The Student Room Group

Four Britons 'killed fighting in Syria war with Al Qaeda rebels'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatMuslimGuy
Based on what evidence do you know this? :holmes:

Common sense. Give these nutters a shred of power and they enforce their religious fundamentalism on the populace. Try being a girl wanting an education in areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Original post by Truefaith
Yep
I just watched it.
Its propaganda tbh.
I like how they put up English subtitles but you cant actually hear the people speaking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha knew youd say that. :biggrin:

So is it incorrect? What would you say is actually happening?

What do you say about other similar videos?:

[video="youtube;jBNyQF0FbYA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBNyQF0FbYA[/video]
Haha knew youd say that. :biggrin:

So is it incorrect? What would you say is actually happening?

:biggrin: slightly predictable

Well they have nothing to back it up with. All it was was a bunch of accusations and subtitles and praising of youth with guns.

Tbh saying Allahuakbar before killing a person gets to me a lot. Especially if the other person is muslim. In some ways i feel sorry for these people as they were probably subjected to propaganda.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lady Comstock
Common sense. Give these nutters a shred of power and they enforce their religious fundamentalism on the populace. Try being a girl wanting an education in areas of Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Again i was asking how you know what these people wish to enforce?

Personally i cannot say as i do not know.

I just found it interesting that you knew that's why I was asking.
:biggrin: slightly predictable

Well they have nothing to back it up with. All it was was a bunch of accusations and subtitles and praising of youth with guns.

Tbh saying Allahuakbar before killing a person gets to me a lot. Especially if the other person is muslim. In some ways i feel sorry for these people as they were probably subjected to propaganda.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do you not agree with fighting against oppression?
So do you not agree with fighting against oppression?

Of course i agree with fighting oppression but who here is the oppressor?

One thing i noticed about that video (saw most of it) is the bad guys kept on changing. One time they were in uniform and others not. And we dont know who is who.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course i agree with fighting oppression but who here is the oppressor?

One thing i noticed about that video (saw most of it) is the bad guys kept on changing. One time they were in uniform and others not. And we dont know who is who.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good questions. :smile:

Who would you say the oppressors are?
Good questions. :smile:

Who would you say the oppressors are?

:smile:

Dunno but from what i have seen not Assad. Apart from if you watch these types of videos. I would say that the extremists are the oppressors. I personally know a few people who have been affected by this and tbh some people were killed for no reason whatsoever.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lady Comstock
Do bears **** in the woods? Is the Pope Catholic?

The article refers to them as "radicalised" and I would wager that the vast majority of those going out there to fight with the rebels would like to see a fundamentalist state emerging from the ashes.

Oh ok you take a daily mail article as whats happening ok.

I personally only make comments when I can truly verify something.
Some guys die fighting for a cause I personally think is sketchy at best, doing their own thing, it's news?

Oh right they're from Britain so it's a big deal. Apparently.

Or not, life goes on!
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Truthfully, these issues depend upon the consensus of the scholars and can be different depending on the opinion of each of the four madhabs. These are specific issues that I've never really looked at, so I can't really help you regarding your question. Perhaps you could post your question on the 'Ask about Islam' thread, and someone might be able to help.
<br />
<br /> my point being that how can the laws of a country be based upon sharia, when there are large amounts of laws where no direct guidance is given.
Reply 91
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Under properly implemented Sharia, yes.

Christians and Jews have lived with Muslims as neighbours for hundreds of years, and strived too(in an Islamic state(an example is the Egyptian Jews under Ottoman rule)). In fact, Jews have suffered more at the hands of Christians throughout history than they have from Muslims (a certain European Judeo-Christian political group and of course the Spanish Inquisition). Islamic antisemitism only arose in the ninteenth century and it is of the opinion of many scholars (one of them being Mark R.Cohen, a proffessor at Princeton specializing in Jewish and Muslim relations) that it arose as a result of Christians Arabs promoting nationalistic ideologies between the two groups.

Call tosh

living as second class citizens is not a good way to live in any society

Iran has expelled more Jews in the last 40 years than were expelled during the Spanish Inquisition (100000 v 80000)

Given that there is no country at the moment that has been able to implement sharia what do you think the odd are on it working in Syria a country that has been relatively accepting of other groups (how do you think the Druze will fare under sharia)

Oh and how many Jews left in Egypt now?

The past is long gone it is now 2013 so in all honesty what do you think will happen now

Personally I see bloodshed, refugees, communities smashed and displaced and a continuation of the shia - sunni fight and more bloodshed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 92
Come on guys, at least Al Qaeda have set up a customer service/complaints line! What other 3rd force have that kind of attention to customer satisfaction! http://rt.com/news/al-qaeda-syria-complaints-156/
Reply 93
Original post by HokeyWolf
Come on guys, at least Al Qaeda have set up a customer service/complaints line! What other 3rd force have that kind of attention to customer satisfaction! http://rt.com/news/al-qaeda-syria-complaints-156/

Bless em.

Reply 94
Original post by PopaPork
Bless em.

See papapork, we can see eye to eye.
Reply 95
Original post by HokeyWolf
See papapork, we can see eye to eye.

I think we both want the same thing just we have different ideas to the solution

Peace
Reply 96
What does everyone think the future for peace in Syria holds? If anything? Would be good to get a discussion going about eventualities here.
If Assad wins, there'll be heavy crackdowns, international condemnation but no country will actually do anything. If the rebels win, I would say the country will disintegrate into warring factions- after all, the FSA and Al-Nusra are at each others throats already, so far as I can tell.
Reply 98
Good thoughts. I read an article in FP a few months back that suggested that the country has already split into 3 distinct areas. Southern Syria (minus a few enclaves of rebel positions in and around Damascus) is regime controlled. Some Northern and North Eastern areas up towards the eastern border with Turkey are controlled by Kurdish forces (perhaps forging a Kurdish state in north eastern Syria alongside the Kurdish areas in northern Iraq. The rest of the north of the country is dominated by either 'FSA' (whatever that means anymore) or ISIS/ Al Qaeda backed forces. Perhaps this could be a model for the restructuring of the country. Whatever happens, I believe that too much blood has been split on all sides of this conflict for the nation to simmer back down to historic levels of co-habitation, but we will see...
The problem I see is that the Army remained just about loyal to Assad. Unlike, say, Libya, where much of the, admittedly fairly low quality Army joined the rebels, I saw somewhere that Assad had something like 200,000 well trained, equipped and motivated troops, while the rebel deserter forces of the FSA numbered about 10,000. I don't know if this is correct- I read it a while ago on the BBC website- but if it is then it makes a case against intervention all by itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending