The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by ireallydontknow7
Ahh you're the only person that I've seen is doing the same combination as me! Most people who do further maths do physics as well!! What exam boards are you on?

I think its edexcell for maths and OCR for science. I don't get how so many are doing 5 A levels XD my school won't let us because it makes us take citizenship for some reason
Original post by tepeon
I think its edexcell for maths and OCR for science. I don't get how so many are doing 5 A levels XD my school won't let us because it makes us take citizenship for some reason

Ahh I'm on AQA for maths and OCR B for sciences! And I know, when people from school find out what I'm doing they're shocked by the difficulty! I would die doing physics as well!!XD we have to do the extended project qualification as well for an hour a week!
Reply 182
We don't get to do that until next year. I think we do general studies too. On the plus side I've been told that further maths looks amazing on application forms :biggrin:
Is anybody else going to the Veterinary Science talk at nottingham uni on friday??
Original post by tepeon
We don't get to do that until next year. I think we do general studies too. On the plus side I've been told that further maths looks amazing on application forms :biggrin:

Yeah, I love maths so just thought it would be the best thing to do! We started by doing the mechanics module though D:
Reply 185
Original post by ireallydontknow7
Yeah, I love maths so just thought it would be the best thing to do! We started by doing the mechanics module though D:

We've barely started yet! Were working with alpha and beta roots. You know any good websites for vet stuff then?
Original post by tepeon
We've barely started yet! Were working with alpha and beta roots. You know any good websites for vet stuff then?

Ahh I see! And no I'm not entirely sure, sorry!!
Original post by tepeon

We don't do citizenship so there is room on our timetables for five. :tongue:
Thought I'd try five until the mocks and how I'm doing.
Though I have work experience in the half term before mock week so that will be interesting!
Original post by tepeon

Not sure where you heard this, but it's not true :nah: . Most universities allow any subjects in addition to chemistry (and usually biology), bar critical thinking and general studies, and people who do another science subject are at no advantage over those who do a humanity, language etc. This doesn't apply at Edinburgh, who want physics at least to AS if not studied at GCSE, and the vast majority of successful Cambridge applicants take physics or maths but further maths isn't asked for. For some courses at some establishments, further maths isn't even allowed as your third A2 (I only know this because a friend is applying for (human!) medicine and it said that on a university's website :tongue: I'm sure that its absolutely fine for vet :smile: ).

That's for medical courses lol, for physics-y ones its obviously a very different story :tongue:
Is anybody here doing Vet-medlink? I have heard it isn't that useful, but is it necessary for an application? Is it something universities consider (because it is quite expensive as well!) :s-smilie:
Original post by sarahowl
Is anybody here doing Vet-medlink? I have heard it isn't that useful, but is it necessary for an application? Is it something universities consider (because it is quite expensive as well!) :s-smilie:

Hi, from what I've heard universities don't count work experience that has to be paid for as it would be unfair to candidates that couldn't afford it, therefore it shouldn't enhance your application (though I've heard of people contacting unis about abroad work experience that has had a small influence). I've also heard that vet-medlink isn't great though I've heard good things about another programme called Vet-Sim based at Nottingham uni. I think its similar but its been ages since I've looked into it. I hope that helps :smile:
Original post by sarahowl

It's not really necessary I don't think - I never went to vet medlink but got interviewed everywhere I applied and got an offer for Liverpool. As the previous poster said - unis won't consider this as it is paid. If you are struggling with money, you will probably be better off putting that sort of money towards either revision guides or travel for work experience!
Thank you both, that's cleared things up! :smile:
Hello all :smile:
I'm a hopeful 2016 applicant; currently have 4.5 weeks of w/e under my belt (assuming 8h=one day and five days is a week?) and got 8A* 2A at GCSE. Am doing my AS levels in biology, chemistry, physics, maths, and further maths [all AQA bar biology which is OCR].

I'm from Birmingham and am in turmoil about the lack of available work experience, so any help would be HUGELY valued :smile:

Anyhow, thanks, here I am :tongue:
Original post by Spudmeister
Hello all :smile:
I'm a hopeful 2016 applicant; currently have 4.5 weeks of w/e under my belt (assuming 8h=one day and five days is a week?) and got 8A* 2A at GCSE. Am doing my AS levels in biology, chemistry, physics, maths, and further maths [all AQA bar biology which is OCR].

I'm from Birmingham and am in turmoil about the lack of available work experience, so any help would be HUGELY valued :smile:

Anyhow, thanks, here I am :tongue:

What help do you need? :tongue:
Original post by Angry cucumber
What help do you need? :tongue:

Oh goodness, anything work experience related! I have enquired to roughly 100 practices and was only able to get two days at one, and it is making me horrifically anxious. Also things like large animal (there seem to be almost none in the w midlands? All I have contacted have changed their insurance policies!) practice, and lambing/dairy (Ive no car, really not ideal for such things)..
Oh goodness, anything work experience related! I have enquired to roughly 100 practices and was only able to get two days at one, and it is making me horrifically anxious. Also things like large animal (there seem to be almost none in the w midlands? All I have contacted have changed their insurance policies!) practice, and lambing/dairy (Ive no car, really not ideal for such things)..

Use this to find practices http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/

For dairy and lambing, do you have any family that live more rurally?

Kudos to you for applying to so many places, however it sounds as if you're possibly not doing it in the best way possible. If it's just emails that you're sending out then remember that vets are incredibly busy people and often don't have time to deal with emails. On a similar note it's often difficult to contact the person you need to speak to on the phone as it's unlikely to be the reception staff. A letter is somewhat of a step up in my opinion, but if you don't receive a response then go to the practice (preferably at a time when they're not too busy) and ask to speak to them. Veterinary medicine is super competitive, and that even extends to trying to get placements. Vets also often get frustrated by people who just want to cuddle the animals all of the time (or worse, one nurse that I spoke to said that one of the work experience students literally sat outside all day on his phone???). Prove to them that you're truly interested :smile:

As far as lambing and dairying go, you may have to find somewhere out of the city to stay. I live in London so when I went lambing this year (in Dorset and then in Devon) I stayed on the farm (which was actually super convenient, as I did a few night shifts and got to see several things that the local people missed when they'd gone home). The NSA publishes a list of farms wanting help with lambing every year, which is how I found my placements. Just a word of warning, placements tend to get booked up FAST. I started making calls the day after the document was made public, and the best slots were already taken. Annoyingly there were no school holidays in March this year, but I got my placements booked for Feb half term and Easter which was good :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi all,

So I'm new to the 2016 applicant thread but previously applied to RVC Gateway (interview and withdrawn) 2012 and applied last year with 1 unsuccessful interview at Liverpool.

I am now returning to a job as a veterinary hospital assistant and resitting A-levels, I've opted for 2016 in the hope that I can apply for unconditional places. So far my grades stand at AS: Geography - A, Biology - C, Chemistry - D and at A2 Geography -B, Biology - C and Chemistry-E .. so I've some work to do!

Previously I have worked as a field animal rehomer for 2 years, a dog rehomer for 6 months and a veterinary hospital assistant for 1yr, this is where I am returning to until university.

My work experience stands at:

2.5yrs Cats Protection
2.5yrs RSPCA
2 wks SA practice 1
2 wks SA practice 2
2wks SA practice 3
1 wk Equine Referral Hospital
3 days SA Referral Vets
1wk Stables 1
1wk Stables 2
1 wk Lambing
6mths Exotic Pet Store
2 days Hedgehog Hospital
2yrs Banham Zoo

I've also been in contact with for future placements a dairy farm, LA vets and a crocodile zoo :smile:

Look forward to getting to know you all and good luck!! x
Original post by Pink_tabby_kitten
Hi all,

So I'm new to the 2016 applicant thread but previously applied to RVC Gateway (interview and withdrawn) 2012 and applied last year with 1 unsuccessful interview at Liverpool.

I am now returning to a job as a veterinary hospital assistant and resitting A-levels, I've opted for 2016 in the hope that I can apply for unconditional places. So far my grades stand at AS: Geography - A, Biology - C, Chemistry - D and at A2 Geography -B, Biology - C and Chemistry-E .. so I've some work to do!

Previously I have worked as a field animal rehomer for 2 years, a dog rehomer for 6 months and a veterinary hospital assistant for 1yr, this is where I am returning to until university.

My work experience stands at:

2.5yrs Cats Protection
2.5yrs RSPCA
2 wks SA practice 1
2 wks SA practice 2
2wks SA practice 3
1 wk Equine Referral Hospital
3 days SA Referral Vets
1wk Stables 1
1wk Stables 2
1 wk Lambing
6mths Exotic Pet Store
2 days Hedgehog Hospital
2yrs Banham Zoo

I've also been in contact with for future placements a dairy farm, LA vets and a crocodile zoo :smile:

Look forward to getting to know you all and good luck!! x

Sounds like you have a lot of experience and are quite dedicated to working with animals. Good luck!! Post here if you have any questions - it's a good resource.

--------------------

Anyone going to the Liverpool open day on the 11th Oct? I will be there showing you around Leahurst if you are :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending