The Student Room Group

Is honesty always the best policy in medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by oz40
I personally think doctors should be allowed to give placebos to patients in some circumstances.

Of course this is under the discretion of the clinician but if the patient is presenting symptoms which require no treatment at all yet the patient is insistent on receiving something, I believe it is far better to give a placebo than potentially contribute to antibiotic resistance or unwarranted side effects typically associated with psychological drugs.

Studies have shown the benefit of placebo drugs; don't discount the power of the mind. This is especially true when you consider disorders of the mind.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but IMO, it is not unethical to give a sugar pill to a patient. Besides, better than than to have an angry patient complain about your practice for no good reason at all, especially given the current system is being setup on 'patient reviews'. :rolleyes:

LOOL don't you think it could mess with their head though e.g. if they find out it is just a sugar pill when they go next time they might wonder if they are just being prescribed another sugar pill lool
Reply 21
Original post by UKChicken
LOOL don't you think it could mess with their head though e.g. if they find out it is just a sugar pill when they go next time they might wonder if they are just being prescribed another sugar pill lool

You don't tell them it's a placebo, but some would say it's unethical (deception).
Reply 22
Original post by oz40
You don't tell them it's a placebo, but some would say it's unethical (deception).

oh right :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by oz40
I personally think doctors should be allowed to give placebos to patients in some circumstances.

Of course this is under the discretion of the clinician but if the patient is presenting symptoms which require no treatment at all yet the patient is insistent on receiving something, I believe it is far better to give a placebo than potentially contribute to antibiotic resistance or unwarranted side effects typically associated with psychological drugs.

Studies have shown the benefit of placebo drugs; don't discount the power of the mind. This is especially true when you consider disorders of the mind.

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but IMO, it is not unethical to give a sugar pill to a patient. Besides, better than than to have an angry patient complain about your practice for no good reason at all, especially given the current system is being setup on 'patient reviews'. :rolleyes:

It might be easier but its not necessarily right. The alternative is standing your ground, not giving in and giving them antibiotics! I have patients who come in with an agenda (wanting certain treatments). If I don't think its clinically indicated they're not having it. So it would take less time if I pretended to give them something, but like someone else said it would be unethical.

I will not back down and give people something just because they want it. Placebos also come with risk and the reason I say yes or no is based on their best interests. Luckily I work in a team where my seniors back me up so if I have to, I explain it to them and they come and say the same thing to a patient. If they want a supermarket where they can have what they want without question there are plenty to choose from.
Reply 24
Original post by Sarky
It might be easier but its not necessarily right. The alternative is standing your ground, not giving in and giving them antibiotics! I have patients who come in with an agenda (wanting certain treatments). If I don't think its clinically indicated they're not having it. So it would take less time if I pretended to give them something, but like someone else said it would be unethical.

I will not back down and give people something just because they want it. Placebos also come with risk and the reason I say yes or no is based on their best interests. Luckily I work in a team where my seniors back me up so if I have to, I explain it to them and they come and say the same thing to a patient. If they want a supermarket where they can have what they want without question there are plenty to choose from.

Bear in mind that I did not say you should give a placebo at all times; only in certain circumstances.
Reply 25
Original post by oz40
Bear in mind that I did not say you should give a placebo at all times; only in certain circumstances.

There is never a time when i'll give patients a placebo unless it is as part of a randomised controlled trial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending