The Student Room Group

How true is this? Weight is genetically determined?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, definately.

I can eat as much as I like and not put on any weight, yet I know some people who nibble a bit of celery and gain 10 stone.
Original post by Bloxorus
It can be. It raises the demand for food, inflating prices meaning people on low incomes have a harder time affording it.

Evidence?
Overweight people underestimate how much they eat.
Thin people overestimate how much they eat.
Original post by Ignorant
Ofc nobody is genetically built to be fat literally, what people mean when they say that is that they may have a really low metabolism (or other factors) due to genetics which on a normal diet will give a fat figure.

Even then, having a low RMR relative to your anthropometry doesn't offset you from the mean very much at all (I can't get access to the systematic review cited :frown:). If your RMR is so low that it's incredibly difficult for you not to be fat through dietary and exercise intervention, you would be a rarity. There isn't very much variance in metabolic rate amongst humans when you control for anthropometric factors.
Reply 24
Weight can vary a lot between individuals - I know people who are far less visibly muscular than me who weigh the same if not more due to having a far larger frame/bone structure. I think what's most important is that body composition (as opposite to overall weight) can be maintained within a fairly narrow range regardless of individual genetics, eg. I doubt there's anyone out there (without an underlying hormonal condition) who couldn't maintain 15% or so bodyfat if they wanted to
Original post by JindleBrey

I can eat as much as I like and not put on any weight, yet I know some people who nibble a bit of celery and gain 10 stone.

Have you ever tried recording and eating 5,000 calories per day for months on end and documenting your weight maintenance?

Similarly, have your acquaintances ever tried recording and eating only celery for months on end and and documenting their weight gain?

I thought not. If they had, you'd know that this wasn't true.

Talking about eating "normally" is completely useless since there is no definition of "normal". If you get more energy from food than you expend, you will gain weight. If you lose more, you will lose weight. Different people expend different amounts, but it is in principle possible for everybody to change their weight. It can be a little bit harder in some cases, but this difficulty tends to be grossly exaggerated in quests to deny self-responsibility. Obese people typically have faster metabolisms than their skinnier counterparts, since maintenance of more mass requires more energy and not less.
Reply 26
Original post by cowsforsale
Evidence?

Basic economic theory.
Reply 27
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Even then, having a low RMR relative to your anthropometry doesn't offset you from the mean very much at all (I can't get access to the systematic review cited :frown:). If your RMR is so low that it's incredibly difficult for you not to be fat through dietary and exercise intervention, you would be a rarity. There isn't very much variance in metabolic rate amongst humans when you control for anthropometric factors.

Heres the problem mate when I calculate my bulking/cutting calories via using rmr calculators and other tools you will notice that the average rmr for the average person is incredibly low. A typical adult will have a rmr between 1000-1800 calories per day. Consider a man or woman for that matter who work office jobs, 3 meals a day can quite easily reach above 1800 calories and most people eat more than that.
I don't think anybody would argue that exercise + diet = weight loss, I even said in my comment that you may be genetically disadvantaged but calories in vs calories out still applies. My point is that a low rmr is significant because rmr in general is not very high at all. Following a "normal" diet will get a large number of people fat simply because rmr values for most people are quite low. My point is that if we were not to excercise and followed a normal diet or even the RIDICULOUS gda of 2500 calories people will quite easily become fat.

I've rambled on a lot and I think what the OP is trying to say is that some people are disadvantaged when it comes to others due to genetics which is entirely true. He/she probably didn't know beforehand that genetics play a big role in rmr. I don't think anyone however is implying somehow that due to genetics you are unable to lose fat using calories in vs calories out because that is clearly 100% wrong.
Original post by Bloxorus
Basic economic theory.

So you're pinpointing the rise in food costs solely due to fat people eating too much, but completely ignore rising fuel costs, a growing global population and climate change?
Original post by Ignorant
Heres the problem mate when I calculate my bulking/cutting calories via using rmr calculators and other tools you will notice that the average rmr for the average person is incredibly low. A typical adult will have a rmr between 1000-1800 calories per day. Consider a man or woman for that matter who work office jobs, 3 meals a day can quite easily reach above 1800 calories and most people eat more than that.
I don't think anybody would argue that exercise + diet = weight loss, I even said in my comment that you may be genetically disadvantaged but calories in vs calories out still applies. My point is that a low rmr is significant because rmr in general is not very high at all. Following a "normal" diet will get a large number of people fat simply because rmr values for most people are quite low. My point is that if we were not to excercise and followed a normal diet or even the RIDICULOUS gda of 2500 calories people will quite easily become fat.

I've rambled on a lot and I think what the OP is trying to say is that some people are disadvantaged when it comes to others due to genetics which is entirely true. He/she probably didn't know beforehand that genetics play a big role in rmr. I don't think anyone however is implying somehow that due to genetics you are unable to lose fat using calories in vs calories out because that is clearly 100% wrong.

The typical adult must be absolutely tiny then. My BMR estimate via Harris-Bennedict is well into the 2000s as a barely normal BMI'd 6'5". :tongue:
Keep in mind NEAT, EAT and DIT though, mate. Even a sedentary office worker HSS a much higher TDEE than their RMR.

Note that I said "when you control for anthropometric measures", mate. This means that barring things like height, weight, and drastic compositional variance (fat-free mass and fat mass), there's little variance (+- 200 for 68% of the population. +-300 for 96% at an average RMR of 2000 - I think you'd agree that this isn't very much!). Of course the average adult male and average adult female are going to have hugely different RMRs. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by SHOO
Counting you calories really helps, count your calories for say, a week? And then set yourself a daily target and follow it and you'll see the difference..

Generally, weight is put on when you gain more calories than you loose, and you loose weight by loosing more calories than you gain.

Sorry to break it to this thread, but most fat people trying to lose weight do actually understand that this involves eating less.

Your revolutionary arguments will, sadly, not get you the nobel prize solving obesity would otherwise have deserved and undoubtedly received.

What someone "naturally" eats is a highly social and psychological phenomenon: the role of genetics pales in comparison.

Oh really? :colone:

Why don't we actually get some evidence injected into this thread. I'll kick us off.

I searched for twin studies and these are the first two i came across: One was on those reared together and showed that monozygotic twins, those that share the same genes, are far more likely to both be obese or both be skinny than dizygotic twins, who share fewer of the same genes. The other was on those reared apart, so if one twin was obese you would expect there to be a circa 10% chance that the other would be as well (population rate). Actually, that chance was 79%. These studies conlcuded that "human fatness is under substantial genetic control" and that 50-70% of obesity is accounted for by purely genetic factors respectively.

I may come back to compare the evidence for diets vs medical/surgical intervention which will answer the truly relevant issue here: what works when tackling obesity. Spoiler: gastric band >>>>> any diet ever.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox

Then I went to her house and saw how much they ate, and I was astounded. It was shocking.

Why do you assume that any genetic (or indeed "medical") factors are going to be those that affect metabolism? If they exist, it will be most likely to be those that affect appetite: high calorie intake is exactly what you would expect in a family who was genetically predisposed to obesity.

Original post by DorianGrayism
Yes. In like very small percentage of the population with odd hormonal issues ( I think there are some cases about Leptin deficiencies around).

What do you think a genetic component would be affecting if it wasn't hormones like Leptin?
Reply 31
Original post by Катя
lol

Something wrong?
Original post by nexttime
Sorry to break it to this thread, but most fat people trying to lose weight do actually understand that this involves eating less.

Your revolutionary arguments will, sadly, not get you the nobel prize solving obesity would otherwise have deserved and undoubtedly received.

Why don't we actually get some evidence injected into this thread. I'll kick us off.

I searched for twin studies and these are the first two i came across: One was on those reared together and showed that monozygotic twins, those that share the same genes, are far more likely to both be obese or both be skinny than dizygotic twins, who share fewer of the same genes. The other was on those reared apart, so if one twin was obese you would expect there to be a circa 10% chance that the other would be as well (population rate). Actually, that chance was 79%. These studies conlcuded that "human fatness is under substantial genetic control" and that 50-70% of obesity is accounted for by purely genetic factors respectively.

I may come back to compare the evidence for diets vs medical/surgical intervention which will answer the truly relevant issue here: what works when tackling obesity. Spoiler: gastric band >>>>> any diet ever.

Why do you assume that any genetic (or indeed "medical") factors are going to be those that affect metabolism? If they exist, it will be most likely to be those that affect appetite: high calorie intake is exactly what you would expect in a family who was genetically predisposed to obesity.

What do you think a genetic component would be affecting if it wasn't hormones like Leptin?

All I meant was that people think they're fat and have no choice in the matter, when the truth is that they've just got used to eating far more than they need. It's possible to stop eating before your appetite is fully satisfied so even if they do have a bigger appetite this doesn't mean they can't lose weight. Although for most it's just a social habit, many don't eat because they're hungry.. Often because they just don't have anything better to do.

People seem to think that they have genetic fat gremlins inside their arteries, grabbing at fat as it goes by - and many just truly believe that what they eat is a normal amount.

When I first started counting calories I was shocked at how much I and my family overate.
Reply 33
Original post by Implication
Have you ever tried recording and eating 5,000 calories per day for months on end and documenting your weight maintenance?

Similarly, have your acquaintances ever tried recording and eating only celery for months on end and and documenting their weight gain?

I thought not. If they had, you'd know that this wasn't true.

Haha, yes I have actually. Not for experimental purposes, but nonetheless. Averaged out at 6000 calories a day or so. Gained 20 kilos very quickly and felt very, very ill.

As soon as I started eating normally (i.e. NORMALLY, i.e. normally, Jesus Christ you know what I mean), it all came off pretty effortlessly within two months.

I also have acquaintances who haven't eaten celery alone for months on end, but who've had vicious eating disorders. Usually ends with a ton of weight loss, a stint at a mental hospital, hysteria + minimal weight gain, then a ton of binging, then freak out, and then around the whole cycle again.

:hmmmm2:
Reply 34
Original post by Ripper-Roo
Something wrong?

Nah, just chuckling to myself because I used to believe the same thing.

Give it five years, sweetheart. "Willpower", my arse.

If you're having to exercise maliciously on a daily basis and constantly restrict your food intake to semi-starvation levels (i.e. 1200 calories, i.e. like I did), then yeah, the weight you're at as a result of that is not sustainable (and probably not a very good idea, either).

I'd just like to add that "control" was a poor choice for the first study in that they haven't shown genetics "controls" obesity so much as influences it. Some people may well be predisposed to obesity, but that does mean that their genes actually control what they eat; they still possess (in principle) the capacity to eat less and hence reduce their body fat.

I don't think (m)anyone is proposing that genetics don't play a role at all; I for one contend only that genetics don't directly cause obesity and that it is in principle possible for anyone to lose weight.
Original post by Катя
Haha, yes I have actually. Not for experimental purposes, but nonetheless. Averaged out at 6000 calories a day or so. Gained 20 kilos very quickly and felt very, very ill.

As soon as I started eating normally (i.e. NORMALLY, i.e. normally, Jesus Christ you know what I mean), it all came off pretty effortlessly within two months.

I also have acquaintances who haven't eaten celery alone for months on end, but who've had vicious eating disorders. Usually ends with a ton of weight loss, a stint at a mental hospital, hysteria + minimal weight gain, then a ton of binging, then freak out, and then around the whole cycle again.

:hmmmm2:

Not sure if you're disagreeing with me here. The two examples you cited agree with what I say? If you eat more you gain weight; if you eat less you lose it.

I put on 20kg in 8 months quite easily and have subsequently lost 9 of those 20 in the past 3 months. But the fact that I can put on weight and lose weight doesn't mean that everyone else can... but fortunately that's what we have science for :smile:
Bull**** study, i'll put these people in Africa for a little while, see them starve and loose weight. I know people who were born fat and are now skinny as hell, vice versa, it depends on what you put in your mouth. Not this fake study.

:yawn:
Reply 39
The typical adult must be absolutely tiny then. My BMR estimate via Harris-Bennedict is well into the 2000s as a barely normal BMI'd 6'5". :tongue:
Keep in mind NEAT, EAT and DIT though, mate. Even a sedentary office worker HSS a much higher TDEE than their RMR.

Note that I said "when you control for anthropometric measures", mate. This means that barring things like height, weight, and drastic compositional variance (fat-free mass and fat mass), there's little variance (+- 200 for 68% of the population. +-300 for 96% at an average RMR of 2000 - I think you'd agree that this isn't very much!). Of course the average adult male and average adult female are going to have hugely different RMRs. :smile:

All of which is true but your fuarking huge mate at 6'5
I just did a calculation for myself and i got 1900 which isn't particularly high and i'm 6ft and at about 84kg

Now doing it for an average male = 5 foot 9, about 70kg which is a healthy bmi at age 25 and you get a result of around 1700 calories.
Doing it for the same except changing the age to now 50 years old and its only 1500 calories which is very low.
if anybody ate at the gda of 2500 calories they would be dam fat.

But yeah in general your right, there's not much variance in people and blaming genetics is usually an excuse.

Quick Reply

Latest