The Student Room Group

Why are rugby players so popular?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I don't think what creates the attraction is physical, otherwise boxers and mma fighters would be the ones getting the girls instead of the rugby dudes.

More of a social thing, girls look to other males and other females to judge a man's potential for mate. Rugby players play within a team so from the get-go there is a small entourage of physically large guys who approve of said man and the rest follows from there.

That's not to say a random group of guys would be able to create the same effect though.
Original post by stephie.u3

Trust me, I have you in my life more than enough... I wouldn't recommend it to anyone

You'd recommend it to everyone, yes?
in all seriousness though, i think it's partly because some rugby guys (as well as plenty of others) have big egos and will go to try and get a girl and she'll quite like the confidence. Then subconsciously I think the reason girls go for the cockier guys is to see if they're 'worthy' (can't think of a better word) and get the guys approval because it makes sense that a guy who thinks a lot of himself will expect a lot for himself. It's a bit sad really but it happens haha and then i guess other rugby guys follow suit
Original post by mrmotivator2014
You'd recommend it to everyone, yes?

Errrrrm no, not quite what i was getting at unfortunately
in all seriousness though, i think it's partly because some rugby guys (as well as plenty of others) have big egos and will go to try and get a girl and she'll quite like the confidence. Then subconsciously I think the reason girls go for the cockier guys is to see if they're 'worthy' (can't think of a better word) and get the guys approval because it makes sense that a guy who thinks a lot of himself will expect a lot for himself. It's a bit sad really but it happens haha and then i guess other rugby guys follow suit

Certainly is and certainly does, stephie.u3! :colone: :frown:
Errrrrm no, not quite what i was getting at unfortunately

Don't worry - I've been judged as simply brilliant by those with better taste before now :colone:
Certainly is and certainly does, stephie.u3! :colone: :frown:

oi. less of the sly digs tyvm.
Don't worry - I've been judged as simply brilliant by those with better taste before now :colone:

they were lying. soz.
oi. less of the sly digs tyvm.

You say that like the person measuring their 'worthiness' (couldn't think of a better word either) isn't in control of their own choices...

they were lying. soz.

Probs. They still had great taste though :colone:
Reply 28
Original post by Jebedee
I don't think what creates the attraction is physical, otherwise boxers and mma fighters would be the ones getting the girls instead of the rugby dudes.

More of a social thing, girls look to other males and other females to judge a man's potential for mate. Rugby players play within a team so from the get-go there is a small entourage of physically large guys who approve of said man and the rest follows from there.

That's not to say a random group of guys would be able to create the same effect though.

Boxers and MMA fighters don't get girls? That's not what I've heard and seen.

Also who are we talking about here? Professionals or amateurs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by datpiff
Boxers and MMA fighters don't get girls? That's not what I've heard and seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They do, just not in the droves that rugby players do. But location plays a part, just happens that rugby is a big deal here *shrugs*.
Reply 30
Original post by Jebedee
They do, just not in the droves that rugby players do. But location plays a part, just happens that rugby is a big deal here *shrugs*.

Let me guess... You live in either West Yorkshire or near Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
I play rugby and I can safely say the OPs assumption doesn't hold true :tongue:
Reply 32
Original post by datpiff
Let me guess... You live in either West Yorkshire or near Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile

South Wales.
Original post by Musie Suzie
I don't think there are any "famous" rugby players - CERTAINLY not in the same way that there are famous footballers (they're not paid loads either, or influential in fashion like footballers are). So I don't think that's very much a part of it.

My partner plays rugby, and I guess I just like the build that rugby players tend to have. Broad, strong, "manly."

There aren't famous rugby players? I'm sure more people know who Jonny Wilkinson is than most players in the premier league. Mike Tindall is married to Zara Phillips so I'd say he's pretty influential. They might not be as well paid as footballers but they are still famous and quite a few are rich.
Reply 34
They're tall, muscly and manly.. and those thighs..
Reply 35
Original post by justanotherposter
There aren't famous rugby players? I'm sure more people know who Jonny Wilkinson is than most players in the premier league. Mike Tindall is married to Zara Phillips so I'd say he's pretty influential. They might not be as well paid as footballers but they are still famous and quite a few are rich.

Not to mention his dwarf throwing antics..
Reply 36
Original post by sherace
They're tall, muscly and manly.. and those thighs..

I guess it is the counterpart of all those very feminine traits I adore.. I wonder why some girls go for more Jarvis Cocker like looks though..
Reply 37
Original post by Jebedee

Many MMA fighters are punching way above their weight with their partners. :tongue:
Vitor Belfort, BJ Penn, Joe Lauzon and Joseph Benavidez among them.
Reply 38
Original post by MJ1012
Many MMA fighters are punching way above their weight with their partners. :tongue:
Vitor Belfort, BJ Penn, Joe Lauzon and Joseph Benavidez among them.

Sorry I didn't think we were including famous people, thought it was just about normal people who play rugby (club level).
Reply 39
Original post by Jebedee
Sorry I didn't think we were including famous people, thought it was just about normal people who play rugby (club level).

Club level as in what? Sunday league?

Quick Reply

Latest