The Student Room Group

Women in Burkhas distract staff while 6 year old robs jewellery store in Saudi Arabia

I know this is in Saudi Arabia, but surely this just proves they are a massive security risk? How will they get a description of the thieves?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2530033/Six-year-old-girl-robs-Saudi-Arabian-jewellery-store-women-burkhas-distract-staff.html

And on a side note, isn't the punishment for theft having your hand cut off? I hope the child won't have to pay this price....

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
first of all, the boy won't get his hands cut off because he's obviously a child, and the identity of the woman can be known through the child.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
It's the Niqab that's the problem, no-one should be covering their face in public unless they have a damn good reason to, and that definition of damn good does not include religion.
Reply 3
Original post by *Dreaming*
And on a side note, isn't the punishment for theft having your hand cut off? I hope the child won't have to pay this price....

Those under the age of puberty will not have their hands cut off. There are a few other conditions that will need to be met for an amputation to take place as well.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Even though burkhas are typically worn my muslims, nothing is stopping someone using one to conceal themselves and commit a crime. You don't have to be a muslim to use them for this purpose. Hense, they can be used by criminals in order to conceal their identity.

It won't be long before thieves catch on to this idea.
(edited 10 years ago)
Criminals will dress up in just about anything to disguise themselves... I could of roamed the streets on Christmas eve dressed up as Santa Claus, breaking into peoples houses, how would anyone get a description of me? I could rob people on Halloween dressed up in a scream costume, how would anyone give a description of me to the police? People have robbed jewelry stores dressed up as Orthodox Jews, with the victims not being able to give a description. The list goes on...
Reply 6
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
Criminals will dress up in just about anything to disguise themselves... I could of roamed the streets on Christmas eve dressed up as Santa Claus, breaking into peoples houses, how would anyone get a description of me? I could rob people on Halloween dressed up in a scream costume, how would anyone give a description? People have robbed jewelry stores dressed up as Orthodox Jews, with the victims not being able to give a description. The list goes on...

Because if you went into a bank in a scream costume/santa outfit you would have to remove the face mask before speaking to the cashier. If you were wearing a burkha they wouldn't dare ask you as it's 'racist'.
Because if you went into a bank in a scream costume/santa outfit you would have to remove the face mask before speaking to the cashier. If you were wearing a burkha they wouldn't dare ask you as it's 'racist'.

I could do the same thing dressed up as an orthodox jew
Reply 8
I could do the same thing dressed up as an orthodox jew

Does an orthodox jew cover their face?
Does an orthodox jew cover their face?

If I was dressed as an Orthodox Jew, with my big hat and long beard, while wearing contacts and makeup to disguise my skin tone, there is no way you would be able to get a valid description.
Reply 10
Er well thanks for calling me stupid.

Even though burkhas are typically worn my muslims, nothing is stopping someone using one to conceal themselves and commit a crime. You don't have to be a muslim to use them for this purpose. Hense, they can be used by criminals in order to conceal their identity.

It won't be long before thieves catch on to this idea.

i.e. ban the Burkha Muslims are wearing nowadays

Seriously are you like 13 years old? You are like saying spy on everyone's internet usage because terrorists are using it

Only the internet users privacy will be harmed from this and thieves/terrorists wouldn't care much about this and would use tons of other ways to harm people
Reply 11
If I was dressed as an Orthodox Jew, with my big hat and long beard, while wearing contacts and makeup to disguise my skin tone, there is no way you would be able to get a valid description.

Ok well not really the same is it.
Reply 12
"Women in Burkhas"....It is Saudi Arabia, so most women there do wear Burkhas.....
Reply 13
Original post by Masoudy
i.e. ban the Burkha Muslims are wearing nowadays

Seriously are you like 13 years old? You are like saying spy on everyone's internet usage because terrorists are using it

Only the internet users privacy will be harmed from this and thieves/terrorists wouldn't care much about this and would use tons of other ways to harm people

What on earth are you talking about....people are actually using the burkha to commit crimes. And why are you resorting to personal insults?
Ok well not really the same is it.

How is it not? There would be no CCTV evidence of my face because of my hat, and my face would be concealed to witnesses because of my false beard, makeup and contacts or sunglasses.
Reply 15
How is it not? There would be no CCTV evidence of my face because of my hat, and my face would be concealed to witnesses because of my false beard, makeup and contacts or sunglasses.

Your face is visible, even if it doesn't look like you, it still is.
Your face is visible, even if it doesn't look like you, it still is.

We've already established that it wouldn't be visible on CCTV because of my big hat. The only thing that would be visible with my sunglasses on, is my long false beard and distorted skin tone. The prosecution would have just as much of a hard time proving beyond reasonable doubt, that it was me robbing the bank, as someone doing the same thing in a niqab.
Reply 17
We've already established that it wouldn't be visible on CCTV because of my big hat. The only thing that would be visible with my sunglasses on, is my long false beard and distorted skin tone. The prosecution would have just as much of a hard time proving beyond reasonable doubt, that it was me robbing the bank, as someone doing the same thing in a niqab.

Ok well we will agree to disagree. I'm just saying, if I wanted to commit a crime or go somewhere without being recognised I'd be far more confident doing it wearing a niqab with only my eyes showing, than dressed as an orthodox jew.
Reply 18
This woman has become obsessed. May it lead you to some good in the end.
Ok well we will agree to disagree. I'm just saying, if I wanted to commit a crime or go somewhere without being recognised I'd be far more confident doing it wearing a niqab with only my eyes showing, than dressed as an orthodox jew.

That would be your choice of disguise. Other criminals prefer the Orthodox Jew outfit because it isn't associated with anything negative, maybe that's what makes it more comfortable for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending