The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by skatealexia
Postcode: S72 0DB

Oh thanks that sounds far better, I thought I'd gotten confused when I couldn't find it in Yorkshire oops. Would you be able to pass on a few details? Although it would still be a long ish commute it's certainly the best so far, thank you :biggrin:

Original post by Moonlight*
If you're looking for something to read I would recommend magazines like Farmers Weekly and New Scientist, they will be good for keeping up to date with topical issues which will really help at interview. Vet record and Veterinary times are good and quite easy to read if you can get hold of them. The DEFRA website is also really good if you want to look up specific diseases and also for topical issues,
I wouldn't bother with veterinary textbooks, unless you desperately want to, as they are really expensive and they get updated all the time so by the time you get to vet school you might find you need a more recent edition. At interviews they wont expect you to have vast amounts of veterinary knowledge so just make sure you know the basics and understand the basic management of farm animals and horses etc.
Hope that helps x

That's really brilliant thanks! :smile: I've read a few issues of new scientist (it's just a shame it's a bit pricey to get it weekly) and I'll definitely take a look at the others as I'm sure the knowledge will be useful and interesting. :biggrin:

Original post by Random20
How much work experience have you all already done? :smile:

At the moment I've done:
1 year + saturdays and bits of holidays at a council run/public farm
5 days at one small animal vets and 9 days at another
and 1 morning shadowing at a animal labratory (specifically rodents)
I'm not sure really how that shapes up against what people usually have at this point or whether I'm pacing myself correctly? Any guidance would be nice (although I'm sure you're all sick of me by now anyway :wink:) I've also got 5 days dairy farm and 5 days aquarium planned for over the summer holidays and possibly a large animal vet for 5 days as well. I hope that helps :tongue:
Reply 61
:biggrin::smile::biggrin:At the moment I've done:
1 year + saturdays and bits of holidays at a council run/public farm
5 days at one small animal vets and 9 days at another
and 1 morning shadowing at a animal labratory (specifically rodents)
I'm not sure really how that shapes up against what people usually have at this point or whether I'm pacing myself correctly? Any guidance would be nice (although I'm sure you're all sick of me by now anyway :wink:) I've also got 5 days dairy farm and 5 days aquarium planned for over the summer holidays and possibly a large animal vet for 5 days as well. I hope that helps :tongue:

Wow! I have always been interested in being a vet but I dismissed the idea for a while because I thought it was too competitive and I wasn't clever enough. But my teacher and sixth form interviewer have told me I would be easily capable. So I haven't actually done any work experience and hopefully my summer holiday is going to be when I start. I am going to go to my local vet, kennels and farm and my brother works at a zoo so I should be able to go there
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Random20
Wow! I have always been interested in being a vet but I dismissed the idea for a while because I thought it was too competitive and I wasn't clever enough. But my teacher and sixth form interviewer have told me I would be easily capable. So I haven't actually done any work experience and hopefully my summer holiday is going to be when I start. I am going to go to my local vet, kennels and farm and my brother works at a zoo so I should be able to go there

Thanks, that sounds great (from what I know). I just think I was lucky I realised I wanted to be a vet when I was 14. Working at a zoo sounds amazing, good luck with your experience and if you need any advice feel free to ask, I'll do my best to help :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)
Guidance on work experience.

5 weeks vets + (two different ones, ideally small and large animal e.g. horses/farm).
1 week (ideally 2) stables.
1 week dairy farm.
1 week lambing.
1 week cattery/kennels/dogs trust/rspca etc.
1 week 'other' farm (not essential, especially if more of other 'core species.'). Other farm ideas- poultry, pigs, goats, alpacas.
Other- vet lab, abattoir. Aim for six weeks (ideally more) of non vet work experience.

Long term placements are useful, I think especially longer term vet placements.
Original post by skatealexia
I have a lot in west yorkshire if you need any.

Hi, what places do you know? I live in West Yorkshire so would be great if you could tell me! Thanks! :smile::smile:
Original post by animallover1998
Hi, what places do you know? I live in West Yorkshire so would be great if you could tell me! Thanks! :smile::smile:

PM me, depends what you want :smile: x
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could tell me whether the required work experience is measured in 5 day "working weeks" or in full 7 day weeks? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Little Highland
Hi, I just wondered if anyone could tell me whether the required work experience is measured in 5 day "working weeks" or in full 7 day weeks? Thanks :smile:

Working week :smile: 5 days/40 hours.
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Working week :smile: 5 days/40 hours.

Thank you for the speedy reply :wink: I'd thought it would be that but I wasn't 100% sure, thanks :smile:
How much do people have already? :smile:
Reply 70
What are good subjects to take for AS/A2 level? Other than chemistry and biology? Would maths and physics be preferable, or could you take something like history as well as maths or physics? :confused: :smile:
Original post by dolphin16
What are good subjects to take for AS/A2 level? Other than chemistry and biology? Would maths and physics be preferable, or could you take something like history as well as maths or physics? :confused: :smile:

Chemistry and Biology are a must, then I personally picked Maths and History. For the sake of sanity I'd pick one of Maths or Physics and then pick something you enjoy :smile:
Reply 72
I feel so old, I remember when the 2012 thread was made :shakecane: Anyway I'm Rebecca and after 3 applications I've gotten into liverpool so if you need any help or advice or anything feel free to ask :biggrin:
Original post by beccac94
I feel so old, I remember when the 2012 thread was made :shakecane: Anyway I'm Rebecca and after 3 applications I've gotten into liverpool so if you need any help or advice or anything feel free to ask :biggrin:

:shakecane:

I remember the 2012 thread as well :tongue: I feel old :redface:

I go to Notts if I haven't already said in this thread... I can't remember :tongue: Feel free to PM or quote me :smile:
Reply 74
Original post by Angry cucumber
Chemistry and Biology are a must, then I personally picked Maths and History. For the sake of sanity I'd pick one of Maths or Physics and then pick something you enjoy :smile:

Okay thanks, that would be history then!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 75
Original post by beccac94

Im rebecca too!! Liverpool is definitely one of the unis id look into going too, as well as notts.... im only year 10 so have a while to go still :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kinda repeating what Cucumber said, but:

All vet schools require chemistry and biology.
Only Cambridge and I think one other vet school which I can't remember off the top of my head ask for maths or physics in addition.
Provided that you meet these requirements, no combination of subjects is preferred to any other. Doing bio, chem, phys & maths would not put you in a stronger position to anyone doing bio, chem, maths/phys and another subject.

As someone who takes three sciences and maths (in year 12 currently), I wouldn't really recommend it and if I could choose again I would have perhaps done geography or philosophy in place of maths. The benefits of my course are that there are no essays (so easier exams, in my opinion), plus every question that can be asked is already in past papers so when it comes to it revision will be fairly easy. I also get relatively little homework compared to my friends who do history, philosophy, psychology, economics etc. However, I also feel that my writing skills may have suffered a bit, and wish I had kept at least one essay subject in order to remain a well-rounded person. Maths is a lot more difficult than I anticipated, and I will definitely be dropping it and the end of this year.

As no subject combinations within the requirements offer an advantage over others, I'd recommend doing biology, chemistry and two subjects that you find easiest and think you will enjoy the most :smile:

If you have any more queries about A-Level options or any of the subjects I do feel free to drop me a PM :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Kinda repeating what Cucumber said, but:

All vet schools require chemistry and biology.
Only Cambridge and I think one other vet school which I can't remember off the top of my head ask for maths or physics in addition.
Provided that you meet these requirements, no combination of subjects is preferred to any other. Doing bio, chem, phys & maths would not put you in a stronger position to anyone doing bio, chem, maths/phys and another subject.

As someone who takes three sciences and maths (in year 12 currently), I wouldn't really recommend it and if I could choose again I would have perhaps done geography or philosophy in place of maths. The benefits of my course are that there are no essays (so easier exams, in my opinion), plus every question that can be asked is already in past papers so when it comes to it revision will be fairly easy. I also get relatively little homework compared to my friends who do history, philosophy, psychology, economics etc. However, I also feel that my writing skills may have suffered a bit, and wish I had kept at least one essay subject in order to remain a well-rounded person. Maths is a lot more difficult than I anticipated, and I will definitely be dropping it and the end of this year.

As no subject combinations within the requirements offer an advantage over others, I'd recommend doing biology, chemistry and two subjects that you find easiest and think you will enjoy the most :smile:

If you have any more queries about A-Level options or any of the subjects I do feel free to drop me a PM :smile:

Thanks for all the info, its really helpful! I know historys a lot of writing but i enjoy it.... just wondering, do many people take 5 as subjects, but then drop 1 or 2 to end up with 3a2s???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 78
Im rebecca too!! Liverpool is definitely one of the unis id look into going too, as well as notts.... im only year 10 so have a while to go still :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never too early to look at unis I think :biggrin:
Thanks for all the info, its really helpful! I know historys a lot of writing but i enjoy it.... just wondering, do many people take 5 as subjects, but then drop 1 or 2 to end up with 3a2s???

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can do :smile: Most people that I know of who do 5 AS subjects are only planning on dropping one, but you could definitely drop two if you wanted to. Try not to underestimate the workload, though. At my school only four people still do five AS subjects, and a lot of them (I can think of about ten off the top of my head) only do three AS because four was too much for them. At my school you can only do five if you take further maths, but several of my friends at another school started with five and dropped back down to four within about two weeks. I don't think there is any benefit in doing five, but if you want to then go for it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending