The Student Room Group

HELP - Not sure if I can apply again

So I had an offer for the University of Aberdeen in 2012 which was a conditional upon passing a summer school. I filled in my application in plenty of time, however I failed the summer school so my UCAS offer was withdrawn a month before the start date so I didn't go to the university in September, and I didn't enroll or attend there at all.

I didn't realise that I needed to inform SFE that I was not attending, so I still got my maintenance loan and grant, but my tuition fees weren't paid for that year and were blocked by student finance because I did not attend a single day of the academic year. I spoke to SFE and was told that I didn't need to pay it back, it would just be deducted from future payments as I was applying for another course that starts in 2013.

I attended a full time degree course in Hull starting 2013, but am dropping out after the first semester that's just passed. I know that counts as one years funding because I did attend the first semester this year (whereas last year I didn't).

Now, I want to apply for a 3-year degree course at another university for the academic year 2014/2015. The formula that finance is calculated in is:

3 + 1 - A (where A is a previous years study)

The question is, would my situation count as two years of previous study or one?

Thanks!
Of course.
You've had two lots of funding.
Reply 2
Original post by balotelli12
Of course.
You've had two lots of funding.

First lot of funding was a mistake. I did not enroll or attend the uni. My offer was withdrawn a month before September. The "overpayment" is already being paid back through deductions from future loan payments. Surely what happened in 2012 can't be classed as a year of previous study?

I didn't have an offer after August.
I didn't enroll.
I didn't attend.
I had no contact with the university after having my offer withdrawn. Tuition fee payments were blocked becuase I did not enroll or attend. Since I've already made an agreement with SFE regarding paying back the accidental overpayment from Sep 2012, and I have only actually enrolled, attended and paid tuition fees on one year of university study, so I should be able to get 3+1-1 years of funding.
You've still had 2 lots of funding.
Reply 4
Original post by balotelli12
You've still had 2 lots of funding.

The first of which was in error.

Just in case anyone else has this problem and finds this thread: I phoned Student Finance and they said that as they made the payment of the maintenance loan and grant in error, and I didn't attend or enroll on the course, as long as I got the university to contact student finance and confirm that I didn't attend, it wouldn't count as a year of study, and wouldn't count against me at all.

It turned out that the university told Student Finance that I withdrew in November, and therefore attendance was assumed. It took a 5 minute phone call to the university and the situation has now been resolved.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending