The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Just been rejected from Cambridge, so gutted! 12A*s in my GCSEs, 4.9, 6.2 4.5A in my BMAT, 4As at AS and predicted 3A*s at A2, 11 weeks of work experience and I thought my interview went well... Not sure what they want from me :frown:
Original post by Cave Felem
Just been rejected from Cambridge, so gutted! 12A*s in my GCSEs, 4.9, 6.2 4.5A in my BMAT, 4As at AS and predicted 3A*s at A2, 11 weeks of work experience and I thought my interview went well... Not sure what they want from me :frown:

Don't be too disheartened, all vet schools are particularly difficult to get into, and Cambridge are very picky. I got rejected too, and it's awful (especially because it was my top choice) but another opportunity might arise, and it isn't the only vet school!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not very knowledgeable on Cambridge, but what were your UMS in your AS results like? I've heard they're quite picky with regards to picking not just people who got 4 As, but who got close to full UMS.

Sorry to hear about your rejection :frown: That sucks but your application looks strong and another vet school may make you an offer. Remember you only need one :smile:
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I'm not very knowledgeable on Cambridge, but what were your UMS in your AS results like? I've heard they're quite picky with regards to picking not just people who got 4 As, but who got close to full UMS.

Sorry to hear about your rejection :frown: That sucks but your application looks strong and another vet school may make you an offer. Remember you only need one :smile:

Yeah, I went to the Sutton trust summer school there and it was more about the grades and extra reading than wex and stuff, they only required 1 week in a vet surgery!!! They want around 90% ums in your as grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snuvisol
I think 6 months is really good. I had this advantage that my references were really good as my grades were the best grades in the college and I was the first person in many years that applied to Cambridge. And I did good in interview, I guess. :smile:
I didn't have much work experience but that's not really what Cambridge is after. Do your best and then you'll see how it goes. I'm not really sure what are they after, to be honest.

Ahhh okay, thanks! All the best with your exams! :smile:
Original post by Charlotte B
Has anyone applied for the gateway programme at RVC?

I have :smile: applied along with applying to bvet meds, so applied in october, and had an interview on the 21st december
Original post by BethJohnston
I know interviews have been given out for the 2nd March but I'm sure there is another day on the 9th March which I don't think they have given out interviews for yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone with an interview on the 9th, and mine is on the 2nd, and we got invitations around the same time, in November, but I'm sure they will still be giving them out until everybody had heard back.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Fairs :tongue:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/367960026747898/

Quick question, is the Facebook group being mentioned at interviews or something? There used to be only a handful of membership requests every week but over the past few days theres been loads! Just wondering where all the newbies have come from :tongue:

It's going crazy with requests 😂 hello procrastination

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
It's going crazy with requests 😂 hello procrastination

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yet to have a request notification :erm:

Cambridge interviews most of its applicants (or at least those that have the required predictive grades, UMS, etc...). All of those interviewed have very competitive applications but then they only give offers to the nth first ranked the highest. Unlike other vet schools they don't give many more offers than they have places because most students with a Cambridge offer will get the grades and accept the place (this is of course not true of everyone especially for vet med but is still generally the case). So you could have great grades and have done well at interview but if 10 others (or however many your chosen college gives offers to) did better you unfortunately wouldn't be offered a place.
What I'm trying to say is that you didn't necessarily do anything wrong there are just a lot of strong applicants and the fact that they don't over offer makes it even harder.
Good luck with the rest of your applications.
I still havent heard back from bristol. should i be worried?
Original post by Angry cucumber

You need to me more on the ball 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber

Team Lizzie is on it 💪 💪 💪
Original post by roxanepfund
I still havent heard back from bristol. should i be worried?

I haven't heard anything either... :s The only one I haven't heard from yet...
Original post by Squirrel246
I haven't heard anything either... :s The only one I haven't heard from yet...

same here i feel like its been a long time! :/
This may have already been asked, but, do Bristol automatically apply their contextual grades if you get an offer? Or is that something they don't look at until results day?
Original post by Scitty
This may have already been asked, but, do Bristol automatically apply their contextual grades if you get an offer? Or is that something they don't look at until results day?

Yeah, it's applied automatically. A contextual offer would show up on UCAS as AAB.
Original post by Weresheeps
Hi all, 1 interview down and 2 to go. I was wondering if the numbers I heard at the RVC (~400 interviewees and 300 offers) were true, and if anyone else has heard from Surrey yet. They told me to check my portal a month ago and haven't put anything through it yet. Plus, I can't seem to get on their website - anyone else having this problem?

Heya, I interviewed with Surrey in early Jan and received my offer last week. From the interview day they said they're interviewing up until February (Late feb) and offers will be made gradually up until 31st March but most will be later rather than sooner. Don't panic! And Good luck!
Original post by Beanie_
Heya, I interviewed with Surrey in early Jan and received my offer last week. From the interview day they said they're interviewing up until February (Late feb) and offers will be made gradually up until 31st March but most will be later rather than sooner. Don't panic! And Good luck!

Are you undergrad? :smile:
Surrey asked to upload some references that were on headed paper but (perhaps stupidly) the one i chose to upload (as it was from my longest placement) only had the stamp of the vet practice and no heading - do you think this matters as it still shows its from the practice?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending