The Student Room Group

Paramedic science applicants 2014

Hi

I've just sent my ucas application off. Where's everyone applied to and has anyone heard anything back as of yet?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I am sending mine off once I get the go ahead from my school tutor regarding my personal statement. I have applied to UWE, Oxford Brooke's, Portsmouth, Greenwich and Hertfordshire.

Your interview is quite soon then :smile: do you live in the area?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by AineNI
hey

I sent mines off on Thursday and got word about an interview on Thursday! I've applied to Coventry, Northampton, Sheffield, Hertfordshire and St George's London! how about you?

I've applied to sheffeild Hallam, UWE, Hertfordshire, Teeside and LJMU hope I hear something back soon!
Original post by AineNI
yeah interview is December 6th and no I live in Northern Ireland so i'm nowhere near any of them!!

Good Luck. How long did they take to get back to you and have you heard from anyone else?
Reply 4
You heard back so quickly! I have received emails from the unis saying they have received my application but that's all! I know from when I applied to uni 2 years ago it can be a long agonising wait haha
Reply 5
Nursing, I recently completed my first year but decided it wasn't for me, I still left with a qualification thought and uwe have said that if I can justify my reasons for leaving and show that paramedic is really what I want to be it won't go against me thought so fingers crossed haha
Reply 6
Adult! Yeah it's in Bristol haha
Reply 7
Hi, I've applied to Oxford Brookes (first choice), Greenwich, Bournemouth, and Portsmouth. I have heard back from Portsmouth with an unconditional offer for another course (sociology and psychology)! Regarding the others, I haven't heard anything as yet. I work in the ambulance service as an emergency call taker and emergency dispatcher, with community first responder experience. I'm hoping this will all go in my favour.

just wondering if anyone has heard back from Oxford Brookes or other universities and what the interview processes are like?
Original post by Helzbelz26
Hi, I've applied to Oxford Brookes (first choice), Greenwich, Bournemouth, and Portsmouth. I have heard back from Portsmouth with an unconditional offer for another course (sociology and psychology)! Regarding the others, I haven't heard anything as yet. I work in the ambulance service as an emergency call taker and emergency dispatcher, with community first responder experience. I'm hoping this will all go in my favour.

just wondering if anyone has heard back from Oxford Brookes or other universities and what the interview processes are like?

Wow, that is a lot of things! How did you get to do the call talker stuff as everywhere I hVe asked says you need to do it full time. I have applied to oxford Brooke's as well but I have not sent anything off yet.
Reply 9
I've applied for the brand new Paramedic Practice BSc at Teesside University. Sent my application yesterday for a January 2014 start!

I also did the first year of Adult Nursing but didn't complete for the same reasons as Kirsty, it wasn't where my heart was.

I'm currently doing distance learning with UK Open Learning Advanced Anatomy and Physiology Level 4 and I also work as a Community First Responder, which I adore! I have also worked voluntarily in A&E which is an eyeopener.

It's the waiting that kills me, I'm quite impatient waiting for such important info. I have spoken to the uni and they expect a very fast turn around with it being a brand new course and that it's a January start!!

Hope everyone gets in to where they want to be and the time we can all stop refreshing hoping to see something other than the 'waiting for decisions' screen lol

Lynsey xx
Reply 10
I started with the ambulance service last year, full time (which is why I'm applying to become a paramedic, as I have been out on the road '3rd manning') But if you want to get into call taking, apply for the role and ask to either go part time or work as 'bank' staff (pick an choose the days that you work, which I am going if I get into university).
I would recommend that you apply to be a community first responder in your area, as many universities look for experience, and that is great experience.
Ironically, I heard from Bournemouth university today, and I've got an interview on the 4th December!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Congratulations Helz....I'm still refreshing the page, no word as yet. I really am so bad at waiting! lol

I applied for the role of dispatcher and was shortlisted but I heard that someone that had more experience from another area got it, but i'm hoping that was a blessing in disguise.

Good Luck with Interviews! :smile:
Congrats
I live in South Devon so vacancies are hard to come by. I have applied to the Red Cross as a peer educator so hopefully I will get into that. Good luck for your interview. Are the interviews normally quite soon getting one if that makes any sense? :wink:
Reply 13
Thank you!

I am also bad at waiting! I hate the waiting game! They sent me the interview details via email. I thought they sent out letters, and it doesn't look like there is a fitness test either.

Depending on what ambulance service you applied too, normally they like people to work their way from emergency call takers to dispatchers.

From looking through previous threads, back to 2008, this is the time where interviews dates are sent to people, so hopefully you will all hear soon! Good luck everyone!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
I called the Uni, no, no fitness test and as of now everything is electronic, which is a plus, lol.

You also don't even need to have a driving license for this new course let alone a C1.(apparetly previously you did? i'm not sure)

It was Neas I applied with, that's the trust I'm currently with

....Still Refreshing....
Reply 15
Hopefully you will hear something soon! Is it just the one university you applied too?

I think Oxford Brooke's do a fitness test, unless they have also stopped that too! (Hopefully!)

I sent my application off on the 8th of October for a September start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yep just the one, it's the only one remotely closest to me that does this course. It's a brand new one called Paramedic Practice, not sure how it's different yet.

Was that a year in advance or via clearing?
Reply 17
No, I sent it off Oct 2013 for September 2014 start.

There are so many courses that are pretty much the same but have different course names. Brooke's call theirs 'paramedic emergency care'.

Wow! Is that just in the control room or out on the road for Northern Ireland Ambulance Service?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
That's mental. The ambulance service i work for is always recruiting people, in control more than out on the road.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XLynseyBX
I called the Uni, no, no fitness test and as of now everything is electronic, which is a plus, lol.

You also don't even need to have a driving license for this new course let alone a C1.(apparetly previously you did? i'm not sure)

It was Neas I applied with, that's the trust I'm currently with

....Still Refreshing....

You might not 'need' a driving licence but you'd almost certainly need one to get to placements as public transport doesn't tend to run at shift start/finish times. As for C1 most courses don't require it for entry but you will require it to get a job at the end.

Quick Reply

Latest