The Student Room Group

How many hours is/was your longest day of classes

Scroll to see replies

My longest day lasted 7 hours, started at 12 finished at 7, with two breaks in between.
Original post by Stephanie_12
I just looked at my timetable for the new term and seen that I have an 11 hour day on Mondays, I can't believe that's what I'm supposed to be doing. So I was wondering if anyone else has or had classes like this. I've emailed my PT to see if its correct because when I was looking last term it wasn't that bad.

what 9-8 yep I had 2 days like that Monday and Tuesday so your not alone
Original post by jelly1000
Chances are people won't need to do that in every break.

I'll believe that people don't have something they could be doing during breaks when every student is getting top grades.
Original post by GoingToBurst
I'll believe that people don't have something they could be doing during breaks when every student is getting top grades.

Lol my grades are dependent on how well I get on with the essay question not having spent all of my breaks working hard.
4 hours would be my longest I think

I spend all day at uni Mon-Fri though and work between contact hours, wouldn't be able to get everything done otherwise as I also have a job and commute to uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
My longest last semester was 9-5 with two 1 hour breaks in between this semester my longest is 10 - 4 with a 2 hour break in between.
It probably depends on the type of course you're doing I've heard science/medicine etc have long hours.
Reply 26
I have a 10 hour day on Thursdays, timetable as follows:

9-11 - Lecture
11-1 - Independent study (we have a Mac suite assigned to us for this time)
1-3 - Maya (3D Modelling Tutorial)
3-5 - Lecture
5-7 - Workshop

My course is film production
Lol my grades are dependent on how well I get on with the essay question not having spent all of my breaks working hard.

...generally people that work harder get on better with their essay questions too.

Anyway, I'm not trying to put anyone down for not using their breaks to work, that's their choice, but I just find it difficult to comprehend why anyone would say they don't have anything to do when they know they could be using their breaks to do any extra reading, expand on their notes or start revision for exams (it's never too early).
Everyone learns differently and some people are better at different aspects of academia than others, but it's obvious to see that people that read around their courses generally have better grades. Whether that be better grades than their peers that don't read around the subject or better grades than in the modules that they may not have dedicated as much reading to.
Edit: ****, just realised this was a uni thread.
(edited 10 years ago)
I've pulled maybe three 12+ hour days so far in clinical school, but that's often been me deciding I want to be in surgery that morning so get there at 7:30, and then supervision starts at 6 so stay around til then, then that overruns etc. My longest timetabled day in pre-clinical was a 9-7 with 1 hour lunch break every other Wednesday for one and a half terms.
...generally people that work harder get on better with their essay questions too.

Anyway, I'm not trying to put anyone down for not using their breaks to work, that's their choice, but I just find it difficult to comprehend why anyone would say they don't have anything to do when they know they could be using their breaks to do any extra reading, expand on their notes or start revision for exams (it's never too early).
Everyone learns differently and some people are better at different aspects of academia than others, but it's obvious to see that people that read around their courses generally have better grades. Whether that be better grades than their peers that don't read around the subject or better grades than in the modules that they may not have dedicated as much reading to.

Hasn't been the case for me, I've spent ages on some essays, in one case I did badly and I've done well on ones I haven't spent so long on.
Hasn't been the case for me, I've spent ages on some essays, in one case I did badly and I've done well on ones I haven't spent so long on.

It isn't the time spent on essays alone I'm talking about. It's time spent on learning in general. (this isn't aimed towards you, this is just a recent general observation) If more people spent more time focussing on actually learning the content throughout the semester, they'd be better off in terms of grades when it comes to coursework and exams. So many of my peers only focus on doing enough to see them through the coursework at the time and then pretty much have to teach themselves the course content come exam time.

I don't know about you or your uni etc, but most of my friends do the bare minimum of work throughout the term, complain they have nothing to do during breaks then stress out over exams because they realise that they don't know the course content. They also rag on me because I spend my breaks doing work rather than wasting it drinking coffee for 5 hours on the trot, yet ask me hundreds of questions about everything when it clicks that the exam is in a few days and they are ridiculously unprepared.

edit: sorry this has basically just turned into me ranting about other people not doing the work and then asking me for shortcuts. Let's agree to disagree here though. I think that there is always something to be done during breaks and you don't.
It isn't the time spent on essays alone I'm talking about. It's time spent on learning in general. (this isn't aimed towards you, this is just a recent general observation) If more people spent more time focussing on actually learning the content throughout the semester, they'd be better off in terms of grades when it comes to coursework and exams. So many of my peers only focus on doing enough to see them through the coursework at the time and then pretty much have to teach themselves the course content come exam time.

I don't know about you or your uni etc, but most of my friends do the bare minimum of work throughout the term, complain they have nothing to do during breaks then stress out over exams because they realise that they don't know the course content. They also rag on me because I spend my breaks doing work rather than wasting it drinking coffee for 5 hours on the trot, yet ask me hundreds of questions about everything when it clicks that the exam is in a few days and they are ridiculously unprepared.

edit: sorry this has basically just turned into me ranting about other people not doing the work and then asking me for shortcuts. Let's agree to disagree here though. I think that there is always something to be done during breaks and you don't.

I understand what your saying, and I understand your frustration with your coursemates, I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I was just talking about one side of things- at my university our semester 1 modules are 100% coursework so there is no need to stress out spending every break trying to learn every detail.
I ended up organising a notetaker for the longer days, I'll go to some classes then the notetaker will take notes for the ones that I can't make it too. The problem for me is that I have OCD which prevents me from actually doing simple things like going to the library or eating outside, hence my worry for the longer days.
Reply 34
My longest day is on tuesdays, from 10 am to 7 PM, I have one hour of lunch break, so it's 8 hours of class, and it's killing me haha
Reply 35
5 hours which is quite a frequent thing for me on Mondays.
4 hours of lectures and an hour long seminar.

Study Econ.
My longest day is Monday with 7-8 hours atm but it's going to go back to being just 4-5 hours in a couple of weeks
Original post by senz72
5 hours which is quite a frequent thing for me on Mondays.
4 hours of lectures and an hour long seminar.

Study Econ.

Ouch
Reply 38
Original post by New- Emperor
Ouch

It's quite bad considering I'm doing a social science.
Original post by rawrr_charlotte
My longest day is Monday with 7-8 hours atm but it's going to go back to being just 4-5 hours in a couple of weeks

hey, do you remember me from the leyton thread? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending