The Student Room Group

Is an EPQ worth the effort?

Do universities look favourably on people who've completed an EPQ in their chosen subject, or are they not interested? Particularly with Russell Group universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good qualification as it gives you a chance to learn some valuable skills, but hardly end of the world if your not doing one.
Original post by Emma G 15
Do universities look favourably on people who've completed an EPQ in their chosen subject, or are they not interested? Particularly with Russell Group universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, don't bother doing it.
Reply 3
I didn't do one and everyone I know who did said their a levels suffered from it, and most uni's won't even accept the points from it towards the entry requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Completing an EPQ can help to show that you've got a passion for the subject, which can set you apart from others if it comes down to the situation where you've got two people with the same basic qualifications and you've got to pick one. However, if it's going to infringe on your performance in other subjects, it's not worth it.
Reply 5
No
For Economics BSc, from Bath, they list it as one of their examples of extra curricular interest. I'd say it's useful if its relevant.

(From a Bath Economics firmer)
(edited 10 years ago)
Only if you're applying for a really competitive course and/or uni: medicine, dentistry, oxbridge etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Well its got a lot of offers to people at our college. Apparently it really helps in competitive cources

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

I disagree with some of the other comments. First and foremost, the EPQ allows you to devote some time researching something you love and therefore shouldn't really feel like much work at all. I know for a fact, speaking to admissions tutors at KCL and UCL that the EPQ is a highly valued qualification, if you missed one of your grades but have a good EPQ, it could be a life-saver.

I would thoroughly recommend it!

Good luck : D
Reply 10
Teachers at my school are really pushing it, just wondering if anyone's done one for French, and what sort of title they used? Not sure if its worth it to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Jakaroo94
I disagree with some of the other comments. First and foremost, the EPQ allows you to devote some time researching something you love and therefore shouldn't really feel like much work at all. I know for a fact, speaking to admissions tutors at KCL and UCL that the EPQ is a highly valued qualification, if you missed one of your grades but have a good EPQ, it could be a life-saver.

I would thoroughly recommend it!

Good luck : D

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its worth 60 UCAS points I think. Even if it is not in the offer the unis value it.
Also, it gave me a heck of a lot to talk about in my personal statement. I felt as if it went above and beyond the usual "and I've read this book, and this one too, and this one time I attended a talk by Professor Dumbledore..." etc.
In my experience no.
I started it but gave it up because of all the unnecessary stress it caused :L
Even without it I still got some good offers from unis and i doubt it would have made that much difference even if I did do it because all unis want are good grades in the end of it :P

However saying that, all my friends that did see it through have enjoyed it :smile: and whatever you do good luck with it :biggrin:
Reply 15
Original post by Old_Simon
Its worth 60 UCAS points I think. Even if it is not in the offer the unis value it.

Well I have things other than A levels that can get me UCAS points so I'm not worried about that, but don't know if Oxbridge and Russell group unis would value it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Physics4Life
In my experience no.
I started it but gave it up because of all the unnecessary stress it caused :L
Even without it I still got some good offers from unis and i doubt it would have made that much difference even if I did do it because all unis want are good grades in the end of it :P

However saying that, all my friends that did see it through have enjoyed it :smile: and whatever you do good luck with it :biggrin:

What are you studying at uni now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are you studying at uni now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not at uni yet but hopefully I'll be doing physics at Birmingham next year :smile:
It gives you something to talk about in your personal statement/interview and shows you've explored your subject beyond the a level syllabus, but to be honest you can do this through further reading. Southampton gave me an offer of AAB or ABB with an a EPQ which is good for an insurance choice, some other russell group universities ma do something similar.

I only took it because I dropped the subject I was applying for at AS so I wanted to show an interest in it
I'd only recommend doing one if YOU want to. I did the EPQ during my AS year and it was a big commitment to make, especially whilst doing 4 other subjects, and I really struggled to find time for it. In terms of university applications, the bonus of an EPQ is that if often counts as a fourth AS subject (although you'd have to check with the universities) and some courses give out lower offers if you have/do achieve a certain grade in it, which can be pretty useful.

From applying this year I would probably say it hasn't made much difference to my application, I got 5 offers from RG universities but I know plenty of people with the same who didn't do an EPQ. It is useful in terms of demonstrating your interest in a subject and developing skills relevant for university, but as long as the rest of your application (i.e grades, PS, reference etc.) are up to scratch, then I can't imagine it would matter much whether you do an EPQ or not. If you don't personally want to do it, then don't make yourself (sorry, just realised how long this is!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending