The Student Room Group

Dating without a relationship?

I've been on a few dates with this guy, he's nice enough & hasn't done anything wrong but... I really don't want a relationship! Just started my dream job, came out of a 5 year relationship last year & the thought of another relationship makes me feel physically sick.

He however has recently said he wants to carry on & see how things go, talking about buying me Christmas presents etc & I haven't realised until now how serious this apparently was!

He wants to go out again tonight... What do I do/say??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by Ali xo
I've been on a few dates with this guy, he's nice enough & hasn't done anything wrong but... I really don't want a relationship! Just started my dream job, came out of a 5 year relationship last year & the thought of another relationship makes me feel physically sick.

He however has recently said he wants to carry on & see how things go, talking about buying me Christmas presents etc & I haven't realised until now how serious this apparently was!

He wants to go out again tonight... What do I do/say??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tell him the truth.
Reply 2
Original post by meenu89
Tell him the truth.

Repped and seconded. Never lead someone on; it's not fair on them and it will only reflect badly on yourself.
Reply 3
I recognize the feeling of 'not wanting a relationship' but then you meet someone you're smitten with and nuts about. You want to spend as much as time with them as possible and you don't want them to sleep with someone else. And that means a relationship. Not necessarily introducing family, or cuddling and all that stuff, but that is the essence of it.

When you tell a guy you "don't want a relationship right now", you could have said "really have to focus on studies/work right now", "have to focus on me" or "need some space". It's all the same thing. Any man with some experience will read it as "I'm not into you enough". Because 99% of the time, that's what it means.

He's "nice enough" and "hasn't done anything wrong". Why are you dating him? You don't have a crush on him and you're clearly sort of "meh". Do you just want some company or some affirmation that someone likes you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending