The Student Room Group

The 2014 Oxford rejections thread.

Scroll to see replies

I just want to say chin up guys, well done for getting this far! I was in your position last year but now I'm in Bristol having the time of my life! Oxford is amazing, but it's not the end of the world if you don't get in. You will realise this when you start uni elsewhere :smile: It took me months to get over my rejection (may not take you as long so don't worry, it takes me awhile when it comes to these things :tongue:) and I didn't let go until I started at Bristol. Now I don't regret a thing. Things happen for a reason!

Good luck to you all! :smile:
Reply 41
Original post by gs1996
If you weren't "good enough", you wouldn't have been interviewed. I recommend we just ignore this guy. :smile:

I found that he has been offered a place at Cambridge, pretty sad that he has come to a rejection thread just to be all arrogant and make others feel bad :smile:

At least we are the better people here...
Reply 42
Original post by LDsmith
I found that he has been offered a place at Cambridge, pretty sad that he has come to a rejection thread just to be all arrogant and make others feel bad :smile:

At least we are the better people here...

Hahahaha, I don't even feel bad because of him- he's just motivated me even more. :wink:
Hey, if anyone knows - how do we get feedback for our application? I would really like to know what my interviews were actually judged as by the tutors/where I messed up in my overall app. Even if it's a few words how do we go about getting feedback?
Reply 44
Original post by gs1996
Hahahaha, I don't even feel bad because of him- he's just motivated me even more. :wink:

Me neither, I've seen a few pretty arrogant offer holders. Like, what even is the point?

Cheers to still going somewhere great :cheers:
Original post by IAmABaws
Oxford is better than the other unis to which you applied. Just understand that you aren't good enough and move on. Not being harsh, but you are trying to elude reality here.

I've seen you from the Cambridge thread and know you got an offer. Congratulations.

Now, stop being unnecessarily mean to people who got rejected just because you got in. There ARE plenty of other fantastic unis - there's no need to make people feel even worse about having got rejected, I'm sure they're disappointed already.

Don't be a dick!
Reply 46
Rejected for Computer Science at Keble. :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
Reply 47
Original post by gs1996
If you weren't "good enough", you wouldn't have been interviewed. I recommend we just ignore this guy. :smile:

I meant good enough to get in, after the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Peeps, don't let one rejection drag you down. Yes it's a shame and it might have been nice to go to Oxford, but we really ARE lucky in the UK to have several world-class unis. Likeliness is you will go wherever is your next favourite and you will be very happy and successful there, and you'll look back at this thread and wonder why you were ever upset in the first place!

Chin up, peeps - the world is still your oyster :h:
I know I posted this in the general thread, but seeing as a special "rejects" thread has been started, you should all feel free to read my post about Oxbridge rejection (I myself am a Cambridge reject)- a few Oxford rejects have read it and approved :smile: www.thecambridgereject.wordpress.com Hope it helps!
I received my rejection earlier, following an application to do Maths at Corpus. Ah well, c'est la vi.

It's probably a silly question, but come results day, will it be possible to check with Oxford whether they still have any vacancies? I'm not particularly familiar with the way university applications work, but I figured it's worth asking on the off chance that it's possible.

I'm just waiting to hear back from Bristol now. I've already got offers from my 3 other choices (Nottingham being my favourite of the 3,) so once I hear from Bristol I should be able to get cracking on student finance.
Original post by CS the First

It's probably a silly question, but come results day, will it be possible to check with Oxford whether they still have any vacancies? I'm not particularly familiar with the way university applications work, but I figured it's worth asking on the off chance that it's possible.

:nah: All vacancies will be filled by the open offer holders :yes:
Reply 52
don't worry guys. There are so many other things in life that we can achieve. It is impossible to live without failing.
Reply 53
Original post by IAmABaws
I meant good enough to get in, after the interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

I made a mistake in my interview based on nerves, I know why I got rejected. If nerves makes me not good enough then so be it, and on this occasion it has, but you are never going to make me feel ashamed from getting rejected from one of the best universities in the world. I am proud to have been interviewed.
Reply 54
Original post by gs1996
I made a mistake in my interview based on nerves, I know why I got rejected. If nerves makes me not good enough then so be it, and on this occasion it has, but you are never going to make me feel ashamed from getting rejected from one of the best universities in the world. I am proud to have been interviewed.

LOL I never said you should be ashamed. There certainly isn't any shame in trying.
Reply 55
reject for PPE at mansfield

so the decision is final and there is no way to appeal, right?
Original post by LuNMH
reject for PPE at mansfield

so the decision is final and there is no way to appeal, right?

I'm afraid it pretty much is final, unless you have a pretty watertight reason for appealing? :dontknow:
Reply 57
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I'm afraid it pretty much is final, unless you have a pretty watertight reason for appealing? :dontknow:

I feel really stupid now because I wrote "this is why I want to study PPE at Oxford" in my personal statement.

i will have nowhere to go. good options such as UCL and LSE just won't bother after they read my ps.
Reply 58
Got rejected for Computer Science at Worcester.
Reply 59
Original post by BlueSkyeCloudyDay
Hey, if anyone knows - how do we get feedback for our application? I would really like to know what my interviews were actually judged as by the tutors/where I messed up in my overall app. Even if it's a few words how do we go about getting feedback?

Email your chosen/allocated college, or the general Oxford Admissions Office. Infact, you can email them and ask for feedback regardless what the decision was - offer or rejection. I heard they might be pretty vague though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending