The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Man U U21s take on Norwich tomorrow night at Old Trafford. It's free entry to anyone who's a member or STH but I think you can pay on the gate if not. 7pm KO.

Text UNDER21 and your membership number to 60777 to activate your entry card. :smile:
Reply 7981
Original post by IanDangerously
Man U U21s take on Norwich tomorrow night at Old Trafford. It's free entry to anyone who's a member or STH but I think you can pay on the gate if not. 7pm KO.

Text UNDER21 and your membership number to 60777 to activate your entry card. :smile:

The first team are bad enough to watch :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Opts
Why replace one of the best players though, its just not viable. You play him, he scores goals, the team wins games, simple. Look at this analogy...

Arsenal: Henry, Cole, Nasri, Fabregas, Van Persie. They went from invincible to a 4th place team in a decade.

Liverpool 2013/14: Keep hold of Suarez, their best player. His attitude is in the wrong place, his conduct is appalling, but he plays and scores and now Liverpool are genuine title contenders.

Suarez thought about leaving yeah, he never put two transfer requests in, then he committed himself to the club publicly, something Rooney never did other than signing his £300k a a week contract. He hasn't propelled us to the top of the league. He has never single handedly won us anything unlike Ronaldo, Van Persie (last years title) (recent years are more relevant to do with him). Yes he's contributed important goals for us now and then but people need to remove him from this pedestal they insist on putting him on.

Arsenals fails are Wengers.

Rooney suits Moyes defensive style. He can't adapt to different styles and that's why he'll never go.

I'd much rather have Suarez than Rooney.
Reply 7983
I've never liked Wayne Rooney, he was always set up to be a burden - with the money you could get sending him to Spain, as with Becks, Owen etc. you could buy a few good replacements. That said we can't lose our English players: look at Chelsea, a bunch of overrated foreigners who are on way too much money. Sell Rooney when a youngster like Januzaj can replace him. We need a new cult hero, someone who will be remembered for years. We don't want another Rooney when we could have another Giggs/Scholes/Neville... instead.
Reply 7984
Original post by EasyReppin
Suarez thought about leaving yeah, he never put two transfer requests in, then he committed himself to the club publicly, something Rooney never did other than signing his £300k a a week contract. He hasn't propelled us to the top of the league. He has never single handedly won us anything unlike Ronaldo, Van Persie (last years title) (recent years are more relevant to do with him). Yes he's contributed important goals for us now and then but people need to remove him from this pedestal they insist on putting him on.

Arsenals fails are Wengers.

Rooney suits Moyes defensive style. He can't adapt to different styles and that's why he'll never go.

I'd much rather have Suarez than Rooney.

Neither Rooney nor Suarez handed in transfer requests. They both hinted at it but didn't do it officially because they would have forfeited bonuses. I think its to our credit that he has not single handedly won us the league, we have always been able to score goals from all over the pitch. Fair enough, RVP won us the league last year.

Rooney scored 27 league goals in 11/12. RVP scored 26 league goals last season.
Rooney still scored 12 league goals with 1000 less minutes in 2012/13.
In 11/12, we scored more goals than we did in 12/13. Strength of opposition and end of season blunders cost us.

Poor season 10/11, still won the league

He scored 26 goals in 09/10, the year after Ronaldo went.

As for being adaptable, what's wrong with that? He can defend, attack and support. Fantastic. Drogba could do the same and he is one of Chelsea's all time greats.

Agree with the bit about Arsenal's fails being Wengers.
Original post by jam277
You can buy Shaw for £30m.

That's actually a ridiculous amount for an 18 year old fullback.

Azpilicueta was bought for 7m pounds.

If Shaw was French, Australian or Ecuadorian he'd go for a similar fee.

Pellegrini was right when he said English players are too expensive.
Reply 7986
Let's just not buy any more English players. Too little value and demonstrably little to no quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Opts
Neither Rooney nor Suarez handed in transfer requests. They both hinted at it but didn't do it officially because they would have forfeited bonuses. I think its to our credit that he has not single handedly won us the league, we have always been able to score goals from all over the pitch. Fair enough, RVP won us the league last year.

Rooney scored 27 league goals in 11/12. RVP scored 26 league goals last season.
Rooney still scored 12 league goals with 1000 less minutes in 2012/13.
In 11/12, we scored more goals than we did in 12/13. Strength of opposition and end of season blunders cost us.

Poor season 10/11, still won the league

He scored 26 goals in 09/10, the year after Ronaldo went.

As for being adaptable, what's wrong with that? He can defend, attack and support. Fantastic. Drogba could do the same and he is one of Chelsea's all time greats.

Agree with the bit about Arsenal's fails being Wengers.

Whether they directly handed in a transfer request is not the point, they both had every intention to leave except it was only Suarez who publicly came out in the end apologised and said he wants to stay. Rooney has done this twice now.

We're clearly going to disagree on this so there's little point carrying on. Just like to point out he was featuring less and less in Fergies plans at the end of last season. But it doesn't matter now as Fergie is gone.

We've got Rooney and Moyes for the long haul and nothing will change that, we've made our bed...
(edited 10 years ago)
You have enough homegrown players anyway.

Sevilla's fullback or the one at Benfica are probably better options.
What does everyone make of the Carvalho transfer? Heard lots but seen little of him, and that's a hefty fee for a 22 y/o.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7990
Original post by EasyReppin
Because he's a prick.
He constantly tries to play that long ball that scholes did only to fail.
He's far to selfish at times. He's playing for Charlton's record nothing else. Possibly one of the reasons he never gave the ball to kagawa in the Bayern game when he did that dreadful shot.

Anyone is replaceable, and this is what is holding back the club. This mentality of you can't replace Rooney or Fergie with someone of similar or better calibre. Or anyone for that matter, it's not unique to them two.

+1 rep just after reading the first sentence.
Reply 7991
Luke Shaw favourited this Tweet

Spoiler

Keep in mind that its easy to accidentally favourite something on your phone, but still, odd.
Don't understand the Rooney hate. He's consistently been one of our best players down the years, including this season.

Not adaptable? Lowut?
Reply 7993
Original post by KingStannis
Don't understand the Rooney hate. He's consistently been one of our best players down the years, including this season.

Not adaptable? Lowut?

This.
Reply 7994
Original post by Ggmu!
Let's just not buy any more English players. Too little value and demonstrably little to no quality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been wanting to say this for a long time but didn't know how to without it sounding racist. But you've managed to succeed. I agree.

Every time I hear us being linked to English players I'm not too impressed. Even players like Luke Shaw and Ross Barkley. If they have English names, even if I don't know anything about them, I immediately don't want them.

I would much rather prefer foreign players that are usually miles better technically as opposed to English players and don't have ridiculously over inflated prices.
Original post by Endless Blue
What does everyone make of the Carvalho transfer? Heard lots but seen little of him, and that's a hefty fee for a 22 y/o.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Youtube compilations can only do so much to convince me that it's a price worth paying. Ridiculous amount of money IMO. I also think a creative midfielder should be at the top of the list of priorities, as that is what we're lacking the most.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
You have enough homegrown players anyway.

Sevilla's fullback or the one at Benfica are probably better options.

Moreno will probably most likely go to Real Madrid and Rakitic will probably join him as well. Moreno has even had a better season than Luke Shaw and will be much cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7997
Original post by xDave-
Luke Shaw favourited this Tweet

Spoiler

Keep in mind that its easy to accidentally favourite something on your phone, but still, odd.

The Daily Mail will have a field day with this. Posting an article with a few lines of text including old information everyone knows about along with a fountain of over sized images just to fill up space.
Reply 7998
Original post by qasidb
The Daily Mail will have a field day with this. Posting an article with a few lines of text including old information everyone knows about along with a fountain of over sized images just to fill up space.

And then the standard ''BREAKING NEWS: MUSLIM EXTREMISTS FORCE LUKE SHAW TO FAVOURITE MAN UNITED TWEET UNDER SHARIA LAW" headline as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am i the only fan who thinks buying Lars and Sven Bender(2 CM/CDMS) aswell as Garay/Lovren(CB),Griezmann/a good winger like hermann or farfan alongside ricardo rodriguez/shaw/alberto moreno/coentrao/Alex Sandro( a new LB) and Clyne/Coleman/Chambers(if its possible)

would just be perfect for us? If we cant get Lars and Sven we should look at Alex Song/Scheinderbach and a goal scoring CM(would have said Rakitic but he is generating too much interest atm).Anyone else think if rooney dropped into CM for that box to box role we would be much better too?

We should get rid of: Cleverley(loan or sell since Martinez thinks that hes a gr8 talent plus wasn't crap last season),Nani(if his form doesn't improve+needs to be a team player),Young,Evra (love him but is seriously a liability at the def),Ferdinand(if we are going to look at bringing in 2 CBS).

IMO we should have sold rooney and then builded for the future last summer,fergie was kinda hinting towards it.I say our future XI for next season should be:

DDG/Lindegaard

Rafael/Clyne or Coleman Jones/Smalling/Garay/Evans Coentrao or Shaw/Buttner

Powell/Carrick/Fellaini/Fletcher/Lars and Sven Bender/(for the 2 CM's spots

Roo(he can play cm bx 2 bx at the expense of Lars)/
Kagawa/Mata
(for AM)

RW Jaunzaj/Valencia/Hermann ST/CF RVP/Chica/Welbz/Roo Nani /Zaha/Lingard LW

When we are playing vs a weak team in europa(if we get it play the fringe players)

Thoughts on this?

Latest