The Student Room Group

Giving up on the prospect of getting a woman

I can't take it anymore. I am 21 years old (male) and am terrible with women. Maybe it's because I come from a completely different background from everyone that I have met (even though I am British). Even at the club, girls don't look twice at me. I'm not even ugly (I used to be given good compliments about my looks by both men and women). It's not like I am incapable of talking to women, either. Yet, 21 years later, no success at all. Yes, I do also go to university. Lord knows how frustrated and angry I am; I am so close to wiping my hands completely.
I'm not going to lie I feel the exact same, I will say to you though there are a lot of men (and women believe it or not) in this boat.

The problem is VERY common for our age. The thing is realistically look around and you will probably see most people aren't getting laid/don't have a girlfriend/boyfriend. A lot do yes but equally a lot don't

Try not to be too hard on yourself. It can be difficult to resist the urge to become bitter and start to hate women, they can be awfully cold and defensive but remember that's because they're used to being treated quite badly by us (some guys are total sleeze)

If you really want to find one I'd honestly suggest just looking to girls on your facebook who you chat too, you don't know one might already like you. Alternatively you should go out there and look for one, the worst advice in the world is this "wait and it will come" crap that some people spew. You can't simpl wait for money and a BMW so you can't for a girl.

Dress good (very important) do your hair. Go gym (all of this is just for confidence, not getting girls. Getting girls is 90% confidence, 10% assets. I know a guy who is 5"5, below average looks yet he has slept with over 30 girls and I've seen him pull and the text messages he gets, it's all because he has an almost sociopathic level of confidence in himself + charisma.

Never get down about this, it will ruin your chances more like a horrible cycle, hope this helps and damn i better get bare rep for this **** cause I should be doing my essay :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by voodoochild
I'm not going to lie I feel the exact same, I will say to you though there are a lot of men (and women believe it or not) in this boat.

The problem is VERY common for our age. The thing is realistically look around and you will probably see most people aren't getting laid/don't have a girlfriend/boyfriend. A lot do yes but equally a lot don't

Try not to be too hard on yourself. It can be difficult to resist the urge to become bitter and start to hate women, they can be awfully cold and defensive but remember that's because they're used to being treated quite badly by us (some guys are total sleeze)

If you really want to find one I'd honestly suggest just looking to girls on your facebook who you chat too, you don't know one might already like you. Alternatively you should go out there and look for one, the worst advice in the world is this "wait and it will come" crap that some people spew. You can't simpl wait for money and a BMW so you can't for a girl.

Dress good (very important) do your hair. Go gym (all of this is just for confidence, not getting girls. Getting girls is 90% confidence, 10% assets. I know a guy who is 5"5, below average looks yet he has slept with over 30 girls and I've seen him pull and the text messages he gets, it's all because he has an almost sociopathic level of confidence in himself + charisma.

Never get down about this, it will ruin your chances more like a horrible cycle, hope this helps and damn i better get bare rep for this **** cause I should be doing my essay :wink:

Thank you for the advice! I am already doing the things that you have suggested, I should add: I go to the gym, I dress well, I groom myself well, I smell nice etc. The reason why I started going to the gym in the first place was because of my self-esteem (or lack thereof); since going, my confidence and self-esteem have increased a lot. I have been going to the gym for close to six months now and my body looks a lot better than it did six months ago; I used to be slightly chubby, now I have a muscular body and I have a visible 8 pack outline.
It still bothers me that, despite all of this, I am still struggling. 99% of men that I meet have more experience than I do. It's hard to feel like a man sometimes when I am this inexperience (it legitimately upsets me). There's nothing (that I know of) that is wrong with me. Why am I struggling? It just doesn't make any damn sense!
Maybe try joining societies etc at uni? Then you'll meet girls who have similar interests to you. Or go to things associated with your course? (If your course has a decent society that organises nights out etc). Not sure what else to suggest but I do feel that meeting people in clubs etc isn't always the most successful of places so I'd suggest more sober events :tongue:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I can't take it anymore. I am 21 years old (male) and am terrible with women. Maybe it's because I come from a completely different background from everyone that I have met (even though I am British). Even at the club, girls don't look twice at me. I'm not even ugly (I used to be given good compliments about my looks by both men and women). It's not like I am incapable of talking to women, either. Yet, 21 years later, no success at all. Yes, I do also go to university. Lord knows how frustrated and angry I am; I am so close to wiping my hands completely.

Don't give up. Although I am in a similar position I am 20 and a female, I am literally at my wits end of trying to find myself a boyfriend who isn't like the kind of guys that try to approach me as they are users and I don't want to be used. It's a shame.:frown:
x

Repped :smile:

It's true, OP. Soooo many people are in the same boat (just glancing at the Relationships section of TSR tells you this). If you want to 'get a woman' then you need to go woman hunting! They won't come to you, you have to go to them! :smile:
Original post by lou 22
Don't give up. Although I am in a similar position I am 20 and a female, I am literally at my wits end of trying to find myself a boyfriend who isn't like the kind of guys that try to approach me as they are users and I don't want to be used. It's a shame.:frown:

See even girls have this issue. i do think though girls are a lot less vocal on here about it though. I think it's a real frustration because it is difficult to meet people at the high pace lives we all live, with deadlines, work jobs etc. In fact i was talking to a girl and it all sorta just went downhill cause I've got 4 deadlines, she has loads too it just really fell apart and now i think she's gone on holiday so yeah it's difficult but there is hope so d/w.
Reply 7
See even girls have this issue. i do think though girls are a lot less vocal on here about it though. I think it's a real frustration because it is difficult to meet people at the high pace lives we all live, with deadlines, work jobs etc. In fact i was talking to a girl and it all sorta just went downhill cause I've got 4 deadlines, she has loads too it just really fell apart and now i think she's gone on holiday so yeah it's difficult but there is hope so d/w.

It is a shame, I was in a similar situation but i would say it has ended the same never to happen again :frown: I have done a few threads about this issue it's sad that a lot if people are in the same boat :frown:

Have you not even got off with a girl, not even a drunk one? Doesn't take much, especially as you have said you're not ugly. Let me ask you this, have you actually put yourself out there, been that guy that has made a move, asked a girl out or have you been the guy that goes to clubs/parties and stood comfortably with people you know. I don't mean to sound critical, as I think we have all been there, just wondering.
If Bassetts can do it, then so can you.
Reply 10
Original post by IdeasForLife
If Bassetts can do it, then so can you.

He has a girlfriend now?

Have you not even got off with a girl, not even a drunk one? Doesn't take much, especially as you have said you're not ugly. Let me ask you this, have you actually put yourself out there, been that guy that has made a move, asked a girl out or have you been the guy that goes to clubs/parties and stood comfortably with people you know. I don't mean to sound critical, as I think we have all been there, just wondering.

Not even a drunk one. Trust me, I have tried... But nothing. Just a few days ago, I tried dancing with a girl, yet she immediately pushed me away... And, about 10 minutes later, she was getting off with two other guys. I don't know anymore.
I would stop going to a club hoping to get with someone, as most people (especially girls) just want to have a good time with their friends and not have some random guy start grinding on them. Go to the smoking area if you want to meet new people. I always end up meeting random girls and i'm not remotely good looking, certainly not compared to the other men in my friendship groups. If I had some self confidence to act in any of those situations, i'd almost certainly have had some 'success' as it were.

Most people these days seem to meet through mutual friends. Even with me the last few people i've so much as kissed of late (not that there are many lol) have all been someone i've met because they're mates with someone I know.

See even girls have this issue. i do think though girls are a lot less vocal on here about it though.

I don't think either gender has it easier or harder, I have known loads of girls who've been really miserable about being single or their inability to find a boyfriend. Men are just more vocal about it because if you're a girl it's a much easier topic to talk about with your friends. For me, even talking to girls i'm friends with about this topic just feels wrong.
He has a girlfriend now?

Not too sure about girlfriend. But it seems he got laid - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2530409
it sounds like you're trying way too hard to figure out what you're doing wrong externally without doing the internal work that you should be doing..

ironically the moment when you'll be most attractive is when you feel like you'd be happy with your life without any girls. when you're busy doing your own thing, being happy with your life, that non-desperate energy will make you very attractive. instead of thinking of girls as the thing that you need more of in order to make you happy, you need to think about what's missing in your life that you're feeling like you need girls to fill that void.. i strongly get the sense that girls are a huge achievement in your life at the moment, instead try to think of them as a "cherry on top".

focus on your career plans, your skills and hobbies, your friends, etc.
Reply 14
Never give up. Unless you're in the fortunate few attractive set - which it would seem you are not - dating is a soul destroying competitive activity that demands effort and tenacity to succeed. At some point something will come good for you. Drop the victim mentality, play in your own league, find other flirting opportunities (clubbing is the worst bet), see if you can get some advice from a female friend and keep going. Good luck.
Reply 15
Original post by Tridentus
it sounds like you're trying way too hard to figure out what you're doing wrong externally without doing the internal work that you should be doing..

ironically the moment when you'll be most attractive is when you feel like you'd be happy with your life without any girls. when you're busy doing your own thing, being happy with your life, that non-desperate energy will make you very attractive. instead of thinking of girls as the thing that you need more of in order to make you happy, you need to think about what's missing in your life that you're feeling like you need girls to fill that void.. i strongly get the sense that girls are a huge achievement in your life at the moment, instead try to think of them as a "cherry on top".

It's hard to do that when you grew up in an isolated environment, yet you watch people much younger than you are with someone. I
Reply 16
Original post by Tridentus

But thank you for the advice! I understand what you are saying.
Reply 17
My partner was 26 (he's 2 years older than me) when we met, he'd never had an actual girlfriend, had only kissed a handful of girls and hadn't had much of a sex life either. We've been together 2 years, live together and are very happy. Don't give up! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending