The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a realistic indication of what sort of grade universities such as Groningen, Amsterdam, Radboud, and Tilburg expect? I'm looking to do an MRes in Philosophy, though I'm a little confused by the entry requirements: some require a minimum of a Dutch 7.5, others of an 8. The conversion tables I've seen correlate a 7.5 with a UK 2:2 and an 8 with a 2:1 or sometimes a 1st, so it's not very clear-cut.

What I'd like to know is whether it's reasonable to assume an application to, say, Groningen, which asks for an 8, would be considered if I have a 2:1 at BA, or if they'd really only consider applicants with a 1st?
Original post by Tilburg University
We are on this forum to answer any questions you may have about the programs we offer at Tilburg University, the application procedure and admission requirements. But of course we will also gladly tell you more about what studying in Holland is all about. We know how hard, and at the same time important, choosing the right study program and university is. So we would be glad to help you on your way.

Could you briefly outline the admissions timeline for undergraduates? I.e. Do we begin in September? When do we hear back?

Do meeting offers and getting accepted work the same way as in the UK?

Thank you.
Original post by NikolaT
Could you briefly outline the admissions timeline for undergraduates? I.e. Do we begin in September? When do we hear back?

Do meeting offers and getting accepted work the same way as in the UK?

Thank you.

Hi!

Firstly, our apologies for the delay in our reply!

Actually, admissions in the Netherlands is quite different from the UK. For starters, there is no UCAS, and you’ll be relieved that there’s also no such thing as ‘clearance’!

Are you ready? Here we go:
Most universities employ a rolling admissions process. This means you can apply from Oct 1 onwards, and your file will be processed right away.
Roughly, there are 3 types:

Programs where you have automatic access with the right educational background. There are fewer and fewer programs like this, but they still occur. Basically, if you have the right diploma (A-levels would suffice in most cases) and subjects (often Maths is a required subject, to give an example), you are automatically in.

Programs which are selective. There are different ways in which you can be selected:

By DUO (ministry of education), who conduct something like a lottery which determines whether you have been accepted or not. Better grades = better chances. A good example of a program that has worked like this for years is Medicine.

By the university itself, which then tells DUO (ministry of education) that you have been selected. A good example of such programs is Psychology or Business.

Programs which are selective to an extent: they give an advice. Again, you have to be found eligible for entry into research university (again, A-levels usually suffice) and have the right subjects (e.g. math).
After this, you go through a procedure during which the program executives determine whether you are a good match. Usually this is not about grades but more about a match between interests and motivation, and perhaps performance in a certain subject (e.g.: to thrive in Chemistry you have to have a good Chemistry grade at AS or A-level). If you are found eligible but receive a negative advice, this means you can still join the program but the university thinks your chances of succeeding are smaller.

In the case of Tilburg University: we have programs of Type 2 and Type 3. We assess your application right away and you’ll have an answer within a few weeks, even in the case of Type 2.
Some colleges may collect applications until their deadline and conduct selection procedures after that (e.g. UCU’s application deadline is in February and the selection is conducted after that. You’ll still have an offer sooner than with UK universities though).

Because the ministry of education keeps track of all students in the Netherlands, you have to register in their database called ‘Studielink’: www.studielink.nl. This is the case for all programs, but for Type 1 programs it’s the only thing you have to do, and for Type 2 and Type 3 programs it’s one of the steps in the process. It’s still important, because without registration in Studielink you cannot be enrolled for the program (no matter how much you want it…).

One other big difference is that we make you an offer based on your most recent grades or your predicted grades. So, if your grades in August come out slightly below what you expected (AAB instead of AAA…) we don’t revoke the offer. Grades are less important in our system. I have found that it relieves a lot of the stress of candidates to know this!

I hope this answers your question and hasn’t created more confusion. If you have any further questions about this, the fastest way to reach me is to send a message to [email protected] (I don’t check this forum every day).

Best regards,

Anne Kuijs
Bachelor recruitment & admissions
Original post by Samabrams
I am a prospective student from India who is interested in doing the Master of Information Science with Specialization in Business Communication and Digital Media next year. I hold an MA In English Language and Literature (70%, 2 years full time, Bharathidasan University, India) and a BSc in Chemistry (49%, 3 years full time, Mahatma Gandhi University, India). I would like to know whether I would be require to complete a pre-master programme before I start the Master of Information Science with Specialization in Business Communication and Digital Media?

In addition, the application process requires that I submit copies of my transcripts and diplomas that are validated as true copies by the issuing university. I completed my postgraduate and graduate degrees in 2000 and 1998 respectively. It would be difficult to go back to the universities to get the diploma and transcript copies attested as original copies. Instead, can submit copies attested as true copies by a government notary of peace as it is usually done at UK universities?

Thanks,
Sam,
Bangalore,
India.

Dear Sam,

Thank you very much for your interest in our Master’s program in Communication and Information Sciences, Business Communication and Digital Media Specialization. In answer to your questions, I have to inform you that a certified copy (from an official government notary) is sufficient as well. Moreover, in order assess your eligibility for admissions, we need to check your most recent/ final transcript of records. The admissions committee will be able to provide a preliminary advice based on your transcript of records.

The program
In the English-taught Master's specialization in Business Communication & Digital Media, you will focus on communication issues in the area of business communications. You will research how people communicate with one another using a variety of means, and how they process information through language, pictures, sound and computers.
I would like to point out that statistics and research methodology are very important components of this program. As well as evaluating whether or not your previous education matches 3 years of Dutch academic education, our Admissions Committee evaluates the modules you have completed previously and whether these match the profile for the program. They especially take note of the concentration of statistics courses completed. Please find more detailed information regarding this program on http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/business-communication-and-digital-media/

Tilburg University has designed a tailor-made pre-master’s program specifically for those students who have academic deficiencies, a different bachelor’s degree or a bachelor’s degree from University of Applied Sciences. Depending on your academic deficiencies or degree, you might be required to complete this course or pre-master’s program. Applicants apply always for the (Research) Master’s program and not for a pre-master program. The Admissions Committee will inform the applicants accordingly about the following procedures for a pre-master, when necessary!

Please have a look at the curriculum description and content:
- http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/business-communication-and-digital-media/programme/curriculum/
- http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/business-communication-and-digital-media/programme/curriculumcontent/

I hope to have informed you sufficiently so far. Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us through email ([email protected]).
Original post by Swaraj
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a realistic indication of what sort of grade universities such as Groningen, Amsterdam, Radboud, and Tilburg expect? I'm looking to do an MRes in Philosophy, though I'm a little confused by the entry requirements: some require a minimum of a Dutch 7.5, others of an 8. The conversion tables I've seen correlate a 7.5 with a UK 2:2 and an 8 with a 2:1 or sometimes a 1st, so it's not very clear-cut.

What I'd like to know is whether it's reasonable to assume an application to, say, Groningen, which asks for an 8, would be considered if I have a 2:1 at BA, or if they'd really only consider applicants with a 1st?

Hi Swaraj,T

Thank you for your question and sorry for the delay in our reply. In the Netherlands we use an absolute grading system in which 10 is the highest possible grade and a 1 is the lowest grade. Half grades are also used in the grading
system. We do not use class rankings or curved grading. You need at least a 6 to pass a course. Most commonly given grades if you have passed a course are between a 6 and 7,5. Everything from a 7,5 or higher is seen as a really high grade in the Netherlands!

As in UK, the Dutch universities have different ways of assessing and marking the course work and therefore there is no clear-cut or one (Dutch) national Grade Conversion Table, where you can find exactly the evaluations of the UK grading system into Dutch system or the other way around. Please bear in mind that some universities have even a conversion table at Faculty / School level. Some examples:

Dundee University Tilburg University
65-69 (Upper second) is a 8.5
60-64 (Upper second) is a 8
55-59 (Lower second) is a 7.5

Lancaster University Tilburg University
B+ / 65-69 (Good) is a 8.5
B / 60-64 (Good) is a 8
B- / 55-59 (Satisfactory) is a 7.5

University of Glasgow Tilburg University
16-17-18 is a 8.5
15 is a 8
13-14 is a 7.5

The Admissions Committee’s within Dutch Universities are aware of these matters and therefore they always assess the application packages individually and use advice of admissions officers in these matter to provide a fair admissions chance to all students with different marking systems. In your case, you may use one of the mentioned examples once you decide to apply for a program.

If you have any further questions about our Research Master in Philosophy, don't hesitate to contact us!

Kind regards,

Omid Feyli
Tilburg University
What is the situation in the Netherlands with funding? Is it possible to obtain a grant or student loan to cover tuition fees and living costs?
Hi do you know of any university's in the Nederlands that teach science degrees in English?
Original post by domjohnson
What is the situation in the Netherlands with funding? Is it possible to obtain a grant or student loan to cover tuition fees and living costs?

In answer to your question above:

1) It is possible to get a student loan to cover your tuition fees if you are an EEA-national. For more information please have a look at: http://www.ib-groep.nl/particulieren/international-student/student-finance/loan.asp

2) If you work 56 hours a month you can also apply for a loan to cover your living expenses. For more information please have a look at:http://www.ib-groep.nl/particulieren/international-student/student-finance/how-does-it-work.asp

For more information about financial matters please visit our website: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/practicalissues/beforearrival/financialpreparations/

Please be aware that the costs of living can differ per city. :smile:
Original post by OHNOGEM
Hi do you know of any university's in the Nederlands that teach science degrees in English?

Yes, there are:

Are you looking for a certain topic?

Please have a look at: TU Eindhoven, TU Delft, TU Twente or Wageningen University

Another useful website is Studyportals.eu, which is basically a search engine for English-taught study programs. Good luck!
Yes, there are:

Are you looking for a certain topic?

Please have a look at: TU Eindhoven, TU Delft, TU Twente or Wageningen University

Another useful website is Studyportals.eu, which is basically a search engine for English-taught study programs. Good luck!

Thanks

Or rather dank u vel :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by OHNOGEM
Thanks

Or rather dank u vel :smile:

You are welcome! or rather Graag gedaan:wink:
greeting

I'm Mohamed Salah from Egypt

graduated from the faculty of commerce with a business administration and accounting Bachelor degree in 2009

And i was looking forward to continue my studies at UM in MSc Human Decision Science.

Is it possible for me to get enrolled in this master's course directly? or should i start with Bachelor's program in the UM that qualify me to take this MSc program?

I would be very thankful for your help.
Original post by mohamed salah
greeting

I'm Mohamed Salah from Egypt

graduated from the faculty of commerce with a business administration and accounting Bachelor degree in 2009

And i was looking forward to continue my studies at UM in MSc Human Decision Science.

Is it possible for me to get enrolled in this master's course directly? or should i start with Bachelor's program in the UM that qualify me to take this MSc program?

I would be very thankful for your help.

Dear Mohamed,

Thank you for your question:smile: It would be best to contact the UM directly with your question above. You can contact Ms Claudia Spierings at [email protected], she works for the School of Economics and Business of Maastricht University and can assist you further.

Kind regards, Tilburg University
Thanks for your advice :smile:
In answer to your question above:

1) It is possible to get a student loan to cover your tuition fees if you are an EEA-national. For more information please have a look at: http://www.ib-groep.nl/particulieren/international-student/student-finance/loan.asp

2) If you work 56 hours a month you can also apply for a loan to cover your living expenses. For more information please have a look at:http://www.ib-groep.nl/particulieren/international-student/student-finance/how-does-it-work.asp

For more information about financial matters please visit our website: http://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/masters-programmes/practicalissues/beforearrival/financialpreparations/

Please be aware that the costs of living can differ per city. :smile:

Hi,
Thanks for your reply! A couple of further questions, if thats OK?

1)To clarify, is the tuition fee loan is available to ALL residents of the EEA, and is independent of the 56 Hours a month?

2)Secondly, is it a realistic possibility to manage to get a part-time (well, 56-Hour) job within the first couple of months of moving there, if I am unable to speak Dutch? Of course I want to learn while I am there, but of course I won't be able to speak very much when I arrive...

Cheers,
Dom.
Original post by domjohnson
Hi,
Thanks for your reply! A couple of further questions, if thats OK?

1)To clarify, is the tuition fee loan is available to ALL residents of the EEA, and is independent of the 56 Hours a month?

2)Secondly, is it a realistic possibility to manage to get a part-time (well, 56-Hour) job within the first couple of months of moving there, if I am unable to speak Dutch? Of course I want to learn while I am there, but of course I won't be able to speak very much when I arrive...

Cheers,
Dom.

Hello again, That is fine, although I would advise you to contact DUO directly to be a 100 percent sure you can reach them at 003150 599 77 55

1) As far as I am aware the tuition fee loan is available for all EEA students. To quote DUO "
Do you fail to meet the nationality requirements for student finance? Then you may qualify for limited funding towards the payment of your fees. You must be younger than 30 and come from an EU/EEA-country or Switzerland.
For a full-time course in secondary vocational (mbo) or adult (vavo) education, you can apply for a contribution to course fees, which is a gift. For a full-time or dual degree programme in higher education (hbo) or university, you can apply for a tuition fees loan." For more information please visit: http://www.ib-groep.nl/particulieren/international-student/student-finance/applying-for-student-finance.asp

2) If you would study in Tilburg you get free language vouchers, which you can use to take a Dutch course. Your Bachelor’s or your Master's program are full-time programs, so you have to decide for yourself if you would be able to combine the two. In call-centres and pubs they often ask for English-native speakers. I always recommend students to come earlier to the Netherlands and look for a job already during the summer holidays, since there are only a limited amount of jobs available for non-Dutch speakers.
Reply 36
hi , I have currently received my as results and unfortunately due to health circumstances failed 3 out of 4 (AS) subjects, however I've enrolled onto a course with allows me to retake all units included in the AS, including Maths, Chemistry and economics as-well as progressing to complete my A2(second year). How will this affect my enrolment for Dutch universities in general as well as Tilburg for the academic year 2015/2016.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 37
We are on this forum to answer any questions you may have about the programs we offer at Tilburg University, the application procedure and admission requirements. But of course we will also gladly tell you more about what studying in Holland is all about. We know how hard, and at the same time important, choosing the right study program and university is. So we would be glad to help you on your way.

Hi! I actually live in the Netherlands, and I"m currently doing my A Levels. I was planning on applying to university in the Netherlands, specifically to do Chemical Engineering in Groningen. I called them up to just enquire about the application process and they said that they don't have any grade requirements for entry, just a pass in my A Levels. However, after looking at other threads about studying in Holland, people have said they they have received conditional offers from Groningen, which means that they must, in fact, look at the grades?
Reply 38
Hi, I understand that your only requirement regarding A levels is that we pass them but I was wondering what the average A level grade of your international undergraduate students is? I would like to apply for the Liberal Arts programme. Thanks.
Reply 39
Hi,

All sites about studying in the Netherlands say that 3 Scottish Highers and 3 Scottish Advanced Highers are needed to go into University in the Netherlands, however they also say that these 6 subjects must all be different - This is however not possible in the traditional Scottish education system so I do not understand how this is possible. Last year I did 5 highers (Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Geography) and this year, my last (6th year), I am planning to do Advanced Higher Geography, and then 3 other highers in Physics, Religious Moral and Philosophical studies, and Modern Studies. I don't mean to be rude but I'm not sure the Nuffic (the website I used to find the qualifications conversion list) understands how to Scottish Qualifications work as it is traditional for students to complete 5 Highers in 5th year and then in the final year to either do more highers to further their range of subjects, or to do Advanced Highers, of which no more than 3 can be done, so does this mean that 5-8 highers is not enough? Sorry for the long convoluted question, but basically I need to know if 8 highers and 1 advanced higher is enough for me to get into Dutch universities?

Thankyou so much!!

Latest

Trending

Trending