The Student Room Group

LGBT+ Chat XIII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dragonkeeper999
Awesome! What did you do to your hair? I've always wanted to dye mine...
I'm good, currently in Scotland doing an internship :smile: Really good fun, but a bit lonely :frown:

I have short, thin twists which are curled at the end, they are so cute, I really don't understand why people always go for plaits when they get extensions done (although I'd love to have purple plaits in my hair one day)

Wow, it must be a really good opportunity! Why did you decide to do it? And aww~
I keep telling to myself that I'll come out to my parents every few days then proceed bottle it each and every time. :rolleyes: Anybody else get fed up with people assuming they're straight?
Original post by Marcum
I keep telling to myself that I'll come out to my parents every few days then proceed bottle it each and every time. :rolleyes: Anybody else get fed up with people assuming they're straight?

I dunno, sometimes I find it amusing, like if I'm in a group of people who don't know me well enough to know I'm not, and they're discussing gay/bi people I feel like a spy :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
I dunno, sometimes I find it amusing, like if I'm in a group of people who don't know me well enough to know I'm not, and they're discussing gay/bi people I feel like a spy :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh wow, I am enlightened! Would it be correct to label us gaygents?

My driving instructor once thought I was looking at some girl because I was attracted to her when in fact I was judging her choice of footwear with her dress. :tongue:
Original post by Marcum
Oh wow, I am enlightened! Would it be correct to label us gaygents?

My driving instructor once thought I was looking at some girl because I was attracted to her when in fact I was judging her choice of footwear with her dress. :tongue:

Haha secret gaygents :tongue:

Hahaha that's so funny :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lucy_Noble
I have short, thin twists which are curled at the end, they are so cute, I really don't understand why people always go for plaits when they get extensions done (although I'd love to have purple plaits in my hair one day)

Wow, it must be a really good opportunity! Why did you decide to do it? And aww~

Sounds cute!
Yeah, it's basically my dream job - working in a cancer research lab :smile: What are you up to this summer?
Original post by Marcum

Yep, pretty much :/ I'm not that fussed about telling my parents 'cause it's not like I'm dating anyone or know any bi/lesbian girls haha, it's just when everyone's asking "got a boyfriend yet?" or presuming I'm going to marry a guy. Even the other day one of my parents' friends said "I've got a picture of you from when you were 10, that's definitely one to show future boyfriends!". Idk maybe it frustrates me too much that everyone presumes that everyone else is straight even though the majority of people are straight. It's just kinda annoying not to be able to express yourself I guess. I want to tell friends but the ones that don't know are all female and I guess I know things might change with some of them, like I wouldn't be able to say "you look nice today!" without them thinking I fancy them or something haha :hmpf:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Omg hahahaha I do that too. I'm just there like "so you think bi people are freaks?" and they're like "yeah.." and then I just mentally unfriend them :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds cute!
Yeah, it's basically my dream job - working in a cancer research lab :smile: What are you up to this summer?

Okay no that actually sounds amazing!! I've been applying to jobs/volunteering to at least give me something to do/a chance of social interaction, and I'm going on holiday to Portugal before results (results T_T)
Original post by Marcum

When my dad saw my new hairstyle, he asked if it was to attract boyfriends XD My dad thinks that it's a phase and I'll get over it, well bad news for him!

I have a policy to come out to people as soon as possible, unless it's a work environment, as much as I'd like to expel any and all bigotry in my life, I'd like to be able to work knowing that no one wants to skin me because of who I'm attracted to and how I define myself.
Okay no that actually sounds amazing!! I've been applying to jobs/volunteering to at least give me something to do/a chance of social interaction, and I'm going on holiday to Portugal before results (results T_T)

Haha, yeah it's pretty awesome :smile: Spent most of today attempting (and failing) to look up PCR primers for a few obscure oncogenes which wasn't quite as exciting as some of the other stuff though...
Good luck with the job hunt! I remember applying for SOOO many jobs last year and not getting offered any :frown: Keep it up though :smile: If you can get some voluntary work to get some experience for your CV (and have something useful to do over the summer...) that would be great :smile:

RESULTS!!! :woo: Good luck :smile: So relieved I don't have to go through that stress again!

Enjoy your holiday! Whereabouts in Portugal are you going?
Haha, yeah it's pretty awesome :smile: Spent most of today attempting (and failing) to look up PCR primers for a few obscure oncogenes which wasn't quite as exciting as some of the other stuff though...
Good luck with the job hunt! I remember applying for SOOO many jobs last year and not getting offered any :frown: Keep it up though :smile: If you can get some voluntary work to get some experience for your CV (and have something useful to do over the summer...) that would be great :smile:

RESULTS!!! :woo: Good luck :smile: So relieved I don't have to go through that stress again!

Enjoy your holiday! Whereabouts in Portugal are you going?

That sounds...interesting...

I know my friends have been through that struggle, I already have a tutoring job lined up but the hours are rubbish, and I have no desire to work in retail, I actually can't win! Volunteering on the other hand is great, I'm already doing stuff with the Red Cross but I've been looking at other places as well, and I have an interview on Friday ^^

Thank you, I'm sure I'll need it :'(

The Algarve! It's the second time my family have gone there but I don't care, it's such a lovely place!
When my dad saw my new hairstyle, he asked if it was to attract boyfriends XD My dad thinks that it's a phase and I'll get over it, well bad news for him!

I have a policy to come out to people as soon as possible, unless it's a work environment, as much as I'd like to expel any and all bigotry in my life, I'd like to be able to work knowing that no one wants to skin me because of who I'm attracted to and how I define myself.

How do you usually go about coming out to people? I've always been kinda curious as to how others bring it up in conversation as it's something I struggle with:colondollar:
Struggling to decide whether I should join a local LGBT group. It's called 'Space' but I've no idea what people do there. And it'll probably be full of creepy guys just wanting to hook up for sex? Opinions, anyone?
That sounds...interesting...

I know my friends have been through that struggle, I already have a tutoring job lined up but the hours are rubbish, and I have no desire to work in retail, I actually can't win! Volunteering on the other hand is great, I'm already doing stuff with the Red Cross but I've been looking at other places as well, and I have an interview on Friday ^^

Thank you, I'm sure I'll need it :'(

The Algarve! It's the second time my family have gone there but I don't care, it's such a lovely place!

Haha, it's not :tongue: Well, it could be worse - but not quite as fun as the actual hands-on lab work stuff :smile:

Tutoring's great! I private tutored a couple of students this year and really enjoyed it :smile: Well, it's good as long as you get cooperative and enthusiastic students, not so much when they refuse to do your homework or turn up... Yeah, retail never appealed to me either - I applied to lots of summer camp jobs mainly, and a few retail ones close enough to home (i.e. very few as I live in the middle of nowhere :tongue: ) What have you been doing with the Red Cross? You could look into volunteering at the library (I did that a few years ago and it was great - probably better in the summer as many libraries run reading schemes for kids) or an old people's home if that's what you're interested in :smile: What's your interview for? Good luck :smile:

That sounds nice! I'd love to get abroad somewhere sunny... it's raining in Scotland already :frown:
Original post by SoggyTractor
Struggling to decide whether I should join a local LGBT group. It's called 'Space' but I've no idea what people do there. And it'll probably be full of creepy guys just wanting to hook up for sex? Opinions, anyone?

Perhaps send an email/ phone whoever runs it to ask if there are many people your age who go? The LGBT+ groups at uni tend to just involve everyone chatting over pizza and a film or running talks/ debates - but I'm not sure how ones outside of uni are.
Perhaps send an email/ phone whoever runs it to ask if there are many people your age who go? The LGBT+ groups at uni tend to just involve everyone chatting over pizza and a film or running talks/ debates - but I'm not sure how ones outside of uni are.

They're all 16-25 like me but that's not the point. I'm worried the members will attend because of extreme issues like homelessness/family breakdowns/mental health issues/diseases and I won't be able to relate to them.
Original post by LydiaFirefly<3
How do you usually go about coming out to people? I've always been kinda curious as to how others bring it up in conversation as it's something I struggle with:colondollar:

Aww, well basically if someone says something that assumes I'm straight, I just correct them about it! Or when talking about past relationships I can just casually mention an ex who was a girl. It doesn't have to be a huge declaration or confession and I don't see it that way, I just call it 'clarification' :biggrin:
Haha, it's not :tongue: Well, it could be worse - but not quite as fun as the actual hands-on lab work stuff :smile:

Tutoring's great! I private tutored a couple of students this year and really enjoyed it :smile: Well, it's good as long as you get cooperative and enthusiastic students, not so much when they refuse to do your homework or turn up... Yeah, retail never appealed to me either - I applied to lots of summer camp jobs mainly, and a few retail ones close enough to home (i.e. very few as I live in the middle of nowhere :tongue: ) What have you been doing with the Red Cross? You could look into volunteering at the library (I did that a few years ago and it was great - probably better in the summer as many libraries run reading schemes for kids) or an old people's home if that's what you're interested in :smile: What's your interview for? Good luck :smile:

That sounds nice! I'd love to get abroad somewhere sunny... it's raining in Scotland already :frown:

Its really bad how much I love science yet hate most lab work, it can be really tedious and if you make one mistake its all messed up and you don't get to see the beautiful science that you just worked over an hour to see :frown: If it wasn't for that I would definitely be applying for BioMed at uni.

I was looking into private tutoring but all the agencies I wanted to register with want you to be 18+, and I have no idea how to advertise myself :s-smilie: I really don't want anything residential, if I ended up hating the environment, what would I do?!

With the Red Cross its Peer Education (giving talks/presentations about humanitarian issues) and Peer Befriending (volunteering at a youth club for refugees, its super fun but they are in break now). I'm looking to volunteer at Brook, hopefully something related to peer education!

Sunny's nice and all but I;m yearning for a city break with lots of shopping and museums, and also because I'm really starting to hate the heat...
Aww, well basically if someone says something that assumes I'm straight, I just correct them about it! Or when talking about past relationships I can just casually mention an ex who was a girl. It doesn't have to be a huge declaration or confession and I don't see it that way, I just call it 'clarification' :biggrin:

Ohh I see..that actually seems like a good way of telling someone, thanks :biggrin: Think I'll try mentioning it when the next conversation about relationships arises :tongue: It still feels like a confession for me though tbh haha :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest