The Student Room Group

Is it realistic to apply to Oxbridge to do Law?

Hello.

I know there have been countless threads about this, to which I apologise, however, I'd just like to see what the chances are for me specifically.

Basically, I went to quite a bad secondary school (regarding GCSE results). Based on their Wikipedia, in 2010, only 37% achieved 5+A*-C (including English and Maths) - not sure how much it's improved since I left in June this year.

I got 7 GCSEs (the maximum they offered unless you did a GCSE in your own language). I got A's and English Language and History, B's English Literature, Maths, Double Science and Psychology. I also have BTECs: Distinction* in Business Studies, Distinction in Music, Pass in Dance and a Pass in some ICT thing by OCR?

I read on both websites that they take into account the school you attended. It may be worth mentioning that I got some of the best results in the whole year, and some of the most consistent too. So, based on that, what do you think my chances are? I know all answers are subjective and no-one knows what will happen, I'd just like reassurance.

I moved to another Sixth Form, and currently study: English Literature, History, Psychology, Sociology and Government and Politics at AS. G+P is spread over two years, and the way things are going at the moment, I plan to drop Sociology.

I know a lot of emphasis is placed at Oxford for GCSE results, and Cambridge, UMS from AS. I'm obviously quite a way away from even starting the exams, but if I get A's in the three I plan to continue (English, History and Psychology) at AS, what are my chances of getting an offer?
Say I got AAAbc overall (I know A*AA is needed for Cambridge)?

I also plan on doing the EPQ, relative to Law.

I just don't want to waste a University offer if that makes sense? I'd just love to go to Oxbridge (or at least a very reputable Uni) to prove that it doesn't matter where you come from.

I think that's all I can say really. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
well firstly 5 AS levels is a little bit excessive. Your GCSE;s don't demonstrate that you have the academic ability to maintain all of those without something giving, namely your grades!
As you stated it is wise that you are dropping one, and I would look hard to see if doing 4 is too much. At the end of the day you need 3 AAA to meet the requirements for Oxford Law.

The good thing about subjects like Law is that you have to sit a test as part of the application process. This gives students like yourself who have had a tough time during GCSE's to really shine. If you are serious about Law I would be looking heavily into the LNAT and making sure you have a good grasp of what is expected when you sit it. There are plenty of mock papers over the internet to get you started.

Remember Oxford is about potential, yes your grades all come into the equation during applications but if you can excel at your AS/A levels and do really well on the LNAT you will show them that you have that potential.
Reply 2
Original post by uniqsummer

x

Thanks for your reply.

I definitely can maintain 5 AS. I work part time at RBS 16 hours a week, and I'm finding the subjects ok at the moment. I'm working either on target or above in all of them (apart from G+P but nobody's working on target).

I would always have done a minimum of 4 AS. So the extra lesson a week for G+P isn't having a massive impact. As I've said, it's spread over two years.

I think I'll just have to see what happens on results day. I know I can do it if I try. Every piece of free time I have is spent either doing homework or revising!!

Thanks again!
Reply 3
Law is insanely competitive... have you considered doing another degree which you love, and then converting to Law for your masters?

I'm contemplating of doing the same, because it is next to impossible to find a place for Law.. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by yachi86

x

No, that's not an option and never will be. Haha. I feel confident in myself that I can get an absolute minimum of ABB at A2, although I'm obviously hoping for AAA. There's no reason why anyone can't, providing they work for it... which I'm prepared to do...
Reply 5
Original post by LiamJDavis
Hello.

I know there have been countless threads about this, to which I apologise, however, I'd just like to see what the chances are for me specifically.

Basically, I went to quite a bad secondary school (regarding GCSE results). Based on their Wikipedia, in 2010, only 37% achieved 5+A*-C (including English and Maths) - not sure how much it's improved since I left in June this year.

I got 7 GCSEs (the maximum they offered unless you did a GCSE in your own language). I got A's and English Language and History, B's English Literature, Maths, Double Science and Psychology. I also have BTECs: Distinction* in Business Studies, Distinction in Music, Pass in Dance and a Pass in some ICT thing by OCR?

I read on both websites that they take into account the school you attended. It may be worth mentioning that I got some of the best results in the whole year, and some of the most consistent too. So, based on that, what do you think my chances are? I know all answers are subjective and no-one knows what will happen, I'd just like reassurance.

I moved to another Sixth Form, and currently study: English Literature, History, Psychology, Sociology and Government and Politics at AS. G+P is spread over two years, and the way things are going at the moment, I plan to drop Sociology.

I know a lot of emphasis is placed at Oxford for GCSE results, and Cambridge, UMS from AS. I'm obviously quite a way away from even starting the exams, but if I get A's in the three I plan to continue (English, History and Psychology) at AS, what are my chances of getting an offer?
Say I got AAAbc overall (I know A*AA is needed for Cambridge)?

I also plan on doing the EPQ, relative to Law.

I just don't want to waste a University offer if that makes sense? I'd just love to go to Oxbridge (or at least a very reputable Uni) to prove that it doesn't matter where you come from.

I think that's all I can say really. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I would say to drop one if not two AS levels. If you got AAAbc like you said, the B and C at AS level won't add to your application and you would be much better off spending more time on 3 core subjects. Since you got Bs at GCSE English Lit and Psychology, it's going to be very hard for you to get As at A level in those subjects since there is a massive increase in difficulty. You should spend more time on your 3 AS and A levels and spend that time getting to an A standard (time consuming since you're at a GCSE B level) and maybe getting one A*. But even if you got just 3 A's you should be able to get to interview.
Reply 6
YES apply! You will have to do an admissions test anyway and it is the admissions test that determines who gets an interview and who does not! Do not think that your background is such a huge disadvantage because tutors will alr consider that when interviewing. All the best. And yes drop your B subjects! You sound like someone who would benefit from more focus. Keep reading books on law!
Reply 7
Original post by Chewyy
x

I'm not dropping any AS'. I'm struggling a lot with G+P, but it's an added AS spread over two years with only one lesson a week. My teacher for it is horrendous and also teaches the 60% unit in Sociology, so I'm requesting to move. I have a lot of notes for Sociology from people in the year above who have got A's which should help a lot.

Might be worth mentioning that I was quite arrogant at GCSE. I didn't really revise, especially for English, and I was only 5 UMS away from an A in Literature and an A* in Language. My class was also seriously ****ed over for the 60% Psychology exam. We had one teacher who knew nothing about the subject, and we finally had a 'proper' teacher to teach us the final topic nearing exam time. I'm currently working above target in Psychology AS too (a B).

Appreciate your comment nonetheless. I have fantastic teachers for my three main subjects (English Literature, History and Psychology), so I feel ok really.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by tooskyblue
x

Thank you! Although I'm not dropping the 'B' subjects! I'll be fine. I'm going to really work for it.
Reply 9
I've heard Cambridge are more lenient in regards to GCSE and look more closely at your UMS. If you have high UMS marks then do apply for Cambridge..if not there are loads of good units for law
Reply 10
Original post by Kutta
x

That's what I've heard. Thank you!
I am a little bit concerned that the OP is wanting to go to a top university based on slightly negative reasoning.
First and foremost you should be applying to Universities that you feel you connect with, Do go to open days, read up on the Universities as much as possible and make informed decisions on that alone.

Never let anyone tell you that you must apply to an Oxbridge university to 'make it', because for some people neither of the universities suit them ,and they have found that they are happier elsewhere. I feel some people get very tunnel focussed when it comes to applications and somehow forget that there are a wealth of world leading universities in the UK, that run excellent courses.

But if you do decide to apply , good for you, but please make sure it is an informed choice and not one based on a whim.
ABB will not get you into a 'top' Law school, if you get ABB and want to go to a top uni you're going to have to forget Law.

Rgearding Oxbridge. Cambridge you need to get 90% plus in your top 3 AS , probably not including Sociology, so get that and then see what happens with CLS, Oxford will depend how much they weight your school for your GCSEs. Obviously, your GCSEs are below average for either but you could still stand a chance if you nail everything else, though you'vee not really got space for any more slip ups.

Regarding other law schools you may consider, LSE is going to be seriously difficult with those grades at GCSE, UCL also unless you destroy the LNAT.
Reply 13
Original post by uniqsummer
x

Oh yeah, of course. I completely agree. If I went to an open day and felt as though I didn't 'connect' with the University, I would be dubious of applying. Don't worry, I'm not that shallow! I have got my eyes on other Universities though, Oxbridge is just an aspiration based on my AS results really. Universities like UEA have caught my eye a lot, and I'm really liking the sound of them at the moment.

Thanks for your advice!

Original post by Le Nombre
x

I'm hoping for an absolute MINIMUM of AAB to be honest. And I'm dropping Sociology at AS for sure - not particularly enjoying it.

No chance at LSE, haha. I've heard you need like 6 A*'s minimum - a friend of mine goes there. Aha! I'd like to think I'd do quite well at the LNAT - I've heard my Sixth Form are quite good at preparing students for that, and UKCAT, etc.

Thank you!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Oxford and Cambridge are incredibly competitive and although they will be more accepting of your GCSEs because of your poor secondary school (make sure that is written about in your reference) it may not hold up your predictions of AAA based on the GCSE grades in the subjects.

And since they are so competitive, AAB is not enough for Oxford and Cambridge. AAA is enough if you have high UMS in these subjects, so it's not enough 'just' to get AAA.

Since your reference will hopefully say that your ability is above your GCSE grades, they will use your AS grades as an indicator of your abilities. So if you're not A standard for Sociology, drop it. If you get a B or C in that, the unis will see that you're still not A-standard. And since they are so competitive, AAB is not enough for Oxford and Cambridge. AAA is enough if you have high UMS in these subjects, so it's not enough 'just' to get AAA but high in some subjects.

I'm not saying you should drop G&P and Sociology because you can't handle it, but if you want to maximise your chances at Cambridge and Oxford you should drop them. If dropping each gives you 5 UMS in the other subjects, then it's worth it. It is much more important for you to get 3 high AAA Levels instead of doing more.

Plus work experience and background reading etc.
Reply 15
Original post by Chewyy
x

Yeah, I completely understand. I will definitely include in my reference about my poor secondary school - that was a given anyway.

With regards to Sociology, I've raised it with the head of department and in the new year I should be moving classes (hopefully). I've also asked the other teacher who teaches the topic I'm struggling with (and is also one of my History teachers!) whether she could give me a 'crash course' providing I do move, and she said that was fine and will sort something out. So I feel positive about that. I've been getting A's and B's in the 40% Unit, and a mixture of B's, C's and D's in the 60%. Mostly C's (because of the teacher). If I move, all should be fine.

Also, G+P is only one lesson a week and it's with the same teacher who I can't learn with. But I'm determined and I'm working with others in my class so it's not just me. I'm going to be revising a lot over Christmas.

I've had 2 weeks work experience at a local Law firm too. They can't give a reference, but I've still been there. And my step-dad knows one of the owners personally and all that.

Thanks. (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Oxford will be very tricky for you, especially in a subject so competitive as Law is but you may have a shot at Cambridge if you get 93%+ As UMS scores!
Reply 17
Original post by iano101
x

That's the plan. Aha! Thank you!
Reply 18
You need more than '3As'. You need high As (95%+) for Cambridge or - failing that - do very well in the admissions tests and interview.
Reply 19
Original post by Mike_123
You need more than '3As'. You need high As (95%+) for Cambridge or - failing that - do very well in the admissions tests and interview.

He won't get the chance for admissions tests or interviews to reedeem himself with a ums below around the 90% mark because he won't get called in. For a 'Realistic' shot, the grades required would be 93%+ and then a good interview + admissions tests

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending