The Student Room Group

Why does there have to be a Scottish/English rivalry?

I read this article earlier http://www.buzzfeed.com/georgepitt/20-reasons-why-england-is-better-than-scotland-j74q
and it really gets on my nerves.

Scroll to see replies

I know quite a few Scots who slag England off at every opportunity. It seems to have flared up more since Scotland want their independence. But I understand their point of view, apparently when events like the European Championships & World cup come round, they get bombarded with adverts telling them to support the Three Lions & to buy the new England kit. Imagine how annoying it would be for us to have another country plastered all over our nation.
Reply 2
For the bantz, eh.
Because the scotch are such a liberal and forward thinking people, yet we are just mostly known for our drunken Incomprehensible dialect and bad weather.
Rivalries are fun!

Scotland and England have no real contemporary to reason to rival each other, they aren't different countries, what belongs to England belongs to Scotland etc whats mine is yours type thing
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
People are stupid.
Reply 6
Banter mostly. The Scottish teams never qualify for much so it's fun to be able to support everyone who plays against England.

There is a little bit of seriousness to it with things like the English based rags going on about how subsided/dependant the Scots are by the English and stuff like that when it's not the truth. There's misinformations that some English people bring up and added all together it gets annoying. Like that list - Scottish money is legal tender; England is a bigger country of course the sports teams are better; London's just big that doesn't make it super special; the weather isn't that different ect. That list is taking the piss but some English people think there's a point under the joke and there's not as much of a point as they think it is so it gets annoying.

It's like the North South thing in England but exaggerated because Scotland is more different from the South
I kind of want to study in Glasgow, but I'm worried that i'll be knifed or something. Does anyone have any experience of living and studying in Glasgow (or even just Scotland)? And how do the Scots treat the English students?
Reply 8
Original post by sambennett1234
I kind of want to study in Glasgow, but I'm worried that i'll be knifed or something. Does anyone have any experience of living and studying in Glasgow (or even just Scotland)? And how do the Scots treat the English students?

You will be mugged, murdered and raped repeatedly. Better start working on your accent.
Original post by Joeman560
You will be mugged, murdered and raped repeatedly. Better start working on your accent.

Thought as much. I'm going to try deep frying a mars bar tonight as part of my preparation.
That's like asking me why do I hate Luton? Rivalries are irrational.
Reply 11
Meh, can't say I've really noticed it. I've heard about people supporting football teams that play England and things like that, but it's not really what happens among the people I know. I think it all sounds a bit petty really - if it was just a rivalry, fine, but when it's a smaller region with a bit of an inferiority complex, it just becomes a little bit bitter.

For my part, I support England when Scotland isn't playing and in the cricket when I can be bothered with it.

Original post by BKS
Scottish money is legal tender

No it isn't. Not even in Scoltand.

London's just big that doesn't make it super special

It doesn't, and yet it is super-special. It's one of the most incredible cities in the world.
It's a traditional rivalry which has been around since the early medieval times when the two kingdoms were bitter enemies, of course now there is no (or very little) malice in the rivalry and it's more a cultural 'banter' type thing.
Original post by andrew2209
That's like asking me why do I hate Luton? Rivalries are irrational.

I guess even if they are irrational, they are always going to exist. Also. sport wouldn't be much fun without a bit of rivalry
Reply 14
Why does there have to be rivalry between Lancashire and Yorkshire?

......(has its roots in history, continued because it is fun and shapes our identity)
Reply 15
I find the James Bond example quite funny. Which part of the UK was the first Bond from again?

Also, in Skyfall

Spoiler

I also find it quite ironic that the actor who first played Bond, loyal defender of the British realm, is now supporting breaking Britain up.
Original post by sambennett1234
I read this article earlier http://www.buzzfeed.com/georgepitt/20-reasons-why-england-is-better-than-scotland-j74q
and it really gets on my nerves.

Your right when you say it exists, In fact I would say the rivalry is acknowledged by the majority of Scots.

It's not hate though. I really want England to lose when it comes to any sport, even the club teams if I'm being honest. In the commonwealth games, if there is a final and no scot is in it...I would want ANYONE but England to win it. Its just a rivalry though, a bit of banter. I would add the welsh in to be honest... they are just an extension of England to me!

So why? Well I can remember as a wee laddie, my parents and gran parents would always "drum" it in, we have family in England (scots) but there would always be an England v Scotland when it came to board games , sports etc etc. I always remeber my grand parents saying "ye never want the English to win" etc etc. I guess its kind of stuck, I never want them to and never will! I will also proudly continue this tradition by passing it on to my offspring when I get the chance. All friendly banter though, veyr important to realise that! Its like coke and pepsi, you would never fight over it!

Tv is another big reason. Three lions adverts can be very irritating when Scotland have not qualified (which is current common, hasn't always been that way though). It causes resentment for me. Listening to English TV hosts banging on about how they are going to win everything just makes you want them to lose. Everyone hates arrogance.

Then of course there is the cultural differences that simply increase that divide. Most scots don't feel like they could support "England". In fact you are a bit odd if you do in my eyes. Its very uncommon.
Original post by L i b
Meh, can't say I've really noticed it.

For my part, I support England when Scotland isn't playing and in the cricket when I can be bothered with it.

Everyone surely has noticed it? or have I lived a a dream for 21 years and soon I will wake up and realise that in fact this rivalry doesn't exist? You live in cloud cooku land
Original post by Psyk
I find the James Bond example quite funny. Which part of the UK was the first Bond from again?

Also, in Skyfall

Spoiler

I also find it quite ironic that the actor who first played Bond, loyal defender of the British realm, is now supporting breaking Britain up.

My opinion of Sean Connery has gone down considerably since some of his comments about independence, of course it's easy for him to criticise when he's lavishly living it up in the tax-free Bahamas.

IIRC the 'real' James Bond in Ian Fleming's novels was born in Scotland and attended school there, not sure how much Scottish blood he had though.
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
My opinion of Sean Connery has gone down considerably since some of his comments about independence, of course it's easy for him to criticise when he's lavishly living it up in the tax-free Bahamas.

IIRC the 'real' James Bond in Ian Fleming's novels was born in Scotland and attended school there, not sure how much Scottish blood he had though.

I thought he attended Eton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending