The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The way to go would be to take 6 highers and than bring 3 of them to the advanced level. (Or simply take 3 highers and 3 different advanced highers. From your post that seems to be possible as well.) It might not be the usual way to go in the Scottish system, but it should definitely be doable. The problem is apparently that the level of highers is lower than VWO-level (the Dutch pre-university education). Students take a minimum of 8 (major) VWO subjects, so asking for 6 highers is below what is needed for Dutch university. Unlike in some country's qualifications, a challenging subject combination can make you admissible with Scottish highers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 41
Unfortunately I have already completed my highers year. It is not possible to take 6 highers as it does not fit into the time table. This means that the 3 advanced highers will not be all different from the 5 highers I would have done. It is also not possible to do 3 highers one year (This is too little) and do 3 different advanced highers the next as the levels follow on from each other so you can't start at advanced higher level. My options now are 2 advanced highers and 2 highers bringing my total number of higher to 7 + 1 advance higher which means I have 7 different subjects in total, or 1 advanced higher and 3 highers meaning my total number of highers is 8, and following 1 through to advanced higher level. Whether you do advanced higher or not is not, in my case, to do with not being able to do it, but personal choice, as I have to take a Crash Higher Physics this year, and you are not allowed to,take any more than 3 advanced highers. This is because an advanced higher is equal to the first year of university. Would it still be possible to go to a Dutch university? I forgot to mention I also speak Dutch,

Thankyou!
Original post by MarianaK
Hi, I understand that your only requirement regarding A levels is that we pass them but I was wondering what the average A level grade of your international undergraduate students is? I would like to apply for the Liberal Arts programme. Thanks.

Hello Mariana,
Great to hear you are interested in applying for the Liberal Arts program in the Netherlands. Entry requirements for this program in the Netherlands are the same for each university, though some may have more emphasis on higher grades. I can only give you this information for Tilburg and for the UK system we handle the following requirements:
General Certificate of Secondary Education in 3 subjects with marks ranging from A*-C, plus a General Certificate of Education (A-levels) with 3 subjects at advanced level A-D (six different subjects in total)

https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/bachelors-programs/admissionrequirements.htm

We use a holistic approach in the admissions for Liberal Arts including educational background, providing an essay and motivation plus an admissions interview give us a good indication whether the program fits the student profile. Good luck making your decision and let us know if there is anything else you need to know. Kind regards, Ingeborg
Original post by Lova97
Unfortunately I have already completed my highers year. It is not possible to take 6 highers as it does not fit into the time table. This means that the 3 advanced highers will not be all different from the 5 highers I would have done. It is also not possible to do 3 highers one year (This is too little) and do 3 different advanced highers the next as the levels follow on from each other so you can't start at advanced higher level. My options now are 2 advanced highers and 2 highers bringing my total number of higher to 7 + 1 advance higher which means I have 7 different subjects in total, or 1 advanced higher and 3 highers meaning my total number of highers is 8, and following 1 through to advanced higher level. Whether you do advanced higher or not is not, in my case, to do with not being able to do it, but personal choice, as I have to take a Crash Higher Physics this year, and you are not allowed to,take any more than 3 advanced highers. This is because an advanced higher is equal to the first year of university. Would it still be possible to go to a Dutch university? I forgot to mention I also speak Dutch,

Thankyou!

Hello, in your message you are referring to the Scottish school system. This has recently been adjusted by the NUFFIC organization. Now the entry level has been adjusted to: an SQC with 2 Advanced Highers in combination with at least 4 Highers.
Previously, this was an SQC with 3 subjects in higher and 3 subjects in advanced higher (in 6 different subjects). With the recent change the requirement of six different subjects has been deleted. When reading the country module of UK at the Nuffic they haven't made the modifications yet, but they did publish it in the news section on their website. I hope this information helps.
Kind regards, Ingeborg
Reply 44
Thank you so much! Would this count for all universities? Thank you!
Original post by Zefiros
The way to go would be to take 6 highers and than bring 3 of them to the advanced level. (Or simply take 3 highers and 3 different advanced highers. From your post that seems to be possible as well.) It might not be the usual way to go in the Scottish system, but it should definitely be doable. The problem is apparently that the level of highers is lower than VWO-level (the Dutch pre-university education). Students take a minimum of 8 (major) VWO subjects, so asking for 6 highers is below what is needed for Dutch university. Unlike in some country's qualifications, a challenging subject combination can make you admissible with Scottish highers.

According to the Nuffic website the entry levels from the Scottish school system have recently been adjusted: Now the entry level has been adjusted to: an SQC with 2 Advanced Highers in combination with at least 4 Highers.
Previously, this was an SQC with 3 subjects in higher and 3 subjects in advanced higher (in 6 different subjects). With the recent change the requirement of six different subjects has been deleted. When reading the country module of UK at the Nuffic they haven't made the modifications yet, but they did publish it in the news section on their website. I hope this information helps. Regards, Ingeborg
Original post by Lova97
Hi,

All sites about studying in the Netherlands say that 3 Scottish Highers and 3 Scottish Advanced Highers are needed to go into University in the Netherlands, however they also say that these 6 subjects must all be different - This is however not possible in the traditional Scottish education system so I do not understand how this is possible. Last year I did 5 highers (Maths, English, Biology, Chemistry and Geography) and this year, my last (6th year), I am planning to do Advanced Higher Geography, and then 3 other highers in Physics, Religious Moral and Philosophical studies, and Modern Studies. I don't mean to be rude but I'm not sure the Nuffic (the website I used to find the qualifications conversion list) understands how to Scottish Qualifications work as it is traditional for students to complete 5 Highers in 5th year and then in the final year to either do more highers to further their range of subjects, or to do Advanced Highers, of which no more than 3 can be done, so does this mean that 5-8 highers is not enough? Sorry for the long convoluted question, but basically I need to know if 8 highers and 1 advanced higher is enough for me to get into Dutch universities?

Thankyou so much!!

Hi, the entry levels for Scottisch diploma's have recently been adjusted by the NUFFIC organization. Now the entry level has been adjusted to: an SQC with 2 Advanced Highers in combination with at least 4 Highers.
Previously, this was an SQC with 3 subjects in higher and 3 subjects in advanced higher (in 6 different subjects). With the recent change the requirement of six different subjects has been deleted. When reading the country module of UK at the Nuffic they haven't made the modifications yet, but they did publish it in the news section on their website. I hope this information helps.
Original post by Lova97

Thankyou!

Hi, the entry levels for Scottisch diploma's have recently been adjusted by the NUFFIC organization. Now the entry level has been adjusted to: an SQC with 2 Advanced Highers in combination with at least 4 Highers.
Original post by gooner97
hi , I have currently received my as results and unfortunately due to health circumstances failed 3 out of 4 (AS) subjects, however I've enrolled onto a course with allows me to retake all units included in the AS, including Maths, Chemistry and economics as-well as progressing to complete my A2(second year). How will this affect my enrolment for Dutch universities in general as well as Tilburg for the academic year 2015/2016.

Hi, I am sorry to read you were unable to pass your finals this year. Glad you can retake them! Regarding your question. If you are planning to retake Alevels in Math, Chemistry and Economics this year, you are eligible to apply for the next academic year of 2015/2016. In the Netherlands we are aware of the fact that your grades come in late in August, but this is fine. You can already start your admissions process based on predictory grades and/or a most accurate grade list. Hope this helps! Please note that depending on your choice of program for the Economics and Management programs there are two numerus fixus programs: IBA and Economics, which means there are limited amount of seats. The Application & Admissions procedures deviates from the standard. Please let us know if there is anything else we can support you with. Kind regards, Ingeborg
Reply 49
Original post by Tilburg University
According to the Nuffic website the entry levels from the Scottish school system have recently been adjusted: Now the entry level has been adjusted to: an SQC with 2 Advanced Highers in combination with at least 4 Highers.
Previously, this was an SQC with 3 subjects in higher and 3 subjects in advanced higher (in 6 different subjects). With the recent change the requirement of six different subjects has been deleted. When reading the country module of UK at the Nuffic they haven't made the modifications yet, but they did publish it in the news section on their website. I hope this information helps. Regards, Ingeborg

Also, 5 of my highers are the old highers, and the advanced highers would also be the old highers, so would this change still apply to me?
Original post by Lova97
Also, 5 of my highers are the old highers, and the advanced highers would also be the old highers, so would this change still apply to me?

Dear Lova97,

Thank you for your question! We will ask our diploma evaluation department to look into your question and get back to you as soon as possible with an answer.

Thank you for your patience:smile:

Kind regards,

Tilburg University
Original post by Lova97

When you refer to 'old highers' what do you mean? Did you graduate before 2000? Could you please send us a scan of your diploma and transcript of records by e-mail [email protected]. Then my colleague Ingeborg is able to give you a personal advice. Would that be ok for you?
Greeting i'm mohamed salah from Egypt.
i was asking about the process of enrolling in masters program in Netherlands.
should i send my Ba Certificate directly to the University or should i send it first to the embassy of Netherlands in Egypt to have their Seal of approval (it Is the seal confirms the authenticity of the document) on my Ba then i send it to the university.
i would be very thankful for your help
Hi Salah,

Thanks for your question! I cannot speak for all Dutch universities, but at Tilburg University we have an online application system. You can scan your diploma and upload it, after which it will be evaluated. You only have to arrange for a certified copy of your diploma after you've heard you are accepted for thep rogram. The only exception would be if the admissions officer cannot read your transcript, doubts authenticity, or for another reason. Then they will ask you to send a certified copy anyway. But in most cases it's not necesarry. You can find our application system here: https://apply.tilburguniversity.edu

Hope that helps!

Anne
thanks for these information :smile:
Hello,

I will finalize IB next spring and I am looking for Bachelor Programs in English language in the Netherlands, preferably Internat. Business and the like.

Are there restrictions regarding the number of universities I can apply at or anything else one has to consider ?

Though I`ll have the IB in Asia I am a holder of an EU-Passport.

Thanks,

Peter
Hi.
I'm considering a bachelors in Amsterdam and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to find accommodation over there. For me and my partner preferably. Also any general advice about going to the Netherlands to study would be much appreciated.
I'm from Northern Ireland.
Original post by Peter 678
Hello,

I will finalize IB next spring and I am looking for Bachelor Programs in English language in the Netherlands, preferably Internat. Business and the like.

Are there restrictions regarding the number of universities I can apply at or anything else one has to consider ?

Though I`ll have the IB in Asia I am a holder of an EU-Passport.

Thanks,

Peter

Hi Petere,

Tilburg University offers an IBA program: https://www.tilburguniversity.edu/education/bachelors-programs/international-business-administration/BSc-International-Business-Administration/

Since this is a numerus fixus program, you can only apply for places at three universities. You can only register in studielink for three Numerus Fixus programs. However, the deadline for application is May 1. Most universities require an application directly to the university, alongside the Studielink registration. So if you submit your application early, you can get an answer from the admissions office before you are forced to register for a maximum of three in studielink. On May 1, you have to select your nr 1 choice and the program you are going to go for. Therefore I would advise you to apply early, so that you actually know whether you are accepted before you pick your one program.

If you hold an EU passport you would qualify for the EU tuition fee in the Netherlands, for 2014/2015 this is €1980. Do keep in mind that there are select colleges that have a surcharge, such as the university colleges. Most general programs will have this price though.

Hope this answers your questions!
Feel free to email us if you have any more, we tend to respond more quickly :smile: -> [email protected].

Best,
Anne Kuijs
Original post by tiarnanmcc
Hi.
I'm considering a bachelors in Amsterdam and I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best way to find accommodation over there. For me and my partner preferably. Also any general advice about going to the Netherlands to study would be much appreciated.
I'm from Northern Ireland.

Dear Tiarnanmcc,

Our university is not located in Amsterdam, so I wouldn't know exactly how to help you there. I do know that getting affordable housing is not always easy. You can try some websites like www.kamertje.nl or www.kamernet.nl. I'm sure the universty of amsterdam will also be able to offer student housing or other options.

Regarding studying in the Netherlands, the best website to check out is www.studyinholland.com.

Feel free to contact us as well if you want to know more about studying in the NL or at Tilburg University!
[email protected].

Anne Kuijs
Hi, I am interested in study a master in finance in tilburg. I am from argentina but I don't know if i need to take a pre-master , I think maybe is better for me to do a pre-master. I want to know the requirements for pre-master in finance and if I can apply because I am a foreign student. I need the GMAT for a pre-master? at least 600?
Thank You

Latest

Trending

Trending