The Student Room Group

Cycling on the pavement

Scroll to see replies

You can cycle on the pavement, but it's not legal.
Reply 21
Technically it is against the law but it's not really enforced. If police saw you do it they would probably would not say anything.
Original post by AshPetite
Just a quick question really, and sorry if it's in the wrong forum! - Can I cycle on the pavement instead of road?

I want to cycle instead of using public transport because it's too unreliable and infrequent. Thing is, I really really don't feel safe on the roads. There are no cycle paths or lanes around either. I won't be able to get to some places without using dangerous roads if I'm not allowed to use the pavement. I'm not in a city centre, so the pavements aren't busy, and I'm not going to travel at any kind of speed on the hefty bike that I've got! I would rather be late for work and appointments using public transport, than risk my safety on the roads on a bike.

Thanks

it depends where you are really... if you're cycling alongside a dual carriageway where the cars are doing 50+ and you're on a clunky mountain bike then it's reasonable to be on the pavement... however if you're on a fairly standard road then you should really be on it, honestly you will waste so much time dodging pedestrians and bins and lamp posts on the pavement, it drives me mad to cycle on it

don't put yourself in danger to stay on the road (just look at the uproar in london at the moment, and trust me cars will treat you like you don't exist anywhere) but if you take some time to learn traffic rules and stay present and careful on the roads you are usually not in much danger, the two rules I live by are 1. always make it incredibly obvious and clear what you are about to do and 2. never assume that the car next to you will actually pay attention - at the end of the day in a couple of years of cycling I've had maybe 2-3 near misses that weren't my own fault but I have never been hurt because even then I have been able to break or swerve out of the way

maybe take a cycling proficiency test? it might make you a bit more confident about the more tricky things like turning right, roundabouts etc
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Personally, I hate cycling on the roads around my house, too. I cycle on the pavements but if I see any pedestrians I try to go onto the road. You're not supposed to do it, but I can't see that there would be any harm in it if you're careful and considerate.

going on and off the pavement repeatedly is generally a bad idea safety wise, as no one knows what you're going to do next so will not allow for it, best to pick a path and stick to it
Reply 24
Original post by Genocidal
Always a controversial issue.

You should ride on the roads. You need to gain confidence doing this, so I suggest starting by riding on the roads at odd hours where there's less traffic. Riding on the paths is too dangerous for everyone else. By doing this, you're putting everyone else at risk, without actually reducing the risk for yourself. You're potentially harming more people by riding on the paths.

I know what some people might be thinking. Surely people should just be more alert?

In an ideal world, maybe this would happen. But in the world of today people are wearing headphones, earphones, and playing on phones. And even this can't account for blind corners where someone might suddenly come out of nowhere. If you hit someone and injure them, you could be looking at a potential legal case or a serious arse kicking.

Britain isn't a very good nation for cyclists, I'm afraid, so it's basically about picking your poison.

What's worse, a pedestrian with a scrape from being hit by a cyclist or a cyclist with a broken body from a car?
Reply 25
Original post by qasidb
Technically it is against the law but it's not really enforced. If police saw you do it they would probably would not say anything.

Police have told me off a couple times for doing it. (Even though I was 9.)
Original post by KingKumar
What's worse, a pedestrian with a scrape from being hit by a cyclist or a cyclist with a broken body from a car?

Read the links in post 16.
Reply 27
Original post by Good bloke
Read the links in post 16.

Ok, thanks, I did. They occur much less often than injuries/deaths by cars on cyclists however. In the past 8 days 4 cyclists have died as a results of crashes with vehicles and several more have been seriously injured. In eight days.
There are rules.

Number 64 says:
You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.
Laws HA 1835 sect 72 & R(S)A 1984, sect 129

That's scary.

I'd suggest finding a route which many cars don't go down. I'm thinking of cycling to uni when it gets a bit colder and because I'm such a dangerous cyclist (I stop paying attention to the road at times :redface:) I've had to find a route which many cars/people don't go down compared to the main the roads and even though it's a little longer to go that way, it's a lot safer!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Cycling on the pavement takes too damn long. Don't think my road bike would be able to take the rough pavements around here, much safer to bike on the road.
Reply 30
Original post by Dez
And this is why so many motorists have a hatred for cyclists. Having no engine doesn't put you above the law.

Motorists would prefer if cyclists broke the law and got off the roads.
There are some right idiots who cycle on the pavement and I have nearly been run over twice by said idiots.

However, the majority are fine. There's a route I run which is along a main road. Out running on morning and heard someone ring their bell, so I stepped to one side let them past, to which they shouted as they went past "thank you".
Ok, thanks, I did. They occur much less often than injuries/deaths by cars on cyclists however.

Sure however that does not legitimise breaking the law or endangering pedestrians just so that you can get to work just that little bit quicker.

In the past 8 days 4 cyclists have died as a results of crashes with vehicles and several more have been seriously injured. In eight days.

All 5 of the deaths over the last 9 days have involved HGVs, buses or coaches, just in the same way that a significant proportion of accidents involving cyclists do nationwide.

When will cyclists realise how dangerous it is to cycle alongside (or worse still undertake) vehicles as they are turning?
Reply 33
The last time I cycled on the pavement was over a decade ago, when I was a toddler on a push bike. I can definitely see why some people would prefer to cycle on the pavement; 5 cyclists have been killed on London's roads in the past 9 days. A very frightening statistic. You have to bare in mind that it is illegal to cycle on the pavement for a good reason though. People can and do die from getting hit on the pavement. The only reason why the number getting hit isn't high is because the vast majority of cyclists cycle on the road. Imagine popping round to your neighbours, crossing the fence, and a cyclist traveling downhill hits you.

You can relate cycling on the pavement to cycling on the road in a way that
--The cyclist on a large metal bike, to the toddler popping out from nowhere is the same as the truck driver in a HGV, to the cyclist that turns a corner though a red light.

In this instance, you are the larger object carrying more momentum. The fact that your chances of being injured are less does not justify cycling on the pavement as you pose a real danger to members of the public (and yourself if you cycle into a reversing car)

You could probably get away with cycling slowly at a quiet time of day in the suburbs, but cycling on the road can be safe if you take appropriate measures. For example, wearing a high-vis jacket and a helmet. My local council ran a cycling scheme where every resident was given the opportunity to attend 1 on 1 cycling lessons with a qualified instructor. I had two sessions and learnt invaluable skills about road cycling. I now cycle regularly, averaging 10 hours a week (which includes a long 4 hour club run) The more cycle, the faster you become and I now find myself overtaking 2 or 3 busses on a particular bus route. I really recommend becoming aware and confident with cycling on the road as the convenience and health benefits are huge. Hope everything works out!
Reply 34
Ok, thanks, I did. They occur much less often than injuries/deaths by cars on cyclists however. In the past 8 days 4 cyclists have died as a results of crashes with vehicles and several more have been seriously injured. In eight days.

Since April of 2011 I've ridden approximately 10,500 miles, and during this time suffered only two accidents, both of which (ironically) occurred on the pavement.

For reference, this is my commute:

I wear a high-visibility jacket; give way to the right; never undertake buses or HGVs; never filter between opposing lanes; signal and maintain eye-contact before approaching junctions or roundabouts; wear a helmet at all times, and generally conduct myself like a model cyclist. If you manage to get yourself killed in the process, it's more than likely due to a combination of ineptitude and simple hubris.
Reply 35
Guess it comes down to where you live and the how much the pavements are used by peds. I live in a fairly quiet area and I've cycled on the pavements, never had any trouble with peds or the cops.

Obviously, the cyclist hit by a car. But as a pedestrian I only care about my own well-being not what may or may not happen far away from me.
Original post by AshPetite
Just a quick question really, and sorry if it's in the wrong forum! - Can I cycle on the pavement instead of road?

I want to cycle instead of using public transport because it's too unreliable and infrequent. Thing is, I really really don't feel safe on the roads. There are no cycle paths or lanes around either. I won't be able to get to some places without using dangerous roads if I'm not allowed to use the pavement. I'm not in a city centre, so the pavements aren't busy, and I'm not going to travel at any kind of speed on the hefty bike that I've got! I would rather be late for work and appointments using public transport, than risk my safety on the roads on a bike.

Thanks

It's surprising how many cycle paths/alternative/quieter routes there are. http://www3.halton.gov.uk/lgnl/policyandresources/policyplanningtransportation/transportco-ordination/pdfs/cycle/Final_Cycle_Map_Runcorn_2010.pdf

If you do chose to cycle on the pavement (there's one part of my route where the traffic is usually v slow/stationary and the road is narrow - my choice is either to sit in the traffic, risk under/overtaking (where it is possible) or ride with care on the pavement - some days the traffic will be completely stopped and there'll be space near the kerb to safely pass the traffic on the left, some days the traffic in the other direction will be light enough to allow me to safely overtake on the right/white line, usually the safest option for both me and the drivers is for me to cycle slowly and considerately along the pavement) then be considerate.

Don't cycle faster than jogging pace, use your lights if it is dark (you'll need them to spot the ****ty pavement quality in most cases), come to a stop before you re-join the road (or at the least signal and join when there is a gap in traffic).

The police guidance on issuing fixed penalty notices specifically states that they shouldn't be issuing them to people who feel unsafe using the road.
On 1st August 1999, new legislation came into force to allow a fixed penalty notice to be served on anyone who is guilty of cycling on a footway. However the Home Office issued guidance on how the new legislation should be applied, indicating that they should only be used where a cyclist is riding in a manner that may endanger others. The then Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued a letter stating that:

The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief police officers, who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required.
http://www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/

Original post by Dez
Legally, no. See highway code rule #64:

Pretty abundantly clear. If you don't want to cycle on dangerous roads, dismount and walk around the parts where it isn't safe to ride.

See this winds me up - yes it is illegal based on highway code rules but very VERY few drivers (including myself) follow the highway code around sharing the road:

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-drivers-riders-103-to-158/general-advice-144-to-158
In slow-moving traffic. You should
be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on either side.

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/overtaking-162-to-169
Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should
give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car

(even when I'm a meter from the kerb I get drivers trying to squeeze past within inches rather than wait until it is safe to overtake - I had one driver try to overtake me (on the right) as I cycled up the centre line signalling right about to turn into a minor road on the right (!!))

https://www.gov.uk/road-users-requiring-extra-care-204-to-225/motorcyclists-and-cyclists-211-to-213
Motorcyclists and cyclists may suddenly need to avoid uneven road surfaces and obstacles such as drain covers or oily, wet or icy patches on the road. Give them plenty of room and pay particular attention to any sudden change of direction they may have to make.

I'm a driver, I'm a cyclist, I'm a pedestrian. Being a cyclist has made me a more considerate driver. Being a driver has made me a more aware/safer cyclist.
Reply 38
I cycle on paths most of the time.

I feel like I'm endangering far more people being on the roads. On paths I cycle carefully and I'm not stupid, eg going full speed down hills where people may be backing out, or where people may be coming round corners.

Luckily there are quite a lot of cycle lanes in Sheffield, and there's a huge park near my house which gets me half way to most places I need to go.
Reply 39

I'd rather not receive a "scrape" from an idiot cyclist. He should be able to ride in the road or on a designated cycle path in a safe manner. If not, take the bus.

And actually people can die from being hit by a cycle. Sadly a sufficient enough offence for dangerous cycling/causing death by doesn't exist last time I checked though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest