The Student Room Group

Never been gym before

Female, 18 never been to a gym before. Any tips? Do's or don'ts?
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I've never been gym in my life however I'm extremely fit. Why pay a monthly subscription? Why sweat publicly? Why go to a germ infested gym where there is sweat and dirty bacteria everywhere?

Work out at home. It's so much easier.
But as yourequested, it depends what you're looking on doing with your body. Losing a few pounds or toning up.
Original post by purplestudent
I've never been gym in my life however I'm extremely fit. Why pay a monthly subscription? Why sweat publicly? Why go to a germ infested gym where there is sweat and dirty bacteria everywhere?

But as yourequested, it depends what you're looking on doing with your body. Losing a few pounds or toning up.

That's the thing. I've been working at home all my life, jogging, dancing etc. I just feel like I should try working out at the gym use the equipment and mix cardio with weights for a change. If I don't enjoy it so be it at least I tried it out lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well for cardio, you probably don't need the gym but for weights, you need it.
Reply 4
If you've never been to a gym before, it's important to find one where you feel most comfortable. Ask your friends if they go to the gym and where and perhaps see if you would go with them. It will be much more fun doing it with someone else.
Reply 5
lol im legit in the same position as you. Same age. Workout at home. Thinking of going to the gym and incorporate weights to alongside with the pilates i already do.
I'm buying a cheap barbell from argos but im too broke to go all out on home gym equipment so the gym might just be for me but then again, i'm prolly too broke to sign up for the gym! And I'm not in the know with gym ettiquette either!
Original post by Anonymoussomeone
That's the thing. I've been working at home all my life, jogging, dancing etc. I just feel like I should try working out at the gym use the equipment and mix cardio with weights for a change. If I don't enjoy it so be it at least I tried it out lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. If you're slim then, I recommend toning up excercises. Cardio first is a definite do! Then tone up using small weights, etc. However a massive don't (people do it all the time) is using a weight that is too heavy for you. 1. People look like a div if they can't lift the weight an 2. You could in fact be doing more harm to your body than good.

Side planks I would recommend for a smaller waist, being as you're a girl I thought you'd be interested haha.
Original post by James A
Well for cardio, you probably don't need the gym but for weights, you need it.

I use weights at home :cool:
Original post by Anonymoussomeone

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't mix cardio and weight lifting, just choose one or the other in my opinion.
Fair enough. If you're slim then, I recommend toning up excercises. Cardio first is a definite do! Then tone up using small weights, etc. However a massive don't (people do it all the time) is using a weight that is too heavy for you. 1. People look like a div if they can't lift the weight an 2. You could in fact be doing more harm to your body than good.

Side planks I would recommend for a smaller waist, being as you're a girl I thought you'd be interested haha.

Thanks just don't want to make a fool out of myself at the gym by doing something embarrassing with the weights and the equipment!!

Ahaha and yeah definitely gonna try and get a smaller waist especially to get prepped up for the summer :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10

This is precisely why I have built a home gym.

Power rack, bench, barbell, dumbbells, the full monty. :cool:
You'll get a whole host of conflicting opinions in this thread if it stays popular :p:
Reply 12
dont push yourself too much at first
I use weights at home :cool:

What weights do you have / equipment? :smile:
Original post by DarkWhite
You'll get a whole host of conflicting opinions in this thread if it stays popular :p:

Ahaha tell me about it! *hides face* :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've never been to the gym either
Original post by James A
What weights do you have / equipment? :smile:

Honestly, I'm not a massive fan of equipment. I have two sets of dumbbells, two 5 pound and two 10 pound.
The weights just help me do my workouts efficiently, however I believe it is technique more than anything.
Honestly, I'm not a massive fan of equipment. I have two sets of dumbbells, two 5 pound and two 10 pound.
The weights just help me do my workouts efficiently, however I believe it is technique more than anything.

Well it depends what you want from the gym, me personally, I want the rowing machines for cardio warmup, then I go on to weights :smile:

I wanna build arm muscle though so it's barbells for me, but we all have different goals xD
Original post by James A
Well it depends what you want from the gym, me personally, I want the rowing machines for cardio warmup, then I go on to weights :smile:

I wanna build arm muscle though so it's barbells for me, but we all have different goals xD

I don't go to the gym lmao, the whole reason is because most of my excercises (other than arms) are floor excercises or I'm on low on the ground.
Reply 19
Original post by mrhedgehog
Don't mix cardio and weight lifting, just choose one or the other in my opinion.

-said no one

Thats a totally bad idea imo

Quick Reply

Latest