The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hilaryplz
I just received a notification from UCAS saying that my application was unsuccessful but doesn't say why. Will I get an official letter from the university or do I have to send an email to them for feedback?

You need to contact the university individually for feedback. What university was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you was a successful applicant can u still get feedback?
Original post by LOZZY_107

No due to a great demand for those who need feedback to better their application and reapply they need to give them priority so you wouldn't get feedback for a successful application, nor should you need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Calli1262
Has anyone on the Bristol waiting list heard anything yet?

No, I just wish they would give me a final decision! Ah it's so frustrating! Has anyone else?

Nope, there's thousands of applicants each year, and it's fairer for those who have been unsuccessful to get feedback. If you got a place you don't need feedback because you've obviously done really well to be offered a place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey is there anyone at surrey who got AAB but was offered AAA and still got in?
Hey guys still trying to make my decision does it matter what uni you go to in terms of employment as a vet? Will it be easier for me to get a job if I go to Cambridge? ...
Reply 3167
Original post by Pepper12345
Hey guys still trying to make my decision does it matter what uni you go to in terms of employment as a vet? Will it be easier for me to get a job if I go to Cambridge? ...

If anything it's the opposite unfortunately... 😂
Like anything else, It will entirely depend on your cv, your previous experiences and your performance, personality and attitude in interview.
There is no overall bias to any graduate from any one particular institution as each UK vet school is very, very good.
There was this Cambridge graduate joke going around a few years ago.

Spoiler

Cambridge is not bad, it's just different.
More focused on theory and they also make everyone intercalate.
I'm considering it myself, but I want to get into academia as well as practice.
Not sure I would consider it otherwise.
I got a Nottingham offer!!! :dance::dance::dance:
Reply 3170
Original post by chuckbeansy
I got a Nottingham offer!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Omg same! So excited, congrats!
Reply 3171
I got an offer for the Vet Med course (D100) from both Nottingham and the RVC and I really don't know which way I should go. I did like both of them very much and the offers are fairly similar so if anyone could give me some advice it would be great. I assume both of them are of equal teaching standards.. I am more interested in the equine side of veterinary medicine if that is in any way relevant and would love to bring my horse with me at uni. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by AnaNc
I got an offer for the Vet Med course (D100) from both Nottingham and the RVC and I really don't know which way I should go. I did like both of them very much and the offers are fairly similar so if anyone could give me some advice it would be great. I assume both of them are of equal teaching standards.. I am more interested in the equine side of veterinary medicine if that is in any way relevant and would love to bring my horse with me at uni. Thanks! :smile:

Nottingham have stables on campus that students can use and house their horse in, if that's of any help :smile:
Has anybody on the RVC waiting list heard anything? The waiting is killing me!
Original post by Tamiraa
Has anybody on the RVC waiting list heard anything? The waiting is killing me!

I received an offer a couple of weeks ago after being on the RVC holding list
I received an offer a couple of weeks ago after being on the RVC holding list
ah congratulations!!! Hopefully I'll hear something soon then.
Original post by Tamiraa
ah congratulations!!! Hopefully I'll hear something soon then.

Fingers crossed 🙏
Reply 3177
Im still waiting to hear back from RVC too. Has anyone been offered a place for the 4 year or 5 year courses yet? I've only heard of people getting rejected. And so far the only people who've been given offers seem to have been for the gateway course..?
Original post by AnaNc

I was in the exact same position last year :biggrin: the main thing that swayed me towards Nottingham was the cost of living in London, plus I didn't want to go to a uni that was mainly just vet students.
Although I have nothing against RVC, I just felt like Nottingham was a better fit for me and I preferred how the course was taught here; I'm not very practical so I thought if I learned clinical skills and animal handling right from the beginning that that would make me a more practical vet. The course also seemed more integrated, as your modules are divided into body systems with some clinical relevance from the start, whereas at RVC I believe you do two years theory/underpinning science and then the more practical stuff is introduced later.
Another big factor was transport- it's only a two and a half hour drive to Nottingham from where I live and I've been able to bring my car, whereas at RVC I would have to get the train which would cost around £100 each time unless I booked it way in advance, so I couldn't just go home when I felt like it
Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by AnaNc

Hi there :smile: I'm a second year at the RVC. Just to clear anything up the RVC teaching is in 'strands' or body systems which sounds similar to Nottingham which you revisit. You have regular animal handling and practicals. There is clinical aspects linked in through all the strands especially in second year which is more endocrine and parasitology based. At hawkshead the RVC has a very large equine hospital although I haven't spent much time there yet as the first two years are in camden and the last 3 years at Hawkshead. In terms of living the first two years are expensive however out at Hawkshead it is more affordable and I know of people in 2nd year who have commuted in from hawkshead and have found it manageable :smile:. In terms of stables I would imagine there are stables out in Hawkshead, however affordable stables in Camden may not be as likely. Although I haven't spent much time at the Hawkshead campus yet the day visits out there for the farm stuff and large animal dissections have been great :smile:. I have been really enjoying it so far, planning to intercalate next year just because its been a really lovely environment to study :smile:. Hope that helps and if you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending