The Student Room Group

Any chance of getting into medical related courses with these GCSEs?

Hi I know i still have my A-Levels to complete because I am only in year 12, but I just have a really important question about my GCSE Grades. I failed s badly and I am soo upset because I really want to do a degree around medicine, (prefer to medicine) but I don't think these gcse grades are enough even if I get amazing A-level grades, do you guys think so too? Please, I need some advice, i feel like a dumb and useless person right now:frown:

For my GCSEs I got the following:
Maths- A
ICT-A
German-A (5 marks off A*)
Science (single)-B
Science (double)-B
English Lit-B
English Language-C (9 marks off a B)
Religious Studies (short course)- B
Geography-C (my exams pulled me down but in my Coursework I got an A)
Business Studies- B
Preparation for working life- 2

Is there any chances of me doing anything like biomedical science or biomedical engineering or medical science, optometry or dentistry or medicine etc...

I feel like giving up on my life!
Reply 1
Original post by Royal Blue
x

Hi

I've moved your post into a new thread into the 'Medical, Health and Life Sciences courses' forum where you should be able to get some more helpful comments.

As a start, have you looked at the GCSE entry requirements for some of the courses you have mentioned? You may find that with good A level grades your GCSEs would be ok for some of those courses.
Reply 2
I don't know anything about the medicine/dentistry application process, but other subjects don't tend to put so much weight on your GCSE grades from what I've seen. I think it's more heavily weighted on your A Level results and for some healthcare courses (nursing, midwifery, physio, paramedic etc.) also on your work experience.

Hopefully someone can shed some light in regards to applying for medicine, but I think the best bet would be to search the courses you are thinking of applying for and looking at their entry requirements. Good luck!
Reply 3
Thank you sooo much and hopefully i do get more useful replies and yeah i have checked out the entry requirement and most ask for a B in english language.
Original post by Royal Blue
Thank you sooo much and hopefully i do get more useful replies and yeah i have checked out the entry requirement and most ask for a B in english language.

Depends, which medical schools are you aiming to go to?

This'll help:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/medical_school_gcse_requirements
AAABBBBBCC - I'll admit, compared to the med cohort they're not great, but if you have a good application (AS grades, PS, references) there's no reason they should stop you getting into med school. AS grades count so much more than GCSEs.

Your main two concerns should be:

-Can you resit Eng Lang?

-Your science GCSE grades (though good grades in your A level sciences should overrule them)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending