The Student Room Group

anyone else stressed by GCSE's?

I am so stressed out by all the GCSE work. Every week we have at least 2 test on some subjects, there's so much revision to do and it's all so hard!!!:frown:

Scroll to see replies

GCSEs are easy.

Don't fret brah.
Reply 2
The only worries that I had during my GCSE's were that I had to stop playing COD to go to sleep.

Yep, I was an awful student.
WAIT TILL YOU DO A-LEVELS.

You'll wish you didn't spend summer erasing everything from your brain and when AS comes and your Biology teacher gives you a RECAP GCSE test and laughs in your face going: "You'll never make it through my class with that crap memory."
Reply 4
Feeling it also, we'll pull through some how
Reply 5
Original post by heyoo
I am so stressed out by all the GCSE work. Every week we have at least 2 test on some subjects, there's so much revision to do and it's all so hard!!!:frown:

I was stressed too! I thought I was going to fail, I thought my life would be completely over if I didn't do well! And you know what? There was absolutely know need to worry! and I'll tell you something else, the ones that get stressed tend to do better because they care :smile: Put the work in and you will succeed (especially with GCSE's) :smile:
Reply 6
same we do dat aswell but i wouldnt say its stressful i think my parent stress me out more:biggrin:
Yes. It's so much. Edchvfdysdwj
Reply 8
Ikr i have a massive history assessment this week and i clearly have not,idea how to revise. Ughghhh:confused:
Reply 9
Original post by heyoo
Ikr i have a massive history assessment this week and i clearly have not,idea how to revise. Ughghhh:confused:

get a revise edexcel GCSE book
I'd firstly like everyone who's saying "GCSEs are so easy" to shut up. They're not easy for Year 11s and you're being incredibly unhelpful. Personally, I found my GCSEs more difficult to cope with than my AS Levels.

For all you current Year 11s, you're currently at the hardest part. The mocks are by far the worst part of the year since you've covered most of the content, but your exam technique will still be fairly poor. And of course, this will be your first experience of an intensive exam season. Over the next term, you'll be doing an incredible amount of exam preparation and you'll be given a chance to clarify anything you're not 100% sure about. The actual exam period for me was much less stressful than the mocks, simply because I had the experience of doing it before. Try to calm down, have a restful christmas break, and start revising early. Your school will be giving you kicks up the backside around Easter to revise, but you can get ahead by starting to revise from the February half term. The main problem with GCSEs is the sheer amount of stuff you have to process. Contrary to A Levels where you're expected to have a high level of understanding over a small range of topics, at GCSE you need to know lots of things over a massive range of subjects, many of which you don't like. It's therefore critical that you make clear revision timetables to make sure that you have everything covered.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Chlorophile
I'd firstly like everyone who's saying "GCSEs are so easy" to shut up. They're not easy for Year 11s and you're being incredibly unhelpful. Personally, I found my GCSEs more difficult to cope with than my AS Levels.

For all you current Year 11s, you're currently at the hardest part. The mocks are by far the worst part of the year since you've covered most of the content, but your exam technique will still be fairly poor. And of course, this will be your first experience of an intensive exam season. Over the next term, you'll be doing an incredible amount of exam preparation and you'll be given a chance to clarify anything you're not 100% sure about. The actual exam period for me was much less stressful than the mocks, simply because I had the experience of doing it before. Try to calm down, have a restful christmas break, and start revising early. Your school will be giving you kicks up the backside around Easter to revise, but you can get ahead by starting to revise from the February half term.

This. Also, they've condensed your mocks into two weeks. In the actual summer exams, it'll be spread over a much longer time period and you won't have as many exams crammed into one day so many times. For the mocks I just had, there were 3-5 exams in one day sometimes, and this happened multiple times. In the summer exams, I've checked my timetable and I only have one day with 4 exams (2 of which being Spanish) and the rest are 1/2 exams in one day.

We'll get through it in the end :tongue:
Yeah I'm stressed out too. Honestly, don't worry about the tests and mocks. They don't even mean anything; just revise and put the work in for the real GCSE's, because stress can make you ill.
Original post by Magnesium
This. Also, they've condensed your mocks into two weeks. In the actual summer exams, it'll be spread over a much longer time period and you won't have as many exams crammed into one day so many times. For the mocks I just had, there were 3-5 exams in one day sometimes, and this happened multiple times. In the summer exams, I've checked my timetable and I only have one day with 4 exams (2 of which being Spanish) and the rest are 1/2 exams in one day.

We'll get through it in the end :tongue:

Absolutely. The time pressure is so much better in the summer. I never had more than two exams on one day, and there were two cases where I had practically an entire week to revise for a single exam.
Absolutely. The time pressure is so much better in the summer. I never had more than two exams on one day, and there were two cases where I had practically an entire week to revise for a single exam.

It's just ridiculous the amount of stress and pressure the teachers are putting on us, on top of the fact that we're pressurising ourselves to do well as well. We still have entire units to go through in most subjects and controlled assessments to finish, everyone is literally trying to cram their subjects in and my school is planning another round of mocks just before the summer exams! Argh.

For all you current Year 11s, you're currently at the hardest part. The mocks are by far the worst part of the year since you've covered most of the content, but your exam technique will still be fairly poor. And of course, this will be your first experience of an intensive exam season. Over the next term, you'll be doing an incredible amount of exam preparation and you'll be given a chance to clarify anything you're not 100% sure about. The actual exam period for me was much less stressful than the mocks, simply because I had the experience of doing it before. Try to calm down, have a restful christmas break, and start revising early. Your school will be giving you kicks up the backside around Easter to revise, but you can get ahead by starting to revise from the February half term. The main problem with GCSEs is the sheer amount of stuff you have to process. Contrary to A Levels where you're expected to have a high level of understanding over a small range of topics, at GCSE you need to know lots of things over a massive range of subjects, many of which you don't like. It's therefore critical that you make clear revision timetables to make sure that you have everything covered.

Actually, I have MUCH more to remember for a levels right now than I ever did at GCSE. I'm not saying they are easy, because at the time I was worried too, but I can pretty much guarantee my summer exam timetable will be a lot worse than most peoples GCSE one
Original post by lauraaaaa
Actually, I have MUCH more to remember for a levels right now than I ever did at GCSE. I'm not saying they are easy, because at the time I was worried too, but I can pretty much guarantee my summer exam timetable will be a lot worse than most peoples GCSE one

I'm finding my ASs a lot easier than GCSEs simply because there are fewer subjects. At GCSE, I was trying to juggle 12 subjects simultaneously of which a significant proportion I hated, which was much more difficult than studying for 4 subjects that I love. Yes, the work is conceptually much more difficult but the process of studying is less painful.
I'm finding my ASs a lot easier than GCSEs simply because there are fewer subjects. At GCSE, I was trying to juggle 12 subjects simultaneously of which a significant proportion I hated, which was much more difficult than studying for 4 subjects that I love. Yes, the work is conceptually much more difficult but the process of studying is less painful.

It's all manageable until you have 11 exams in 14 school days! You haven't had to revise the whole years work for an a level exam yet, trust me, much more difficult than GCSEs.
Reply 18
Ive got like 57575 exams in 2 weeks and I revised just for 1. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 7 exams in one week and that's painful for me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest