The Student Room Group

Studying a PhD degree while living in a different city - the Visa Question

Hi all! I got accepted to a PhD programme, and I am required to apply to the Student Visa to study.

I am thinking of living in another city in the UK that is a bit far away from the city my uni is in (it requires a few hours on the train to reach), mainly to live with my partner while undertaking the PhD. The training and supervisor visits are not very frequent so I will be able to commute to the campus whenever it is required, which most likely will be once a month. I have already talked with my supervisor and he is happy with this arrangement. However, my question was would living in a different city during the PhD study raise any problems regarding the Student Visa as long as I am not absent from any in-person meetings/trainings etc?

Can anyone studying a PhD on the Student Visa who was based in another city share their experience whether it caused a problem with their visa status?

Thank you all in advance for your help!
Reply 1
Hi, I know a friend who too decided to live in a different city to be with her partner and as far as I know, she did not face any issues with her visa. If you have sorted this matter with your supervisor and they are happy to support you, I don't think this should be a problem. As long as you attend all the required trainings and one-on-one meetings with your supervisor and are based in the UK for the entire duration of your PhD, you should not really be worried about this. Congratulations for being accepted into the PhD programme and good luck with your doctoral studies!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending