The Student Room Group

Its not fair, im fat he's thin :(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Well done :smile:.

Thank you :colondollar:
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
99.99% of the time that is the reason and it is that black and white. Of course there is always going to be a rare exception, such as a medical condition of some sort... But in reality, if somebody is overweight it's because they are lazy and eat too much. Different people have different reasons as to why they're lazy and eat far too much, but at the end of the day, whatever the reasons for it, their laziness and their overeating is responsible for their obesity. There is no point in sugar coating that fact.

I know far too many people/see far too many people post online, who are pretty clueless about nutrition. There are far too many people who don't even know what a calorie is, or what protein,carbohydrates and dietary fat are.

I always hear people say stupid things like "I don't understand why I'm not losing any weight, I'm not eating any fat" meanwhile they're eating like 4000 calories a day of sugar.

Also, LOTS of people are clueless when it comes to how many calories they're eating. They very roughly calculate the calories from their three main meals, but exclude all the calories they drink, the foods they snack on, and the oils/sauces they cook with. Or they read the nutritional information on a pack of food and it says 'contains 500 calories' what they don't read is that it also says 'per portion' and 'this package contains three portions'.

When people say "I've tried everything, but I just can't lost weight" what it actually means is "I've tried everything, other than consistently eating a varied and healthy diet, while being in a calorific deficit for a long period of time, as well as engaging in vigorous exercise regularly... But I just can't lose weight"

The number of girls I've seen on facebook post stupid things like "day1 of my cabbage diet starts today" is unbelievably high.

With the exception of that one in a million who genuinely has something wrong with them, people who are overweight, are overweight because they either don't know how to eat healthily, or don't want to (which is more often than not the case).

'Fat people' needs to take more responsibility for their own actions, and stop looking for sympathy and excuses. And other people need to stop being fat-apologists.

Well why don't we all insult fat people then, their self esteem will be reduced enough to want to lose weight right?

Do you not understand that there is also a mental battle that they have to overcome first? They can have all the determination in the world, they might have top class personal trainers but if they suffer from depression or if they began eating impulsively because of a crisis in their lives, until that aspect is tackled, it will be almost impossible to do so. It could be that they have no job, are constantly bored and turn to eating cheap unhealthy snacks, they could have lost a loved one and instead of lose their appetite like a lot of people, they have an increased appetite and eat to forget their troubles, there are a myriad of reasons why fat people remain fat.

I am not here to encourage being overweight. I am not here to say that overweight people shouldn't be told to lose weight. I am here simply to ask that people be a little more understanding towards fat people and to try and understand what goes on behind the scenes and the emotional reasons they continue to eat in excess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
If you starve yourself, your body stores fat and relies on it to keep you alive. If you eat (but eat healthy foods) your body does not need to store fat as a reserve and can burn it more easily. In addition, if you starve yourself, your metabolism becomes less efficient, and that's why many people pile the weight back on after they've starved themselves. The best way to optimise your metabolism is to eat smaller meals and eat more frequently, but only healthy, smaller things. Starving yourself is 100% inefficient unless you're planning to starve yourself until you die.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Well why don't we all insult fat people then, their self esteem will be reduced enough to want to lose weight right?

Do you not understand that there is also a mental battle that they have to overcome first? They can have all the determination in the world, they might have top class personal trainers but if they suffer from depression or if they began eating impulsively because of a crisis in their lives, until that aspect is tackled, it will be almost impossible to do so. It could be that they have no job, are constantly bored and turn to eating cheap unhealthy snacks, they could have lost a loved one and instead of lose their appetite like a lot of people, they have an increased appetite and eat to forget their troubles, there are a myriad of reasons why fat people remain fat.

I am not here to encourage being overweight. I am not here to say that overweight people shouldn't be told to lose weight. I am here simply to ask that people be a little more understanding towards fat people and to try and understand what goes on behind the scenes and the emotional reasons they continue to eat in excess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying we should insult them, but at the same time being an apologist for them does nothing to help. It's a fine line, and I'm not claiming to know the exact balance. I'm simply saying that not enough people take responsibility for their own actions/the consequences of those actions, and too many people sugar coat things for those that are overweight.

People who are overweight, and especially those that are obese, are in that position because they constantly look for excuses and the easy way out. If you(not you specifically) offer them excuses, such as "it's not your fault" and "I know you tried your hardest to lose weight but some people just can't" then they will simply accept that as reality and never do anything to actually help themselves.

Nobody really wants or tries to become obese, it happens over the course of years. It starts as simply not knowing how or not wanting to eat healthily, and not being active enough. And then transforms into pure food addiction/abuse. Nobody simply wakes up one morning with mental problems relating to food, it's a result of a prolonged period of self neglect. If at some point before all the mental problems begin to arise, somebody actually said "you're letting yourself go a bit" or "you're becoming a little unhealthy" far fewer people would find themselves in as much trouble as they do. Putting on weight is sort of like watching paint dry. You don't really notice that you're getting fat until you're actually pretty fat. By which point, for a lot of people, they're already in far too deep and can't help themselves.

If there was more of a social stigma attached to being overweight, and less of an "aww it's ok, everybody is beautiful in their own way" approach to obesity, less people would be overweight.

People need information, but they also need tough love too. Saying "you're overweight, you need to eat less and exercise more" is far more helpful than simply trying to be nice and make an overweight person feel better about themselves.

I'm not saying we should bully those that are overweight... there is obviously a big difference between saying something like "haha you're a fatty!' and "you're overweight and it's obviously your fault, but if you want to lose weight and you're prepared to make some life changes, here is how you could go about it...."
I'm not saying we should insult them, but at the same time being an apologist for them does nothing to help. It's a fine line, and I'm not claiming to know the exact balance. I'm simply saying that not enough people take responsibility for their own actions/the consequences of those actions, and too many people sugar coat things for those that are overweight.

People who are overweight, and especially those that are obese, are in that position because they constantly look for excuses and the easy way out. If you(not you specifically) offer them excuses, such as "it's not your fault" and "I know you tried your hardest to lose weight but some people just can't" then they will simply accept that as reality and never do anything to actually help themselves.

Nobody really wants or tries to become obese, it happens over the course of years. It starts as simply not knowing how or not wanting to eat healthily, and not being active enough. And then transforms into pure food addiction/abuse. Nobody simply wakes up one morning with mental problems relating to food, it's a result of a prolonged period of self neglect. If at some point before all the mental problems begin to arise, somebody actually said "you're letting yourself go a bit" or "you're becoming a little unhealthy" far fewer people would find themselves in as much trouble as they do. Putting on weight is sort of like watching paint dry. You don't really notice that you're getting fat until you're actually pretty fat. By which point, for a lot of people, they're already in far too deep and can't help themselves.

If there was more of a social stigma attached to being overweight, and less of an "aww it's ok, everybody is beautiful in their own way" approach to obesity, less people would be overweight.

People need information, but they also need tough love too. Saying "you're overweight, you need to eat less and exercise more" is far more helpful than simply trying to be nice and make an overweight person feel better about themselves.

I'm not saying we should bully those that are overweight... there is obviously a big difference between saying something like "haha you're a fatty!' and "you're overweight and it's obviously your fault, but if you want to lose weight and you're prepared to make some life changes, here is how you could go about it...."

People saying stuff like that to me is what made me uncomfortable exercising.
Yes, we need to be told that we're gaining weight but 90% of people say it in a way that just makes us more uncomfortable in ourselves. Its a fine line and most people don't walk on the right edge.
Reply 45
If you really want to lose weight then you're going to have to change your attitude to food and start exercising more.

But don't feel like you need to, or feel pressured into doing it. You should lose weight only for you.
Reply 46

Remind me how someone's weight affects you, thanks.
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Remind me how someone's weight affects you, thanks.

"Health problems associated with being overweight or obese cost the NHS more than £5 billion every year."
https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/reducing-obesity-and-improving-diet

Original post by McMurdo
If you starve yourself, your body stores fat and relies on it to keep you alive. If you eat (but eat healthy foods) your body does not need to store fat as a reserve and can burn it more easily. In addition, if you starve yourself, your metabolism becomes less efficient, and that's why many people pile the weight back on after they've starved themselves. The best way to optimise your metabolism is to eat smaller meals and eat more frequently, but only healthy, smaller things. Starving yourself is 100% inefficient unless you're planning to starve yourself until you die.

While starving oneself is a bad idea for most people, saying it is 100% inefficient is simply wrong. There are many, many examples in literature (as well as thousands of anecdotal examples) of medically supervised (or not) fasts being hugely successful for weight loss. The amount by which your metabolism slows down due to lack of food is nowhere near enough to cancel out the lack of energy you have due to lack of food. In fact, remaining fat on a fast is physically impossible.

But, of course, if your metabolism slows down even a little bit and then you go on a binge, this of course will have a bigger effect.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 48
Original post by Implication
"Health problems associated with being overweight or obese cost the NHS more than £5 billion every year."
https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/reducing-obesity-and-improving-diet

Still, it's their personal choice. People shouldn't have to be a certain size just to make the NHS/govt/taxpayers happy.

And the state wastes a lot of taxpayers' money, its not fair to target the overweight.

The problem is that you are encouraging a paradigm that provides excuses for obesity rather than solutions. Yes, it's hard. We know that. Plenty of people on this very forum have struggled to both lose and gain weight. But saying there is "a myriad of reasons" for being fat is very misleading, since there is only one reason: they eat too much for their exercise level of exercise too little for their food consumption. Everything else boils down to this.

Every single one of the excuses you made for obese people could equally well be made for drug addicts and smokers. Yet society has no problem with being harsh on them. Just as with these unhealthy habits, being fat is ultimately the result of an individual's own lifestyle choices and people need to take responsibility for their own actions rather than trying to find ways to justify them or blame it on something else.

People are fat because they have maintained terrible eating and exercising habits. It is their fault they are fat.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Still, it's their personal choice. People shouldn't have to be a certain size just to make the NHS/govt/taxpayers happy.

And the state wastes a lot of taxpayers' money, its not fair to target the overweight.

Well yes, it is their choice. And it's a choice that costs everyone else money. Being fat doesn't only affect you; it affects every other citizen as well.

Whether or not the state wastes a lot of money is not only debatable but not relevant. Even if the state does do so, this doesn't justify the wasting of even more money.
The problem is that you are encouraging a paradigm that provides excuses for obesity rather than solutions. Yes, it's hard. We know that. Plenty of people on this very forum have struggled to both lose and gain weight. But saying there is "a myriad of reasons" for being fat is very misleading, since there is only one reason: they eat too much for their exercise level of exercise too little for their food consumption. Everything else boils down to this.

Every single one of the excuses you made for obese people could equally well be made for drug addicts and smokers. Yet society has no problem with being harsh on them. Just as with these unhealthy habits, being fat is ultimately the result of an individual's own lifestyle choices and people need to take responsibility for their own actions rather than trying to find ways to justify them or blame it on something else.

People are fat because they have maintained terrible eating and exercising habits. It is their fault they are fat.

Unless your were overweight/are overweight/has been in someone's who is overweight head then you really can't say anything.

Being/getting fat boils down too more than what you're saying.
Original post by lipslikemorphine
Unless your were overweight/are overweight/has been in someone's who is overweight head then you really can't say anything.

Physics, the NHS and all the scientific literature say otherwise.

And not that my personal involvement means anything but... you may be interested to know that my BMI is currently at 25.8 down from 28.4 (25+ is overweight) and I got a lot of insults, laughs etc. when I was a child for being overweight.
(edited 10 years ago)

And not that my personal involvement means anything but... you may be interested to know that my BMI is currently at 25.8 down from 28.4 (25+ is overweight) and I got a lot of insults, laughs etc. when I was a child for being overweight.

No. Your personal involvement means nothing. You probably got laughed at because you're a dick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And not that my personal involvement means anything but... you may be interested to know that my BMI is currently at 25.8 down from 28.4 (25+ is overweight) and got a lot of insults, laughs etc. when I was a child for being overweight.

Of course the reason fat people are fat is because they eat too much but don't do any exercise. No one is arguing otherwise, everyone agrees. But why do people overeat? Why do people take drugs? Why do people self harm? You need to look at the motives and the reasons behind their actions if you are to solve the over eating which simply exists at the surface.

I would suggest that more focus should be put on finding out the root of the problem and on therapy rather than simply telling them, 'you're fat, its your fault, you need to lose weight.' As true as that is, that is not what what is going to motivate people who overeat to lose weight. Encouraging them to find out exactly why they overeat is the way to go. It could simply be that they like the taste of food and they have associated food with enjoyment and happiness rather than as a means of health and nutrition. Then after a bad day, or when bored, they seek the reassuring taste of food to tide them over. Tackling the actual root of the problem is where we should focus on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. Your personal involvement means nothing. You probably got laughed at because you're a dick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like you're a nasty hypocrite, sozza. Perhaps you should responding constructively rather than just insulting and relying on crude prejudices?

Posted from TSR Mobile

>"unless you're overweight, you really can't say anything"
"I am overweight"
>"your personal involvement means nothing"

It really doesn't, though. A caloric intake higher than your total daily energy expenditure leads to weight gain - and that's the sole determinant; the reductionist cause. The circumstances that lead to the increased caloric intake are multifactorial, but Implication has never tried to claim otherwise.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
>"unless you're overweight, you really can't say anything"
"I am overweight"
>"your personal involvement means nothing"

It really doesn't, though. A caloric intake higher than your total daily energy expenditure leads to weight gain - and that's the sole determinant. The circumstances that lead to the increased caloric intake are multifactorial, but Implication has never tried to claim otherwise.

I wasn't talking about physically.. I was talking about mentally.

He makes if seem as if someone who's overweight can just los weight and it doesn't work like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course the reason fat people are fat is because they eat too much but don't do any exercise. No one is arguing otherwise, everyone agrees. But why do people overeat? Why do people take drugs? Why do people self harm? You need to look at the motives and the reasons behind their actions if you are to solve the over eating which simply exists at the surface.

I would suggest that more focus should be put on finding out the root of the problem and on therapy rather than simply telling them, 'you're fat, its your fault, you need to lose weight.' As true as that is, that is not what what is going to motivate people who overeat to lose weight. Encouraging them to find out exactly why they overeat is the way to go. It could simply be that they like the taste of food and they have associated food with enjoyment and happiness rather than as a means of health and nutrition. Then after a bad day, or when bored, they seek the reassuring taste of food to tide them over. Tackling the actual root of the problem is where we should focus on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I appreciate your attitude, but I contend that the root of the problem is not of prime important since addressing the problem is still simply a matter of controlling eating and exercise habits. Yes, someone may eat lots because they associate it with enjoyment and happiness (I do this myself) and I don't think (m)anyone eats solely for sustenance. But losing weight is still a matter of self control and just using your willpower not to eat that packet of biscuits every time you are feeling sad.

By the way, I don't think it's appropriate to insult people just because they are fat (though I don't think telling someone that they are fat is necessarily an insult). I am just strongly opposed to the ridiculous notion (that seems to be growing in popularity, probably due to the internet) that people need not take responsibility for their own habits.

Yes, there are factors that influence why and how you eat. But ultimately it is still your fault if you eat too much (assuming you are an adult).
Sounds like you're a nasty hypocrite, sozza. Perhaps you should responding constructively rather than just insulting and relying on crude prejudices?

I'm not being prejudice. To me that's what it seems like you are.

It's my opinion. You may not actually be one but that's how it seems to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest