The Student Room Group

Horrific Article on Troubled Teen Industry in the USA

Please read this http://www.cracked.com/article_20843_6-shocking-realities-secret-troubled-teen-industry.html. The article contains several links to studies done into this sort of thing, and google reveals many other (often worse) accounts by people who have been through this.

I can't really summarise without triviallising or over exagerating it, so just read the article.

All I can say is what the actual **** is wrong with those people.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I read this yesterday, it's completely ****ed up.
Reply 2
You can always call CPS and tell them that you are abused if you are a minor. If you stick with your story then there is a almost 100% chance that whoever has custody of you will have their rights revoked (irrespective of their wealth or social standing). Foster homes aren't pretty too, though.
That's just... awful.
Reply 4
Why should we care when teens in other countries are living in poverty, or forced to be child soldiers? People in other countries have it much worse.
Original post by CEKTOP
You can always call CPS and tell them that you are abused if you are a minor. If you stick with your story then there is a almost 100% chance that whoever has custody of you will have their rights revoked (irrespective of their wealth or social standing). Foster homes aren't pretty too, though.

The trouble is, once these people get hold of you, you pretty much can't escape.
Reply 6
My word. Really tough reading. Horrific to see it in the western world.
Original post by redferry
Why should we care when teens in other countries are living in poverty, or forced to be child soldiers? People in other countries have it much worse.

So....we can only care about the very worst thing that's happening in the world at one time?
Reply 8
Original post by Viva Emptiness
So....we can only care about the very worst thing that's happening in the world at one time?

Well I don't see many people here trying to help people in Africa...or Saudi Arabia! Hypocrites!
Well I don't see many people here trying to help people in Africa...or Saudi Arabia! Hypocrites!

Just because you don't see things doesn't mean they aren't there...
Reply 10
Original post by cant_think_of_name
Just because you don't see things doesn't mean they aren't there...

Well they don't speak up for them do they so they can't really be that bothered about teenagers rights.
Reply 11

Does the existence of terrible suffering elsewhere reduce the suffering someone experiences? No.
Just because some people have it worse, does not mean that you are not in a bad situation. This is also a solvable situation by simple legislature, so it's disgusting it still occurs. If you can stop it, why shouldn't you - the fact there are other people in worse situations shouldn't affect this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by NinjaSheep
Does the existence of terrible suffering elsewhere reduce the suffering someone experiences? No.
Just because some people have it worse, does not mean that you are not in a bad situation. This is also a solvable situation by simple legislature, so it's disgusting it still occurs. If you can stop it, why shouldn't you - the fact there are other people in worse situations shouldn't affect this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Those teenagers need to grow up and be less sensitive. If people get damaged by a few weeks in the woods then they need to grow up and stop being so overemotional. That's the problem with teenagers, they're always so self pitying. Back in my grandmas generation they'd be helping support the family by their age they should be grateful for what they have got.
Holy...
Well they don't speak up for them do they so they can't really be that bothered about teenagers rights.

I don't think the state of affairs in Africa is as concealed a problem as this. Speaking up doesn't really do much if the problem is already well-known. People speak up about new, less well-known problems in Africa frequently.
Those teenagers need to grow up and be less sensitive. If people get damaged by a few weeks in the woods then they need to grow up and stop being so overemotional. That's the problem with teenagers, they're always so self pitying. Back in my grandmas generation they'd be helping support the family by their age they should be grateful for what they have got.

I swear you're trolling. No one can be this stupid.
Reply 16
Some of the replies in this thread make me wish there was still neg rep. How can a dead child 'suck it up'? Abuse needs to stop: wherever it happens. I find it tiring that people feel the need to prove they have a bleeding heart and are always pointing out 'hypocrisy' in deliberately extreme posts.
Original post by You Failed
I swear you're trolling. No one can be this stupid.

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you?
Reply 18

Some stories have people being in these programmes for over a year, and when they come back they can start suffering from new metal illnesses. PTSD is not unheard of.

At your point about worse happening in africa, we all know what goes on in africa. This is something going on in the western world, something very few people are aware of and something that could actually be stopped.
Reply 19
Original post by james22
Some stories have people being in these programmes for over a year, and when they come back they can start suffering from new metal illnesses. PTSD is not unheard of.

At your point about worse happening in africa, we all know what goes on in africa. This is something going on in the western world, something very few people are aware of and something that could actually be stopped.

Well it's not like they got sent to War or anything. Why is this an issue when teenager got sent to fight and die in WW1 and 2!? The suffered way more back then. As I said they are just being over sensitive and need to appreciate what they have!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending