The Student Room Group

Good universities for Medieval History/Studies Masters?

Hi,
I was interested in knowing what people on here considered to be good universities at which to do an MA/MRes in Medieval History or Medieval Studies. I've been considering Birmingham, Durham and (as a best case scenario) Cambridge, but would like to keep my options open and hear from the horses' mouths which places are actually good. Online lists are one thing, hearing from people who have actually been/know someone who did is another.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Grauniad
Hi,
I was interested in knowing what people on here considered to be good universities at which to do an MA/MRes in Medieval History or Medieval Studies. I've been considering Birmingham, Durham and (as a best case scenario) Cambridge, but would like to keep my options open and hear from the horses' mouths which places are actually good. Online lists are one thing, hearing from people who have actually been/know someone who did is another.

Thanks!

Hi, nice to see a medievalist online, there's not many of us!

I did my master's at Oxford (Med. History, though I know lots of people who did medieval studies too) and I can recommend you put that on your list too, to start with. Even if you're considering Cambridge as a long shot, everyone I knew in Oxford got into Cambridge too, and they're both very good on things like high number of medievalists, therefore high numbers of seminars, great library resources etc. plus being in a beautiful medieval city is really inspiring!

Other unis, well I obviously don't have first hand experience, but the one's you've mentioned all have a good reputation for Medieval history/studies. A few other's with similar reputations are London unis (King's and Birkbeck in particular have a strong staff list, plus you also get the IHR seminars here), York (esp. for medieval studies) and St Andrews (if you can put up with living on the edge of nowhere).

When it comes to graduate level though, the most important thing to consider is your specific interests and supervisor - try to identify a course that has option modules that appeal and relate to your interests and which has a supervisor on faculty who will take an interest. If (like 90% of my master's cohort) you want to try for an academic career, your MA/MPhil/M.whatever supervisor is a key reference and will be important in helping you get to know the important people in your sub-field.

What is your specific area/interests, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by ellie.rew
Hi, nice to see a medievalist online, there's not many of us!

I did my master's at Oxford (Med. History, though I know lots of people who did medieval studies too) and I can recommend you put that on your list too, to start with. Even if you're considering Cambridge as a long shot, everyone I knew in Oxford got into Cambridge too, and they're both very good on things like high number of medievalists, therefore high numbers of seminars, great library resources etc. plus being in a beautiful medieval city is really inspiring!

Other unis, well I obviously don't have first hand experience, but the one's you've mentioned all have a good reputation for Medieval history/studies. A few other's with similar reputations are London unis (King's and Birkbeck in particular have a strong staff list, plus you also get the IHR seminars here), York (esp. for medieval studies) and St Andrews (if you can put up with living on the edge of nowhere).

When it comes to graduate level though, the most important thing to consider is your specific interests and supervisor - try to identify a course that has option modules that appeal and relate to your interests and which has a supervisor on faculty who will take an interest. If (like 90% of my master's cohort) you want to try for an academic career, your MA/MPhil/M.whatever supervisor is a key reference and will be important in helping you get to know the important people in your sub-field.

What is your specific area/interests, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, that's really helpful. I had a quick look at York, and that seems quite good.

Interests are quite varied. I like 13th Century Britain, Charlemagne & the Carolingian empire, pre-Christian European religion and pretty much anything to do with literacy (which is why I'm happy almost every course has Latin and Paleography modules). I also quite like contemporary medieval historiography, mainly because I love the Mappa Mundi (if you can count that as historiography, which I would argue you can) and because Geoffrey of Monmouth was a hoot to read.

Do I take it you're doing a PhD in London?
I have applied for Medieval Hist/Studies masters courses to commence in 2014 too.

Staff at my current university praise York's Medieval Studies program a great deal. I have heard cautionary tales (that someone else could perhaps confirm or allay) that the Medieval History program there is based at the campus outside the town, so you lose out on much of the college atmosphere of the Medieval Studies Center if you don't go for the Medieval Studies course itself.

If you are interested in Palaeography, language, and utilising visual/material sources such as the Mappa Mundi, you should be a good fit on a Medieval Studies program.

@ ellie.rew I'd be interested to hear what you made of the Oxford Hist. masters, good and bad points perhaps? I was mostly impressed on the open day, and there are some absolute top academics in my field there.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fisichella
I have applied for Medieval Hist/Studies masters courses to commence in 2014 too.

Staff at my current university praise York's Medieval Studies program a great deal. I have heard cautionary tales (that someone else could perhaps confirm or allay) that the Medieval History program there is based at the campus outside the town, so you lose out on much of the college atmosphere of the Medieval Studies Center if you don't go for the Medieval Studies course itself.

If you are interested in Palaeography, language, and utilising visual/material sources such as the Mappa Mundi, you should be a good fit on a Medieval Studies program.

@ ellie.rew I'd be interested to hear what you made of the Oxford Hist. masters, good and bad points perhaps? I was mostly impressed on the open day, and there are some absolute top academics in my field there.

Cool stuff, thanks for the heads up about York. I was leaning more towards Medieval Studies than History, but not every place offers specifically medieval studies so I thought I'd keep it open.
Reply 5
Hi,

Thanks!

I've applied for an MA in Medieval Studies at York commencing in 2014. I visited a couple of years ago to get a feel for the area and the program and it felt like a great fit for me. My interests vary across the disciplines and I'm very happy about the options they offer that include architecture and the skills modules that I'm currently not able to take advantage of here in the US.
York is small and quiet. I stayed on the Minster side of the city, away from the University but in the neighborhood of the King's Manor where the Centre is. Not much of a night life over that way. The streets were deserted by 10 pm (early July). I can't speak for the other side of town. I'm a mature, mature student and not interested in clubs and late nights these days. Hope this helps! Good Luck!! :smile:
Original post by MsAlde
I've applied for an MA in Medieval Studies at York commencing in 2014. I visited a couple of years ago to get a feel for the area and the program and it felt like a great fit for me. My interests vary across the disciplines and I'm very happy about the options they offer that include architecture and the skills modules that I'm currently not able to take advantage of here in the US.
York is small and quiet. I stayed on the Minster side of the city, away from the University but in the neighborhood of the King's Manor where the Centre is. Not much of a night life over that way. The streets were deserted by 10 pm (early July). I can't speak for the other side of town. I'm a mature, mature student and not interested in clubs and late nights these days. Hope this helps! Good Luck!! :smile:

Thanks, and good luck to you too.
York is actually becoming a more and more attractive option...consarn it, choices choices!

I quite like the look of Durham as well; my brother went there so I know the city and it's quite significant in medieval stuff. I also like the look of the brum course, and since I'm there now there's the chance for an alumnus bursary.

I better not ask for many more suggestions... tough time picking ahead
Reply 7
Interests are quite varied. I like 13th Century Britain, Charlemagne & the Carolingian empire, pre-Christian European religion and pretty much anything to do with literacy (which is why I'm happy almost every course has Latin and Paleography modules). I also quite like contemporary medieval historiography, mainly because I love the Mappa Mundi (if you can count that as historiography, which I would argue you can) and because Geoffrey of Monmouth was a hoot to read.

Do I take it you're doing a PhD in London?

Wow, that's a very wide range! With such a range it's hard to pin down one uni with a particular strength, though KCL has David Carpenter for 13th century Britain and Cambridge has Rosamond McKitterick for Charlemagne and i think one of the London unis (maybe UCL?) has a higher than average (i.e. more than one) concentration of paleographers, though I know much less about that side of things.

In terms of medieval historiography, if you mean what I think you mean, you'll have plenty of that to do anyway, as I imagine you'll have to do a critical reading of basically every source you put into your dissertation (I had to write a report for my supervisor for each one e.g. style of writing, construction of text, political motivations/partisanship etc. etc.), so I don't think that will be much help in the decision making process!

Just a word of warning - if you're not very sure what you'd like to focus on, for the year at least, be warned that Oxbridge (and especially Cambridge) do want to know what the general thrust of your research will be when you're applying (although they are very flexible when you arrive, I doubt 13th cent. Britain to pre-Christian European religion would be a possible switch). Other programmes seem to offer more flexibility.

I'm actually working in a library at the moment, paying off the debts (these masters aren't cheap kids!) and applying for PhD next year in London and Oxford.

I have heard nothing but good things about Medieval Studies at York!

Bear in mind that with boundaries between disciplines so blurred now, the choice of History vs Studies is often more about the structure of the actual degree (e.g. in Oxford Studies is 9 months vs History is 11 months, with the summer to finish your dissertation). I know a lot of Medieval history people who did very interdisciplinary/culturaly stuff, along with a few medieval studies people who took nearly all the same classes as I did and would have had no problem being in the history course. Of course if you want to study Medieval High German literature or Urban communes in 13th century Italy, then your choice is clear but there's lots of room for overlap. (N.B. if you can't tell which topic goes with which course, then it's time to worry!)

I really loved oxford, and I really hope I get funding to go back next year. The libraries are fantastic (even have really obscure foreign language books and journals) and of course have a huge amount of medieval manuscripts, which you can just order up to look at whenever you like! Also having a practical paleography class with an original magna carta is amazing! You will also have a college and a college library, which are usually quite well stocked and tend to just buy you any book they don't already have (which again is amazing). You get really high level access with top scholars in every field, not just your supervisor, but also with the seminars (which always have drinks and a chat either before or after), where visiting speakers come nearly every week, from most of the universities mentioned above and from lots more too.

The downside is I think the stress and workload, but I think that's every master's, not just Oxford. It's a big step up from undergrad, not just in quality but in quantity too. It's very easy to feel overwhelmed, stressed and lonely, but again I think this is probably a universal and Oxford has so much going on (seminars, concerts, socials, balls, dinners etc etc) that it's never hard to find something to do if work's getting too much. Keeping up with it is exhausting though, I have much more free time with my full-time job now than I did last year!

If there's any more questions though, just ask!
Wow, that's a very wide range! With such a range it's hard to pin down one uni with a particular strength, though KCL has David Carpenter for 13th century Britain and Cambridge has Rosamond McKitterick for Charlemagne and i think one of the London unis (maybe UCL?) has a higher than average (i.e. more than one) concentration of paleographers, though I know much less about that side of things.

In terms of medieval historiography, if you mean what I think you mean, you'll have plenty of that to do anyway, as I imagine you'll have to do a critical reading of basically every source you put into your dissertation (I had to write a report for my supervisor for each one e.g. style of writing, construction of text, political motivations/partisanship etc. etc.), so I don't think that will be much help in the decision making process!

Just a word of warning - if you're not very sure what you'd like to focus on, for the year at least, be warned that Oxbridge (and especially Cambridge) do want to know what the general thrust of your research will be when you're applying (although they are very flexible when you arrive, I doubt 13th cent. Britain to pre-Christian European religion would be a possible switch). Other programmes seem to offer more flexibility.

I'm actually working in a library at the moment, paying off the debts (these masters aren't cheap kids!) and applying for PhD next year in London and Oxford.

I have heard nothing but good things about Medieval Studies at York!

Bear in mind that with boundaries between disciplines so blurred now, the choice of History vs Studies is often more about the structure of the actual degree (e.g. in Oxford Studies is 9 months vs History is 11 months, with the summer to finish your dissertation). I know a lot of Medieval history people who did very interdisciplinary/culturaly stuff, along with a few medieval studies people who took nearly all the same classes as I did and would have had no problem being in the history course. Of course if you want to study Medieval High German literature or Urban communes in 13th century Italy, then your choice is clear but there's lots of room for overlap. (N.B. if you can't tell which topic goes with which course, then it's time to worry!)

I really loved oxford, and I really hope I get funding to go back next year. The libraries are fantastic (even have really obscure foreign language books and journals) and of course have a huge amount of medieval manuscripts, which you can just order up to look at whenever you like! Also having a practical paleography class with an original magna carta is amazing! You will also have a college and a college library, which are usually quite well stocked and tend to just buy you any book they don't already have (which again is amazing). You get really high level access with top scholars in every field, not just your supervisor, but also with the seminars (which always have drinks and a chat either before or after), where visiting speakers come nearly every week, from most of the universities mentioned above and from lots more too.

The downside is I think the stress and workload, but I think that's every master's, not just Oxford. It's a big step up from undergrad, not just in quality but in quantity too. It's very easy to feel overwhelmed, stressed and lonely, but again I think this is probably a universal and Oxford has so much going on (seminars, concerts, socials, balls, dinners etc etc) that it's never hard to find something to do if work's getting too much. Keeping up with it is exhausting though, I have much more free time with my full-time job now than I did last year!

If there's any more questions though, just ask!

Thanks a lot for all that, good food for thought.

And I've got no problem in principle to narrowing down, which I know I'll have to do at some point. I'm just lucky (or cursed) to find quite a lot of things interesting (though some would just call it scatter-brained).

Just out of interest, do you mind my asking what you specialized in for your masters' dissertation/research?
Reply 9
Thanks a lot for all that, good food for thought.

And I've got no problem in principle to narrowing down, which I know I'll have to do at some point. I'm just lucky (or cursed) to find quite a lot of things interesting (though some would just call it scatter-brained).

Just out of interest, do you mind my asking what you specialized in for your masters' dissertation/research?

Don't worry about it, I felt the exact same at your point, and still do to an extent - I still have lots of interests, you just have to pick one to focus on for the next year - option and core modules will ensure you'll do lots of other stuff too, but you dissertation/research will take up at least 50% of your degree time I'd imagine.

I ended up writing my dissertation on Carolingian and post-Carolingian saints' cults, focusing on the Loire valley, but I'm interested in saints more widely, as well as monastic economics, relations between church and state and religious iconography in royal propaganda. So like I said, you just have to pick one aspect, but remember it doesn't mean abandoning everything else!

Hope this helps!
Medieval Studies at York is set in the really gorgeous King's Manor, which is well worth checking out. The academics there are really friendly and approachable, so if you have any questions don't worry about emailing them. The one thing I would add is that York is a very vibrant city for students- the post above was based in early July when many students have gone home, but the rest of the year it's a really busy place to be. I have just finished three years there and am now at Cambridge, so feel free to ask any questions about either place :smile:

I ended up writing my dissertation on Carolingian and post-Carolingian saints' cults, focusing on the Loire valley, but I'm interested in saints more widely, as well as monastic economics, relations between church and state and religious iconography in royal propaganda.

That sounds so interesting. Why the Loire valley, in particular? Was it a particular hagiographic hotbed, or just a thing to pick to stop it being too broad?
Reply 12
That sounds so interesting. Why the Loire valley, in particular? Was it a particular hagiographic hotbed, or just a thing to pick to stop it being too broad?

I mainly chose it because my main source was the Miracula Sancti Benedicti (written at Fleury)so I tried to expand it out a little and a bit of regional context.

Another reason I picked this though was that the Miracula have a modern translation (even if it's in French), which makes it much easier to work with while you're still learning Latin than sources without a translation. The intensive Latin course is very good in Oxford (better than Cambridge we were told), but it does involve learning the bulk of a language in 3 weeks, so it's best not to rely too much on it unless you've got previous Latin experience.
I mainly chose it because my main source was the Miracula Sancti Benedicti (written at Fleury)so I tried to expand it out a little and a bit of regional context.

Another reason I picked this though was that the Miracula have a modern translation (even if it's in French), which makes it much easier to work with while you're still learning Latin than sources without a translation. The intensive Latin course is very good in Oxford (better than Cambridge we were told), but it does involve learning the bulk of a language in 3 weeks, so it's best not to rely too much on it unless you've got previous Latin experience.

Ah, fair enough. And I am totally cool and did me some Latin learning for the last couple of summers. Nowhere near enough, but I've got the fundamentals.
Reply 14
Ah, fair enough. And I am totally cool and did me some Latin learning for the last couple of summers. Nowhere near enough, but I've got the fundamentals.

You should be fine then, even some basic Latin goes a long way to making things much easier!
Reply 15
Hi everyone, just wondering how you are getting on with your applications/offers for Medieval Studies? I've applied for Medieval Studies at Oxford and Durham and am going to apply to York and Exeter depending on the outcomes of those. I've also applied for an MSc Bioarcheaeology course at Exeter (which I have a place for, and which I'm hoping is going to be Medieval in focus) as a back up as my degree is more Science than Humanities. I'm a "mature" student so hoping to make the cross-over.

Just wondering how people were getting on.
Reply 16
Hi Blou17! I was accepted into the Medieval Studies program at York. It's very exciting! I'm a "mature" student as well. This will be a huge change in my lifestyle, to say the least!
Reply 17
Original post by MsAlde
Hi Blou17! I was accepted into the Medieval Studies program at York. It's very exciting! I'm a "mature" student as well. This will be a huge change in my lifestyle, to say the least!

Ah congrats! I got another offer today from Durham MA Medieval and Early Modern so I'm very pleased. Yes, will be a big lifestyle change for me too, I've been teaching for 15 years. Now the boot will be on the other foot!
Reply 18
Original post by Blou17
Ah congrats! I got another offer today from Durham MA Medieval and Early Modern so I'm very pleased. Yes, will be a big lifestyle change for me too, I've been teaching for 15 years. Now the boot will be on the other foot!

Durham-Very Nice!! Congrats to you too! Have you accepted the offer? The boot's on the other foot with me too. I'm currently working in HR at a US university helping grad students with HR issues (appointments, payroll, benefits, etc).
It comes down to which period of medieval history you're interested in, and where the experts in said period are. If like myself you are interested in the Normans (specifically the Italo-Normans) then Leeds is a good spot, because it has Dr Loud working there (an expert in the field).

That being said the other places I've heard are good for medieval history/medieval studies from my lecturers are places like Leeds, York, Lancaster, and I think Nottingham was mentioned as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending