The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Hi guys,

As a rule I generally hate these kind of threads because it makes me feel terribly inadequate in terms of the amount of work experience I already have :frown: Stupidly I was too busy revising for my GCSEs to organise any work experience for the summer in advance (suppose it was worth it in the end...) but I did managed to make a few contacts last minute.

So far I have:

2 weeks SA (Year 10 wex, self-arranged)

Saturday mornings (for last 4 months) volunteering at stables (generally because I had no experience whatsoever with horses - not a crazy horse child like some)

3 days at different SA and 1 day a week after college then on (since September)

Arranged 7 days at rescue cattery for October half term

Arranged 1 week at equine hospital for August

I'm desperately trying to find SOME farm work for next year at the moment, but am quite limited due to the area I live in - got a few (well, three) farmers to ring tomorrow. Also planning to apply for some lab work shortly for next summer.

...what are my prospects looking like?
Original post by iz24
Hi guys,

As a rule I generally hate these kind of threads because it makes me feel terribly inadequate in terms of the amount of work experience I already have :frown: Stupidly I was too busy revising for my GCSEs to organise any work experience for the summer in advance (suppose it was worth it in the end...) but I did managed to make a few contacts last minute.

So far I have:

2 weeks SA (Year 10 wex, self-arranged)

Saturday mornings (for last 4 months) volunteering at stables (generally because I had no experience whatsoever with horses - not a crazy horse child like some)

3 days at different SA and 1 day a week after college then on (since September)

Arranged 7 days at rescue cattery for October half term

Arranged 1 week at equine hospital for August

I'm desperately trying to find SOME farm work for next year at the moment, but am quite limited due to the area I live in - got a few (well, three) farmers to ring tomorrow. Also planning to apply for some lab work shortly for next summer.

Honestly from what I can tell, as long as you fulfil the requirements (where are you thinking of putting as first choice?) for wex, the rest is down to getting the grades and making a kickass personal statement. You're not doing badly, I've got:

9 months working at a stables at least once a week and all holidays (lol)

4 days' total of irregular helping out + lambing/calving next year at a local sheep and cow farm

arranged 2 weeks at 2 small animal vets for 2015

aaaand that's it. It's hard to find time for these things while making sure you have time to revise and sleep ahhh! I'm looking to work at a cattery in 2015 but nothing's set in stone, also I want to work at the local wildlife hospital. Somehow I have to break to the person at the stables that I reaaally need to leave to get space for more things, yikes.
Original post by iz24

You have rightly pointed out that you lack farm work and also farm/equine/large vets too and it is advisable that you get some in before you apply if possible. Yes it is a juggle to balance work and placements but the reality is that it doesn't become any easier at vet school I'm afraid and is a good skill for you to be developing now :wink:

You are going to have to look further afield for these sorts of placements - when I HAD to arrange lambing during Easter of my first year of uni I literally rang 40 sheep farmers as I was struggling to find any near me lambing at that time. In the end I found one who offered me a place to stay for free and all I had to do was rock up at the local train station where they picked me up and dropped me off to - might be worth looking to see if anywhere offers paid/free on site accommodation. Before vet school I also used family contacts to get to different parts of the country in order to fulfil certain placements. I know others have booked B&Bs/camping to get to placements so I am afraid you don't have an excuse when it comes to not booking certain types of placement.

Good luck!
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I know others have booked B&Bs/camping to get to placements

Sorry, bit off an off-topic question if you don't mind. I've seen you mention camping as a viable option for accommodation several times, but how did that actually work? I had to give up a LA vet placement over summer as I simply couldn't afford the accommodation that was available, and that now means that I'm applying without any LA vet work (fabbo...). I had considered camping, but didn't really think the logistics of it would work out. I obviously wouldn't leave my tent and belongings unattended at the campsite for the whole day. Did the people you know take their tent down every morning and carry it to work with them or what?
I know a few people who've camped, they took anything expensive with them and left the tent or had a tiny fold up tent that fitted on panniers of a bicycle

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 225
you lack farm work and also farm/equine/large vets too

Would you say that one week at an equine vet isn't enough then?

Just managed to talk to a sheep farmer who took my number and said he would contact me when lambing time comes, and in the process of getting the contact details (off a friend) for another... Both farms within 3 or so miles of me. Given that before looking I had no idea there were sheep anywhere near me, it's not bad I suppose?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Sorry, bit off an off-topic question if you don't mind. I've seen you mention camping as a viable option for accommodation several times, but how did that actually work? I had to give up a LA vet placement over summer as I simply couldn't afford the accommodation that was available, and that now means that I'm applying without any LA vet work (fabbo...). I had considered camping, but didn't really think the logistics of it would work out. I obviously wouldn't leave my tent and belongings unattended at the campsite for the whole day. Did the people you know take their tent down every morning and carry it to work with them or what?

I've not been camping myself in order to get placements, but my housemate has as she really wanted to do a placement but B&B was not an option. You can get cheap tents + sleeping bag from halfords if you don't have your own camping equipment. I doubt anyone would steal a tent (I have certainly left mine unattended during the day when I have gone camping, unless you have some sort of expensive fancy one??). The most valuable item I take to placements is a mobile, which I carry with me, I don't think it would bother me if someone stole some smelly farm clothes! (who would anyway?).

As for funding things - I can sympathise that it can be difficult. I had to work during sixth form in the evenings in order to make ends meet.

Original post by iz24
Would you say that one week at an equine vet isn't enough then?

Just managed to talk to a sheep farmer who took my number and said he would contact me when lambing time comes, and in the process of getting the contact details (off a friend) for another... Both farms within 3 or so miles of me. Given that before looking I had no idea there were sheep anywhere near me, it's not bad I suppose?

One week is probably fine, so long as you can get some farm stuff, but I was just suggesting that you have a lot of SA stuff but less LA vet stuff - certainly a farm vets would be good if you can get this :wink: .
Hey everyone,

I just updated the OP with a link to Veterinary Medicine connect/stalking page - if you haven't already go connect to see other applicants' grades & offers. Also, if you enter your details it will be really really useful for everyone else making their applications this year.

:woo:
Reply 228
Hi, would anyone happen to know any farms around west Yorkshire/Lancashire/ Dumfries and Galloway that take on people wanting work experience. Additionally would anyone know any farms at the aforementioned locations wanting helpers for lambing and/calving? Thanks :smile:
Original post by cmw123
Hi, would anyone happen to know any farms around west Yorkshire/Lancashire/ Dumfries and Galloway that take on people wanting work experience. Additionally would anyone know any farms at the aforementioned locations wanting helpers for lambing and/calving? Thanks :smile:

This thread might be useful for you :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=441897
Reply 230
Thanks, I shall check it out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, does anyone know what open day ettiquette is like? Are you supposed to go to all of the open days for places you want to apply to? Or do you only go to ones that you're close to?
Original post by suirrel
Hey guys, does anyone know what open day ettiquette is like? Are you supposed to go to all of the open days for places you want to apply to? Or do you only go to ones that you're close to?

There's no 'etiquette', so to speak :tongue: . You can do what you want. It's recommended that you go to all of the places that you want to apply to but logistically that isn't possible for everyone. I'd definitely suggest going further afield than the ones nearest you, especially considering that vet schools are dispersed so far across the UK. Personally, I live in London and I ended up seeing Bristol and Edinburgh. I would have liked to have gone to Nottingham and Liverpool but train tickets = £££. The RVC have their open day at a stupid time mid exam season but if you're close to there then they run events throughout the year that you can go to instead.
Original post by suirrel

Going to open days let me get a feel for different places and to be honest it changed the places I put down on my UCAS form. If you're going to be somewhere for 5 years you might as well see that you like the place in my opinion. It also gives you a better idea of the course, and is a good chance to ask students about the uni and their experiences of applying. If, at interview, you are asked why you want to apply to them, then an open day might maybe highlight important aspects which you can talk about. Of course you may need to choose wisely and it's unlikely you will visit all of them, but I would recommend doing at least some.

Also, during interview, some unis will give you a tour of the place (RVC used to, not sure if they do now?) but others definitely don't.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
There's no 'etiquette', so to speak :tongue: . You can do what you want. It's recommended that you go to all of the places that you want to apply to but logistically that isn't possible for everyone. I'd definitely suggest going further afield than the ones nearest you, especially considering that vet schools are dispersed so far across the UK. Personally, I live in London and I ended up seeing Bristol and Edinburgh. I would have liked to have gone to Nottingham and Liverpool but train tickets = £££. The RVC have their open day at a stupid time mid exam season but if you're close to there then they run events throughout the year that you can go to instead.

I live in the East Midlands, they're all reaaally far away except for the RVC and Nottingham, lmao. I feel like I want to go to all of them! Well, I probably won't go to Nottingham's because I'm going on their Widening Access course so I can see what's what while I'm doing that.

Thanks though!! And I totally understand about train tickets, blehh my train line sucks so much because I have to change 2 or 3 times to go anywhere other than London. Yaaay commuter-centric train companies.

Going to open days let me get a feel for different places and to be honest it changed the places I put down on my UCAS form. If you're going to be somewhere for 5 years you might as well see that you like the place in my opinion. It also gives you a better idea of the course, and is a good chance to ask students about the uni and their experiences of applying. If, at interview, you are asked why you want to apply to them, then an open day might maybe highlight important aspects which you can talk about. Of course you may need to choose wisely and it's unlikely you will visit all of them, but I would recommend doing at least some.

Also, during interview, some unis will give you a tour of the place (RVC used to, not sure if they do now?) but others definitely don't.

Oooh where were you thinking of applying before and where did you put down on your UCAS? I was thinking of putting down Liverpool, Bristol, RVC, and then I don't know which of Edingbugh, and Nottingham. I was thinking of going to Glasgow but their entry requirements are soooo high! I'm not sure I could get an A* and they don't let you have an art subject as your 3rd A2.
Original post by suirrel
I live in the East Midlands, they're all reaaally far away except for the RVC and Nottingham, lmao. I feel like I want to go to all of them! Well, I probably won't go to Nottingham's because I'm going on their Widening Access course so I can see what's what while I'm doing that.

Thanks though!! And I totally understand about train tickets, blehh my train line sucks so much because I have to change 2 or 3 times to go anywhere other than London. Yaaay commuter-centric train companies.

Oooh where were you thinking of applying before and where did you put down on your UCAS? I was thinking of putting down Liverpool, Bristol, RVC, and then I don't know which of Edingbugh, and Nottingham. I was thinking of going to Glasgow but their entry requirements are soooo high! I'm not sure I could get an A* and they don't let you have an art subject as your 3rd A2.

I wanted to apply to RVC, Cambridge, Bristol and Notts but ended up applying to Liverpool, RVC, Cam and Notts in the end. I just didn't feel like I wanted to spend 5 years in Bristol despite it being quite close to home. I originally didn't want to go to Liverpool as it's the furthest English vet school from one from home (Scotland was waaay to far for me), but I really liked them on my open day and I was told that with my work experience I would be almost guaranteed an interview.... not looked back since! :smile:

A lot of it is down to personal preference to be honest. I am happy to answer questions about Liverpool although I am on the old syllabus so can't comment much not the course other that you will be learning clinical skills from day one.
I wanted to apply to RVC, Cambridge, Bristol and Notts but ended up applying to Liverpool, RVC, Cam and Notts in the end. I just didn't feel like I wanted to spend 5 years in Bristol despite it being quite close to home. I originally didn't want to go to Liverpool as it's the furthest English vet school from one from home (Scotland was waaay to far for me), but I really liked them on my open day and I was told that with my work experience I would be almost guaranteed an interview.... not looked back since! :smile:

A lot of it is down to personal preference to be honest. I am happy to answer questions about Liverpool although I am on the old syllabus so can't comment much not the course other that you will be learning clinical skills from day one.

Wow, a huge thing that makes me want to apply to Liverpool was the work expereience requirements. I like the idea that everyone who goes there has had a lot of experience handling animals, but other places they might have only had 2 or 3 weeks total.

Why didn't you like Bristol? I've read good things about the city, is the campus not so good?
Original post by suirrel
Wow, a huge thing that makes me want to apply to Liverpool was the work expereience requirements. I like the idea that everyone who goes there has had a lot of experience handling animals, but other places they might have only had 2 or 3 weeks total.

Why didn't you like Bristol? I've read good things about the city, is the campus not so good?

Whilst others don't require as much you will find that, realistically, most people DO have more than 2 or 3 week total. I think it's important to apply not only where you would like to do but also to your strengths too as each uni has a different idea of what an 'ideal' candidate is.

I just didn't feel Bristol was the right place for me and at the time word was going round that some of their farms were going to be shutting down but I don't this happened in the end. I've not been drawn the the city of Bristol either. It's mostly just personal preference. I think they have a very good EMS system at Bristol which I am a bit jealous of though and I am sure people there are happy!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey guys, it's dead quiet in here! How you all doing? :smile:

I just thought I'd advertise this online course that's run by Edinburgh university. It's supposed to be a 'taster' of what you'll study in the vet med degree, but they have the programme on the page if you're interested. Link is here if you wanna look :h: https://www.coursera.org/course/edivet . It's all free and everything's online, you just need to make an account.
I was ecstatic last week when I found a new vet online that was very close to where I live, so I emailed them about work experience and they said their practice was just a vaccination clinic... Their main practice is 20 miles away! I was so close to getting another placement. So close.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending