The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff Placement (Year in Industry) - what is the likelihood?

I've received 5 offers (from Leeds, Cardiff, Sheffield, Coventry and De Montfort) and I know I'm putting Leeds as my firm choice, but I'm undecided about my insurance choice.

I've visited Cardiff and Sheffield on open days, but not Coventry or De Montfort. I've narrowed down my insurance choice to between Cardiff and Coventry.

I really didn't like Cardiff's accommodation, but other than that the uni was great. However, I asked about a year in industry possibility (which is what really attracts me to Leeds) and they referred to it as an "interruption of study" and that you have to find it yourself with no help from the uni, unlike Leeds where they apparently practically find it for you. The phrase "interruption of study" suggests to me that it's not something they really want you to do, more that it's something that will get in the way?!

Coventry offers a placement year, which isn't described as an "interruption of study".

So my question is, people that go to Cardiff, do many people do placement years and are they any good? If not then I'll put Coventry as my insurance choice.
Reply 1
What subject are you doing?

I've applied and received an offer for Psychology with Professional Placement and so I have a placement year in industry somewhere as part of my course. I asked when I went to the subject day and I was told that the uni supports you loads with applying to different places where you might want to spend the year, they ring and offer references and basically do all they can to help you get where you want to go. Then, during the year placement, they visit to make sure you're ok and everything too.

Maybe you misunderstood them? Perhaps email and phone and question them again. Besides, you should really find the placement that YOU want to do and will help you in the career you want, not expect the uni to do all the work. The uni should help you get somewhere, definitely, but it needs to be your choice where you want to apply to spend your year and it needs to be you putting the effort into getting onto that placement.

Hope I helped :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending