The Student Room Group

Meeting a partner...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DorianGrayism
Ok….Good enough in what sense? What do you think is going to happen if you go on a date with someone that you know?

I think the way I act, they can get someone with a nicer personality and who treats them nice so why would they want me? I think I'd slip up and say something rude/dumb and they'd be like wtf
Original post by Tolaaa
I think the way I act, they can get someone with a nicer personality and who treats them nice so why would they want me? I think I'd slip up and say something rude/dumb and they'd be like wtf

Ok….but why don't you let them decide that for themselves? Maybe, they like you.

In my experience….people that are actually are not nice…do not realise it or create excuses for it. So I doubt that is actually the case for you.

Maybe, you don't want to get hurt because you have been before…? That is usually the case with a lot of people.
Ok….but why don't you let them decide that for themselves? Maybe, they like you.

In my experience….people that are actually are not nice…do not realise it or create excuses for it. So I doubt that is actually the case for you.

Maybe, you don't want to get hurt because you have been before…? That is usually the case with a lot of people.

That is true, I don't know what other people think of me, that is sort of the case for me well I went out with this boy last year and he was so rude to me but I really liked him and then we broke up and he went out with another girl straight after and they're still going out so I always think now maybe I'm not good enough or something and if I like someone they will leave me or they're talking to someone else.
Original post by Tolaaa
That is true, I don't know what other people think of me, that is sort of the case for me well I went out with this boy last year and he was so rude to me but I really liked him and then we broke up and he went out with another girl straight after and they're still going out so I always think now maybe I'm not good enough or something and if I like someone they will leave me or they're talking to someone else.

Ok….were you actually going out….because you said you never went on a date…?

Well, I know very few people that stay with the person that you go out with first. Large part of that is because each relationship is a learning experience. Your first relationship is usually full of mistakes.
Ok….were you actually going out….because you said you never went on a date…?

Well, I know very few people that stay with the person that you go out with first. Large part of that is because each relationship is a learning experience. Your first relationship is usually full of mistakes.

It wasn't really official but everyone in college at the time knew, I think meeting up wasn't really dates maybe because I knew him so well as a friend before? I don't know

The bit I highlighted is so true, I actually learnt a lot from that
Original post by Tolaaa
It wasn't really official but everyone in college at the time knew, I think meeting up wasn't really dates maybe because I knew him so well as a friend before? I don't know

The bit I highlighted is so true, I actually learnt a lot from that

Lol Ok…because your first post sounded like you had never been in a relationship of any sort.

You will be ok.
Lol Ok…because your first post sounded like you had never been in a relationship of any sort.

You will be ok.

I don't know if that was a relationship, but looking back on it I wasn't scared to go out with him so why am I scared to meet up with other people?
Original post by Tolaaa
I don't know if that was a relationship, but looking back on it I wasn't scared to go out with him so why am I scared to meet up with other people?

Because…..you don't want to be hurt by someone that is going to leave you like this guy did?

I assume that is the issue. Maybe, that is why you didn't mention it till now. You just don't really like talking about it.
Because…..you don't want to be hurt by someone that is going to leave you like this guy did?

I assume that is the issue. Maybe, that is why you didn't mention it till now. You just don't really like talking about it.

Yeah I'm trying to act like it never happened even though it did, maybe I'm still not over it? but they do say your past effects your future, at least now I know the problem I will try and not let it get in the way
Original post by Tolaaa
Was he from England?

No, he's from Scotland, which is a bonus cos dat accent = :drool: :coma: :perv:
Reply 70
Original post by Tolaaa
How old if you don't mind me asking? I know people who are 24/25 and married, that's only 4/5 years from me! The ones that are nice and I like I get scared that they'll too nice for me because I'm a bit of a bitch at times

Iv just turned 29 a week ago. Trust me your over thinking things as when you finish your studies and uni and get a job etc you'll meet people who are like minded. As for being a birch sometimes well thats probably how everyone can be at some points but its your responsibility not to be like that not your potential partners to put up with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3

Oi! (do not disagree tbh but still, oi!) hehe

P.S. Would love to have seen such internet bravado prior to the neg removal.. :rolleyes:

Tsk, you shoulda read my spoiler :p:

I probably would have still said the same thing even if I could get negged. I don't really care that much, cos it's not like anyone can really prove me wrong anyway :p: *shrugs*
Original post by Mephestic
I thought I'd post as I'm probably a little older and can look back at my youth and analyse it a bit more.
First things first there's nothing wrong with rejecting guys but my advice is to give the ones that are nice, considerate and caring a go more so than those that simply try to impress etc. Guys like that are looking to get with as many girls as possible and at your age they certainly won't be thinking of settling down.
Also there's nothing wrong with having a date to see how things go and you can have as many as you like- how the relationship unfolds should feel natural to you and if its uncomfortable then its probably not for you. I know women who are 24+ that have not had a boyfriend and its not because they weren't pretty because they were but rather they waited for the right person who did come along and treated then how they wanted. Love and life works itself out but not if you make bad choices and get involved with the losers who simply hold you back in your life. Someone stable with motivation and a good work work ethic is so important as getting with someone that doesn't share similar ideals to you results in one person sacrificing their owns to meet the other persons and if thats in the main areas such as career, children, view on the world and values it becomes difficult to work

Posted from TSR Mobile

agree with this. my husband belonged in the nice category and I knew where we were right from the start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by Tolaaa
That is my 'new years resolution' even though its before new years... I always regret when I say no

you have nothing to lose, most people are shy you just have to get over it.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
No, he's from Scotland, which is a bonus cos dat accent = :drool: :coma: :perv:

How did you manage a LDR? Plus that accent
Original post by Foo.mp3
A real man can deal with a bitch, and a great man can help a girl with unhealthy character traits see the errors of her ways, and iron them out, with time :smile:

That is so true but its so rare to find a guy like that...

Original post by Foo.mp3
You got talked into a FWB situation and taken for a ride, that blows but no reason to hate on men

Exactly that I got asked so many times and kept saying 'no' until I gave in

Original post by Foo.mp3
Learn from that experience, be upfront about what you are looking for at the appropriate time e.g. early on in dating, ideally before you start sleeping with a guy

Looking back I was so naive!
Original post by Mephestic
Iv just turned 29 a week ago. Trust me your over thinking things as when you finish your studies and uni and get a job etc you'll meet people who are like minded. As for being a birch sometimes well thats probably how everyone can be at some points but its your responsibility not to be like that not your potential partners to put up with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is so true I need to stop over thinking, just finish my studies and get a job a boyfriend will fall into place whenever
Original post by lucas13
you have nothing to lose, most people are shy you just have to get over it.

I'm so happy I made this thread, I've learnt so much from other people :colondollar:
Reply 78
thanks for sharing this topic because i also need this types questions..thanks
Reply 79
..the relative cost of him missing out on all the pussy he could be getting is deemed worthwhile, in comparison to the benefits of the relationship*

Girls should understand that for those of us capable, discerning, red blooded males out there who can get laid, this kind of behaviour is counterproductive as:

1) We will just go elsewhere to 'get our oats'

2) We will interpret such arbitrary conditions as indicative of immaturity and/or insecurity (neither of which are attractive qualities to said males)

To be honest if I've never believed in love so if a girl does this to me I'll break up with her.. However a girl that's 20 and hasn't had a date should take precautions while dating. If a guy likes a girl he will wait till marriage if he has to.. Most guys I know say exactly what you just said then go up the girls ass and become her bitch

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending