2? My daughter has an interview for Classics 1 at Corpus. She is doing A2's in Latin Greek History and English. She doesn't come on here because it would freak her out. Good luck to you all.

Yes, although I'm applying for Classics IB - I have Latin A2 but not Greek.
Reply 47
Original post by Mumof4

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Classics 1a, as I have both Latin and Greek. Encourage her to come on, it's always good to talk to people!
Reply 48
Universities Applied To: Oxford (Univ), Exeter, Warwick, Nottingham, Manchester
AS Grades: AAAB (Latin, Physics, Maths, Chemistry)
A2 Predictions: A*A*AA (Latin, Physics, Maths, Chemistry)

Had ABB offers from both Exeter and Manchester.
Reply 49
I will. In the meantime good luck. She is also holding an offer from her second choice of Exeter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Hey everyone! I'm a bit late to the world TSR :wink:

Application sent: October 1st
Applied to: Oxford (Brasenose), St Andrews, Durham (University), Nottingham, Liverpool.
AS: AAAA (English Literature, History, Philosophy and Ethics, Biology) EPQ: A*
A2: (predicted) A*A*A (English Lit, Philosophy and Ethics, History)

Got offers from Liverpool (ABB) and Nottingham (AAB/A*AC).

I thought Durham sent offers later on but I heard today that they've started sending them out already (although to engineering but they aren't international) so I'm going to have to revert to logging into Track every five minutes again :wink:

I'm now becoming very impatient waiting for Oxford's verdict. I've applied for Classics II btw (achieved full marks in both Greek and Latin (self taught) at GCSE and tried to keep up the languages to an extent).
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 51
Original post by downfall
Hey everyone! I'm a bit late to the world TSR :wink:

Application sent: October 1st
Applied to: Oxford (Brasenose), St Andrews, Durham (University), Nottingham, Liverpool.
AS: AAAA (English Literature, History, Philosophy and Ethics, Biology) EPQ: A*
A2: (predicted) A*A*A (English Lit, Philosophy and Ethics, History)

Got offers from Liverpool (ABB) and Nottingham (AAB/A*AC).

I thought Durham sent offers later on but I heard today that they've started sending them out already (although to engineering but they aren't international) so I'm going to have to revert to logging into Track every five minutes again :wink:

I'm now becoming very impatient waiting for Oxford's verdict. I've applied for Classics II btw (achieved full marks in both Greek and Latin (self taught) at GCSE and tried to keep up the languages to an extent).

Duuuude thanks for making people like me look bad... I have literally done nothing for language hahahaha.
Reply 52
Hi guys
Sent application: 9th Oct
Applied to: Exeter, Durham(St. Chads), Bristol, Edinburgh and Cambridge (Trinity)
AS: AAAA (English Lit, History, Latin, Greek)
A2: predicted A*A*A* (dropped History)
Got AAA offers for Bristol and Exeter and an interview at Cambridge on the 9th (terrified.) best of luck fellow Classicists!
Reply 53
Original post by hazel31
Duuuude thanks for making people like me look bad... I have literally done nothing for language hahahaha.

Sorry :eek: You don't need to have done anything! It's usually all (being A2) or nothing with Classics - I'm the weirdo who's stuck somewhere in the middle. Plus I've basically forgotten everything anyway!

You're the first person I've come across who wants to do Classics with neither language! *high five*

Please tell me that you found the CLAT horrific too?!

Forgot to say: Bristol is awesome (says the Bristolian). Encountered a few members of the Classics Department there in my time and they all seem very nice.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 54
Sorry :eek: You don't need to have done anything! It's usually all (being A2) or nothing with Classics - I'm the weirdo who's stuck somewhere in the middle. Plus I've basically forgotten everything anyway!

You're the first person I've come across who wants to do Classics with neither language! *high five*

Please tell me that you found the CLAT horrific too?!

Forgot to say: Bristol is awesome (says the Bristolian). Encountered a few members of the Classics Department there in my time and they all seem very nice.

Mmmm I'm rather mixed about it actually. It wasn't great but I was quite pleased by the fact that I actually finished it. (Granted, I did finish that last 25% section in 4 minutes (purely due to necessity lol) so it's probably complete ****e. What did you think of the Serbian and Bonk? (I didn't even realise that's what it was called till someone who didn't even take it (took the latin/greek parts I think) asked me about it hahah)

What's this about Bristol? Why the sudden advertising?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by hazel31
Mmmm I'm rather mixed about it actually. It wasn't great but I was quite pleased by the fact that I actually finished it. (Granted, I did finish that last 25% section in 4 minutes (purely due to necessity lol) so it's probably complete ****e. What did you think of the Serbian and Bonk? (I didn't even realise that's what it was called till someone who didn't even take it (took the latin/greek parts I think) asked me about it hahah)

What's this about Bristol? Why the sudden advertising?

I saw some people had offers/applied. It was a spur of the moment thing. :colondollar:

I found the Bonk section relatively easy, except for last question of the section. Verbs inside verbs?! The Serbian (tbh I didn't even notice what language it was supposed to be) I wasn't particularly sure about - usually I'm not too bad at stuff like that (done UKLO a few times) but I got a bit confused. The English, the last section, I thought was strangely the hardest. Apart from the last question. I finished too but it was rather time pressured and not my best performance. Hey ho. :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 56
I saw some people had offers/applied. It was a spur of the moment thing. :colondollar:

I found the Bonk section relatively easy, except for last question of the section. Verbs inside verbs?! The Serbian (tbh I didn't even notice what language it was supposed to be) I wasn't particularly sure about - usually I'm not too bad at stuff like that (done UKLO a few times) but I got a bit confused. The English, the last section, I thought was strangely the hardest. Apart from the last question. I finished too but it was rather time pressured and not my best performance. Hey ho. :s-smilie:

hahahah well in my humble opinion it didn't go that badly - I mean it was at a similar level to the sample paper the Admissions Tests website released and I was expecting something hugely difficult thanks to people who've done it in the past who told me the actual thing was much, much more difficult. :cry2: I definitely faced problems with the really dodgy metaverby sentences as well, so you're not alone on that front. Aaaaand I literally wrote two sentences for the first bit of the english section so that prolly didn't go that well either. :P
Glad I found this thread, us classicists seem to be a rare breed around these parts! Congrats to those who have got offers/interviews so far :biggrin:

Applied to- Bristol, Durham (Collingwood), Nottingham, Oxford (Worcester), Warwick
AS Grades- AAAA (Latin, Biology, Geography, Chemistry)
Predicted A2s- A*A*A (Dropped chemistry)
Offers- Bristol, Nottingham and got one from Warwick about 2 hours ago!

Still waiting to hear something from Worcester, the wait is killing me :frown:
If I get into Warwick I think I'll just switch to do a classics degree. Applied for Ancient History and Classical Archaeology, but latin/greek is a compulsary module there anyway,so I would probably end up switching lol.
Reply 59
Eep extremely late to the party, but I'm always up for a classics party :3

Universities applied to: Cambridge (Christ's), St. Andrews, Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter
AS level grades: AAA (Latin, Greek, Class Civ) Predicted A in Ancient History.
A2 predictions: A*A*A* (ugh really don't think I'll be getting this...)
Offers: Bristol (AAA) Exeter (AAA) and interview from Cambridge in.... argh less than 2 weeks.

Well done guys for offers and grades and generally being awesome and suchlike.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending