The Student Room Group

Thinking of leaving my girlfriend to continue travelling

I met my girlfriend a year and a half ago while we were both in Canada. We were both there on working holiday visas. It was the first working holiday I’ve done, and I want to do more - Japan, Australia, New Zealand… I’m 26 and a half, so I don’t have many more years left to do these visas. She’s 32 though, which means she’s too old now for working holiday visas. I’d love to stay with her, but at the same time I want to continue travelling. I imagine it’d be difficult for her to stay with me, as she can only get tourist visas. She’s not particularly interested in travelling either, though she told she’d be willing to try, to stay with me.

We get on really well and easily - before we got together, she was one of my best friends. I feel though i might regret it if I don’t take these working holidays while I have the chance. My plan was to just keep doing working holiday visas, until I get too old in a few years’ time.

I wonder if it would be easy to meet someone like her again. It’s an awful thing to be lonely, and I’m not ready to be single again. The happiest time of my life has been with her. Though I wonder if I’m just staying with her to avoid being lonely.

The reason I’m writing this now, is because I’m back in England temporarily, and I planned to get the Japan working holiday visa while I’m here (it can only be got in person at the embassy in London). This would put a time limit on me though to start the visa a year from now, or else it expires. I would love to go to Japan, it’s what I’ve been looking forward to. I don’t know. Part of me knows that I need to make use of the opportunities now, the working holiday visas; and the other part of me can’t bear to leave her. We get on so well together… I have tried to talk to her about this, but other things keep coming up.

I guess I just wanted to hear some advice about what to do.
Don't put your life on hold for a woman.
Reply 2
A thought that you're probably not considering for yourself, but it is going to become important for your girlfriend fairly soon, is that your girlfriend is 32. If she wants to have children, she needs to be with the right man either now or fairly soon. If you are not the right man, then both for her sake and for yours, now is not the time for your relationship to be just ambling along without any clear direction.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending