The Student Room Group

Quick Question on No Claims bonus

I already have a car insurance policy with LV as named driver, so ill be due a 1 year no claims bonus if im claim free till summer.

But im also going to buy another car and going to insure it myself as a named driver, will I get another no claims discount aswell for next year? so I have 2 years no claims by the end of 2014..

cheers guys
Reply 1
You can only have NCB on one car at a time. So you'll get your 1 years' NCB for your first car and start from scratch with the second one.

On the plus side the insurance will be cheaper on the second car because you'll have told them that it's not your only vehicle.
You're unlikely to get any NCB as a named driver... Usually just as a main driver. It depends on insurance company though, so best ring them and check.
Reply 3
You need to be the main driver to get your no claims.
Original post by shaymarriott
You're unlikely to get any NCB as a named driver... Usually just as a main driver. It depends on insurance company though, so best ring them and check.

I agree.
Plus if the company does do named driver no claims, they only usually do it if you stay witht he same company.
Reply 5
Insurance companies will often take into account claim free time driving as a named driver on another policy, so it's worth asking them if they will when you apply.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
Plus if the company does do named driver no claims, they only usually do it if you stay witht he same company.

^ This.

I got screwed over by Churchill. The made this big deal out of the fact they gave you NCB as a named driver, then when I went to renew with them after two years they said it was only named-driver NCB and wasn't really worth anything. Switched to Admiral and have been pretty happy and had decent prices since :biggrin:
Reply 7
Also worth pointing out:

Those accelerated no claims bonus' were you get the no claims after 10 months are usually only valid with that insurance company or their sister company's.
Original post by mb1994
I already have a car insurance policy with LV as named driver, so ill be due a 1 year no claims bonus if im claim free till summer.

But im also going to buy another car and going to insure it myself as a named driver, will I get another no claims discount aswell for next year? so I have 2 years no claims by the end of 2014..

cheers guys

Hi ‘mb 1994’, if you opt to start a new policy on a second car and earn any NCB you'll have two lots of NCB - but you’re not able to combine them onto one policy.

As ‘shaymarriott’ ‘camoxide’ ‘Emma:-)’ rightly said, many insurers will only recognise NCB as a named driver. But as ‘fluttershy’ said, there are some who do recognise NCB earned as a named driver, if your policy is with the same insurer who you built up your named driver NCB with.

If you'd like more detailed info, we have a guide on our site - http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/guides/no-claims-bonus-explained

Thanks,
Adam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending