The Student Room Group

Veterinary Medicine 2016!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kath_morris
I haven't had an interview offer or rejection 😕

They haven't rejected anyone yet as far as I know who have met their academic requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lizziefickling
They haven't rejected anyone yet as far as I know who have met their academic requirements

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does that mean I could still get an interview offer from them? 😰

I phoned Liverpool today to ask the same thing but they said it's unlikely that I would be given an offer since they have given out all their interview dates and they will probably be giving feedback on my application sometime soon
Has anyone else got an interview for Liverpool tomorrow? :smile:
Does anyone know if surrey have given all of their invites out yet?

Unlikely if they have given out all their interview offers. Interviews finish on the 16th

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Laurenvet21

Enjoy, and good luck. What time is your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebsc
Anyone else got an interview at RVC on the 14th of December?

I do, 1:30 :smile:
Original post by Laurenvet21

Yes! 11:30!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kezza1234
Does anyone know if surrey have given all of their invites out yet?

Have they given out any invites yet? Ive not heard from Brisol or Surrey yet and no-one on the student room (at least no undergrads) that I have seen posting have heard from Surrey.

Does anyone know roughly the ratio of interviews to offers for RVC?
Have an interview for Bristol on 20th January! :biggrin: Bit awkward midweek though haha
What do current RVC students think of RVC? Whats the accomodation, teaching, social life, etc like?
Original post by Scitty
Have an interview for Bristol on 20th January! :biggrin: Bit awkward midweek though haha

Congratulations! When did you receive the interview email? 😊🎉
Congratulations! When did you receive the interview email? 😊🎉

Thank you! 9AM this morning, but only saw it just now as was at the vets with my dog >< couldn't register fast enough haha
Original post by LucyLynch

I've also got my interview tomorrow at 11:30!
Original post by Scitty
Thank you! 9AM this morning, but only saw it just now as was at the vets with my dog >< couldn't register fast enough haha

That's so good! Congratulations, bet your over the moon xx
That's so good! Congratulations, bet your over the moon xx

Very pleased! But also quite nervous :colondollar: genuinely wasn't expecting to get this far ahaha
Original post by emilini3
I got an RVC interview invitation last Friday, mine's on the 14th December in the morning (I think i'm one of the first ones :frown: ) And just today I got an interview invitation from Edinburgh, although that is in Feb. Has anyone else got one?

Yeah, I got mine yesterday for Edinburgh, so pleased, mine is in Feb as well, what day?
Original post by animallover1998
What do current RVC students think of RVC? Whats the accomodation, teaching, social life, etc like?

I'm a first year BVetMed at the RVC.

I love it love it love it love it :biggrin:

Accommodation
Accommodation is admittedly a bit of a mixed bag. The lucky ones (read: mostly internationals, which is fair enough) get College Grove which is both the cheapest and most convenient, being right next to college. Some people aren't keen on being so close as they feel they never leave, but personally I wouldn't mind being able to roll out of bed ten minutes before lectures start :tongue: .

Most people get a space at Mary Branker, which is about a 15-20 min walk away and is in a really convenient location for... well, everything really. It's off a high street so you really don't have to go far for groceries/the bank etc. It's only RVC students that live there, so it has quite a friendly atmosphere :smile:

The other accommodation is Emily Bowes, which is probably the worst one just based on location. It's a lovely place to live; the rooms are cozy (and I want to say bigger than Mary B, the beds are definitely bigger), but it's in Tottenham Hale which means getting a train or two to uni each day (I go the cheapest way and spend around £65/month on transport). Emmy B has people from a mix of different universities though, which might appeal if you need a break from the vet life once in a while! Tottenham Hale itself is great. I know Tottenham has a bit of a bad rep but I don't feel unsafe there at all. There's security on site at all times anyway, but I still really don't feel like it's a bad area. It's definitely nicer than the part of London I came from :tongue: The accommodation is right next to a retail park which has Wilko, Lidl, Asda etc, so that's handy. There's also a high street with all the banks on a 10 minute walk away, and a shopping mall in Walthamstow (2 stops on the Victoria line). What I really like as well is the marshes next to Emmy B. There's a nature reserve/park type place with a canal which is a nice place to go for walks (in the daytime, I learnt that lesson the hard way not to put you off or anything :lol: ). There's also a gym and a Tesco just below Emily Bowes, so despite being a little bit further out and not being literally on the high street like Mary B, you still have everything you need :smile:

All of the rooms in all of the places I've mentioned are ensuite, which is nice, and they're also self catered, which is what I wanted. Some people live in intercollegiate halls which are catered, but I'm afraid I don't know much about them. Accommodation is assigned based on your distance from the uni, so if you live far away right now you have a better chance of getting the place that you want than if you currently live in London.

Finally there's the option of commuting, which a few of my friends do. RVC is in a fab location to commute, being serviced by Mornington Crescent, Camden Town, Euston and Kings Cross/St Pancras stations. I've heard on the grapevine that someone commutes from as far away as Brighton!

Teaching
The teaching is great, you get taught by experts in their field. Teaching is based on 'strands' (locomotor, embryology, neurology, cardiovascular, reproduction etc), which last roughly a week each. They're revisited each year in slightly more detail, so you're always revising and never just taught something and expected to remember it out of the blue years later.

As far as teaching methods go, there's real variety. Obviously we have lectures (and a major selling point is Echo 360, all of our lectures are recorded and put online, audio and video, so you can watch them back whenever you want.... or not go in at all and watch from at home :ninja: ). I'd say we generally have around six-ish lectures a week, all an hour long.

We also have directed learning sessions, where we're in tutor groups and carry out tasks such as looking at slides and answering questions. These usually build on lectures that we have had that week, and during the sessions the professors are there for us to talk to/ask questions, so they're a little more involved than lectures.

We get 'point to point' sessions as well which are more hands on. These involve several stations which we rotate around so get to grips more with anatomy. We get a worksheet with questions to answer, but again there's loads of staff around and they talk us through things in as much detail as we want :biggrin: You don't have to stick exactly to the sheet, asking questions is encouraged :smile: These sessions are super hands on and we get to handle different parts of anatomy (either fresh, preserved or plastinated) to learn about the structure and function of each part. There's loads of diagrams put out to help We also get to look at radiographs, use the ultrasound machine etc etc, it's very varied :smile:

In Integrated Structure and Function sessions (and yes we use acronyms for all of these :tongue: ), we get to handle live animals (we have cows, ponies and dogs at Camden). Usually this is palpating them/using a stethoscope or whatever, but our instructors will also talk us through things. You can book out the animals any time if you want to practice finding bony landmarks or something :smile:

Some people assume that being in London we don't get much practical work but that isn't true at all :nah: For one week in the year you'll have the opportunity to look after the teaching animals in the morning, and as I say they're always available if you want to book them out. There's the BSU where they have rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, mice and rats and we get to handle them/learn about their husbandry.

Outside of timetabled classes, the societies put in loads of talks every week by very eminent people in their field :biggrin: The Zoological Society and Farm Animal Clinical Club in particular have loads of talks so the subs are well worth it in my opinion. We also have anatomy club (the highlight of my week ngl :colone: :colone: :colone: :colone: ) where we get to do dissections (on animals donated by wildlife hospitals, I should add. Nothing is ever euthanised just for us, they all had health problems, which is very sad, but nonetheless interesting when you have a look inside). This is super duper helpful as we essentially get free rein to dissect whichever part we want to look at, in contrast to taught classes where you'll usually be looking at a specific area.

Social life:
It's London. Where do you expect to find a better social life :wink: There's something for everyone, be it sports related, vet related, or something else. We have loads of sports clubs, off the top of my head theres rowing, running, rugby, hockey, football, netball, horse riding, ice skating, mountaineering, polo... and if there's anything that we don't have, the RVC is a part of the University of London collegiate so we are more than welcome to join their clubs. At Student Central (essentially the HQ for UoL, UoL Freshers' Fayre is held there) there is a pool and everything, but RVC's Hawkshead campus has sports pitches too. Most of the sports clubs have socials almost every week which can be anything from trips to curry houses, clubbing, bar crawls and pyjama parties in the Haxby (RVC's pub) :tongue: . Not all of the socials involve drinking since sometimes the teams have drinking bans before events, so if you don't drink that's totally cool too, there's plenty going in if you're not into that. It's so easy to have a look on TimeOut London or something to see what's occurin' :biggrin: . London really is an amazing place to be a student. There's often lectures going on at various universities (on a variety of topics, not necessarily vetty ones).

Apologies on the wall of text! I hope I answered some of your questions. I'm off to anatomy club now, but still have more to write here so I'll update it later :redface: Please let me know if you have any specific questions. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I have an interview for Surrey on the 6th of January!! Only place that has gotten back to me, still waiting for an invite or rejection from Nottingham, Bristol and Edinburgh.. Fingers crossed though, is anyone else going to the interview day on the 6th at Surrey?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending