The Student Room Group

Can you get into some universities with just AS grades?

Hi I am completing my AS courses right now and I am taking 5
(Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Arabic) and art subsidiary (BTEC course) and my target grades are all As in my AS courses and a double distinction in art (equivalent to an A) and I was wondering if it is possible to get into certain universities wit just AS grades (without completing full a-levels)

I want to study architecture and I am aware that it is very competitive- my first option is McGill and I read on their site that they accept either a minimum of 3 a-levels (AAA for architecture) or 2 a-levels and 2 different AS levels. But I have friends who told me that they make a few exceptions if you have a good amount of AS subjects with exceptional grades (As). And I also know (100% sure) that with a lot of other Canadian Universities, they accept either a minimum of 2 full a-levels or just 4 AS levels. I have a friend who got into McMaster with 4 AS levels and UBC as well with 4 AS levels and I wanted to know if I have a chance of getting into McGill with 5 AS levels ..? :confused:

Also since I want to apply for architecture, they need a portfolio (the portfolio is taken into account when reviewing applications) so basically my question is do I have a good chance of getting in with just AS grades if I get 5 As and have a strong portfolio?
Oh and for GCSEs I took Maths (A*), 3 sciences (A* in physics, A*chem and an A in bio) , English (A* in lit and A in language), french (A*), economics (A), art (A*) , history (A*), arabic (A*) and further maths (C):colondollar:

Please please help mee :smile:
Original post by deadgrotty
Hi I am completing my AS courses right now and I am taking 5
(Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics and Arabic) and art subsidiary (BTEC course) and my target grades are all As in my AS courses and a double distinction in art (equivalent to an A) and I was wondering if it is possible to get into certain universities wit just AS grades (without completing full a-levels)

I want to study architecture and I am aware that it is very competitive- my first option is McGill and I read on their site that they accept either a minimum of 3 a-levels (AAA for architecture) or 2 a-levels and 2 different AS levels. But I have friends who told me that they make a few exceptions if you have a good amount of AS subjects with exceptional grades (As). And I also know (100% sure) that with a lot of other Canadian Universities, they accept either a minimum of 2 full a-levels or just 4 AS levels. I have a friend who got into McMaster with 4 AS levels and UBC as well with 4 AS levels and I wanted to know if I have a chance of getting into McGill with 5 AS levels ..? :confused:

Also since I want to apply for architecture, they need a portfolio (the portfolio is taken into account when reviewing applications) so basically my question is do I have a good chance of getting in with just AS grades if I get 5 As and have a strong portfolio?
Oh and for GCSEs I took Maths (A*), 3 sciences (A* in physics, A*chem and an A in bio) , English (A* in lit and A in language), french (A*), economics (A), art (A*) , history (A*), arabic (A*) and further maths (C):colondollar:

Please please help mee :smile:

I'm not an architect but I am a UCL medic....

I would be shocked that a competitive course would give offers to anything less than their set A2 grades.

Why are you not doing A2?!?
There are definitely no competitive courses or universities in the UK that would let you in without full A Levels or equivalent. You got excellent GCSE results and you're presumably bright if you're taking 5 subjects to AS. Why don't you want to do A2? You probably could get into some lower ranking Unis but I'd have thought you'd be aiming higher.
Reply 3
Original post by DoctorInTraining
I'm not an architect but I am a UCL medic....

I would be shocked that a competitive course would give offers to anything less than their set A2 grades.

Why are you not doing A2?!?

Well I'm not definitely not doing my A2s :smile: I just thought might as well try to get in with AS grades- you know give it a go if it works out.
But apparently A2s are much much harder than American/ Canadian high school so you get extra credits and less hours to complete a course at uni (in Canada/ America) if you have full a-levels.
so I guess I could try with just AS grades and not get extra credits and fewer hours ?
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
There are definitely no competitive courses or universities in the UK that would let you in without full A Levels or equivalent. You got excellent GCSE results and you're presumably bright if you're taking 5 subjects to AS. Why don't you want to do A2? You probably could get into some lower ranking Unis but I'd have thought you'd be aiming higher.

Oh yes 100% aware I won't get into any good UK unis without full a-levels that's why I haven't bothered applying :smile: I still will go on and finish off my A2s I just thought why not try get into any good Canadian unis with just AS grades; give it a go.. I applied to 2 Canadian ones and got accepted (Dalhousie and York) with just my predicted AS and portfolio and GCSEs
But I don't even know if I have a shot at McGill :confused:
Well I'm not definitely not doing my A2s :smile: I just thought might as well try to get in with AS grades- you know give it a go if it works out.
But apparently A2s are much much harder than American/ Canadian high school so you get extra credits and less hours to complete a course at uni (in Canada/ America) if you have full a-levels.
so I guess I could try with just AS grades and not get extra credits and fewer hours ?

A levels are free to study whilst you are under 19. Make the most of that opportunity!

Oh yes 100% aware I won't get into any good UK unis without full a-levels that's why I haven't bothered applying :smile: I still will go on and finish off my A2s I just thought why not try get into any good Canadian unis with just AS grades; give it a go.. I applied to 2 Canadian ones and got accepted (Dalhousie and York) with just my predicted AS and portfolio and GCSEs
But I don't even know if I have a shot at McGill :confused:

I really can't understand your rationale. You've got free education in the UK and you seem intelligent enough to study A2s, so why not do it? There are lots of brilliant Universities in the UK and it's probably cheaper to study here because of the costs connected with international students. And if you look for a job in the UK, not having taken any A2s will raise questions since most people will.
Reply 7
Even if you could, it would be at a fairly shoddy university plus you will be screwed when you dont have enough UCAS points to qualify for grad schemes.
Reply 8
I really can't understand your rationale. You've got free education in the UK and you seem intelligent enough to study A2s, so why not do it? There are lots of brilliant Universities in the UK and it's probably cheaper to study here because of the costs connected with international students. And if you look for a job in the UK, not having taken any A2s will raise questions since most people will.

Oh I probably should have mentioned this: I am American so it is a lot cheaper for me to study in the states and my mother and brother live in Canada and I carry a Canadian citizenship so Canadian unis are also cheaper and I want to study in either Canada or the US. Also I don't live in the UK and I am in a private school so it isn't free. :frown:
Oh I probably should have mentioned this: I am American so it is a lot cheaper for me to study in the states and my mother and brother live in Canada and I carry a Canadian citizenship so Canadian unis are also cheaper and I want to study in either Canada or the US. Also I don't live in the UK and I am in a private school so it isn't free. :frown:

Fair enough, but I would still talk to your teachers about not doing A2s. It could potentially put you at a massive disadvantage.
Reply 10
Fair enough, but I would still talk to your teachers about not doing A2s. It could potentially put you at a massive disadvantage.

Yes I agree- and I am still planning on doing them but I just thought I could maybe try and get into some decent American or Canadian unis with just my AS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending