The Student Room Group

How do I get myself through this humiliation?

I'm a 19 year old male. This year, I had my first ever relationship with a guy. He was 28. There were issues with his age and English was his second language. I actually broke up with him a couple of times during that year, but would regret it afterwards straight away.

Then two months ago things started to change. I have a very bad temper (My parents sent me to counselors when I was younger!) and I guess as you spend more time with people, those things start to show. He broke up with me and it was pretty explosive.I started hating myself; I thought it was to do with how I looked and it just made me angry all the time.

I was not prefect after we broke up. I slept around, drank a lot and acted out. I told him about some of the stuff I'd done and he was accepting of it. He did bring it up sneeringly over text once.

But a few nights ago, I found out that he'd been on a weekend break with another guy. They'd gone for romantic meals together and seemed very close (although he is adamant that he had not met this other guy until after we broke up). I have not had that level of emotional intimacy with any guy since him.

When I found out, I got very angry at him and said some very hurtful things. I said some things that I think he finds hard to forgive.

I understand that I haven't been perfect. I understand that he has a right to move on. But it doesn't make it any easier for me. He is the first man I've ever loved and trusted. I'm sickened. How do I get over this?
Reply 1
Original post by andragonous
x

You're only 19, you'll get over it, all you need is time. I'd wager most people have felt this way at one time or another, the one thing you have to remember is your relationship is over for a reason.

Although, from personal experience, you have absolutely no right to judge him, you're too blame too and did sleep around afterwards and just 'cause he got over you doesn't mean he is a bad guy. Tbh, and this doesn't get said enough - if you aint over him, you're the one with the problem, not him. Remember that and you'll fine OP :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Gjaykay
You're only 19, you'll get over it, all you need is time. I'd wager most people have felt this way at one time or another, the one thing you have to remember is your relationship is over for a reason.

Although, from personal experience, you have absolutely no right to judge him, you're too blame too and did sleep around afterwards and just 'cause he got over you doesn't mean he is a bad guy. Tbh, and this doesn't get said enough - if you aint over him, you're the one with the problem, not him. Remember that and you'll fine OP :smile:

I made it very clear that I wasn't labeling myself as morally superior or him as morally wrong. At what point did I judge him? But that doesn't make it any easier. I think the idea of a 'rebound' is quite common in people who have just got out of a relationship. Romantic holidays with a new guy... not so common. Of course it is within his rights to do it, but that doesn't make it any easier for me.
Reply 3
I made it very clear that I wasn't labeling myself as morally superior or him as morally wrong. At what point did I judge him? But that doesn't make it any easier. I think the idea of a 'rebound' is quite common in people who have just got out of a relationship. Romantic holidays with a new guy... not so common. Of course it is within his rights to do it, but that doesn't make it any easier for me.

And I quote: "I'm sickened" :rolleyes:
Rebounds come a variety of ways, a rebound is still a rebound.

Like I said, it takes time, and you seem to do be doing the 'normal' things: getting drunk and sleeping around, which helps me in getting over someone. Only other thing I can suggest is cutting him out of your life, it'll help you get over him easier.
Reply 4
Original post by Gjaykay
And I quote: "I'm sickened" :rolleyes:
Rebounds come a variety of ways, a rebound is still a rebound.

Like I said, it takes time, and you seem to do be doing the 'normal' things: getting drunk and sleeping around, which helps me in getting over someone. Only other thing I can suggest is cutting him out of your life, it'll help you get over him easier.

Yeah the feeling of sickness is pretty common when you see someone you love with someone else. It does not imply that I think he was morally wrong in what he did. I don't cut people out who've done a lot for me. He is leaving the country soon but I hope to stay in contact with him.
Reply 5
Yeah the feeling of sickness is pretty common when you see someone you love with someone else. It does not imply that I think he was morally wrong in what he did. I don't cut people out who've done a lot for me. He is leaving the country soon but I hope to stay in contact with him.

Not usually when you've been sleeping around, but fair enough, everyone's different.

I don't know why he would stay in contact with you. You sound like a dick tbh. You broke up with him numerous times due to "issues with his age and English was his second language" whatever the hell that means and then begged him back when you regretted it. Then he started to realise he didn't want to be with you because you have anger issues and dumps you. After you guys break up, you tell him about you sleeping around and drinking. He finds someone who he (presumably) likes enough to go on romantic dates with and all of a sudden his angry ex starts calling him hurtful things and explodes at him.

If I was him I'd stay the hell away from you.
Reply 6
Original post by Gjaykay
Not usually when you've been sleeping around, but fair enough, everyone's different.

I don't know why he would stay in contact with you. You sound like a dick tbh. You broke up with him numerous times due to "issues with his age and English was his second language" whatever the hell that means and then begged him back when you regretted it. Then he started to realise he didn't want to be with you because you have anger issues and dumps you. After you guys break up, you tell him about you sleeping around and drinking. He finds someone who he (presumably) likes enough to go on romantic dates with and all of a sudden his angry ex starts calling him hurtful things and explodes at him.

If I was him I'd stay the hell away from you.
Well so much for your views on not judging people. 1. I did not say that this was why I broke up with him. Although the age and language barrier did present issues in that neither of us were always able to express and understand one another's feelings. 2. No I didn't beg for him back. Since you've decided just to judge me rather than ask why I decided to break up, I should tell you that I split up with him both times because I thought I was ugly. I have low self esteem and he saw through this and asked me to get back with him.3. I told him because I felt I should, and you've previously conceded that this behaviour is fairly normal. 4. And yes, I've said hurtful things to someone I care about. I'm sure you have never been guilty of this before.
How do I get over this?

Not the answer you want, but.. Time.

You're 19 and emotionally not fully developed.
Reply 8
It sounds to me that you have acted a bit immaturely. This can happen to all of us.
I would apologise to him for your behaviour and wish him all the best in his life and then cut him out of your life.
If you don't you're only going to humiliate yourself more by chasing him.
If he's gonna go back to his homecountry that is even easier to cut him out. Honestly you don't need to keep in contact with everyone... You're gonna have a difficult time to get over it, but that is common with break ups.
Easiest way to get over someone is by not having contact :smile: Work on those issues you have so that in the future it won't happen again.
Reply 9
Original post by Bananabox
It sounds to me that you have acted a bit immaturely. This can happen to all of us.
I would apologise to him for your behaviour and wish him all the best in his life and then cut him out of your life.
If you don't you're only going to humiliate yourself more by chasing him.
If he's gonna go back to his homecountry that is even easier to cut him out. Honestly you don't need to keep in contact with everyone... You're gonna have a difficult time to get over it, but that is common with break ups.
Easiest way to get over someone is by not having contact :smile: Work on those issues you have so that in the future it won't happen again.

But how do I come to terms with him just preferring someone else to me? Surely that will affect me later on anyway, even if I meet someone else I like. It'll always be in my mind that I'm not good enough.
Reply 10
But how do I come to terms with him just preferring someone else to me? Surely that will affect me later on anyway, even if I meet someone else I like. It'll always be in my mind that I'm not good enough.

You weren't right for him, you don't need to be right for him because there are other men out there. He thinks some other guy might be right for him, that's not a judgement on the other guy being somehow better than you.

You have flaws, like everyone, and your flaws are something you can work on to become a better person- a better person being the type of person you'd be happy to be, not some objective standard.

One of the main ways it will effect you forever is if you self-esteem hinges on his approval/wanting you- which is implicit in what you said. The only way to have a stable, positive self-esteem is if it comes from within yourself. That's not an easy over night thing but it's the only real, long term solution.
Reply 11

You shouldn't see it that way. You have been in a relationship together it did not work out. Of course that is quite sad but there's a limit on how much a person is willing to work on it. That is very normal. Sometimes someone just needs a new start.

You shouldn't think that you're not good enough! Sometimes 2 people together just doesn't work. He is also older and may have more experience than you in relationships. He knew he was done with it. That is his right. I'm not saying you should be happy about it. But letting him go is the best thing you can do.

What you can do before you start a new relationship:
accept that you and your ex were not right for each other
work on your issues
work on your confidence

It is always sad to let someone go when you think there was still hope.

There is a very high chance that you will come across people in your life that can not answer your feelings. Rejectment is not saying "not good enough" it just means that person does not think you are right for each other.
There is also a high chance that you will reject someone. Should that person then be depressed by your rejectment? Of course not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending