The Student Room Group

Possible to teach AS and A2 maths in a year?

Just curious. Would sixth form let me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
That is what we did in our school (about 15 of us).

Was fairly easy
Reply 2
Unless you had 95+ UMS for every single exam, you showed genuine diligance in all your work - i.e working your ass off at home and never missing deadlines and being organised without failings; it's highly unlikely. Well that's not specifically true; I was in the same position a few months ago, they gave me an opportunity that if I learned one module over the summer holiday and got an A* in 2 mock exams for that module then I could do the remainder of the 9 modules in a year; I would get 2 lessons extra a week. They advised me against it very rigidly, but had I pursed I would have been allowed to. I've got a friend who's got an offer at Cambridge who is doing this (she's got 8 modules since she did C3 in year 12) and she's finding it unbelievably difficult.

If you've got your heart set on extra maths; but aren't an immaculate student - pick up the AS further maths course; it still sets you apart a fair bit for your application.
Anything is possible, you just need to stay focussed
Original post by dasul
Unless you had 95+ UMS for every single exam, you showed genuine diligance in all your work - i.e working your ass off at home and never missing deadlines and being organised without failings; it's highly unlikely. Well that's not specifically true; I was in the same position a few months ago, they gave me an opportunity that if I learned one module over the summer holiday and got an A* in 2 mock exams for that module then I could do the remainder of the 9 modules in a year; I would get 2 lessons extra a week. They advised me against it very rigidly, but had I pursed I would have been allowed to. I've got a friend who's got an offer at Cambridge who is doing this (she's got 8 modules since she did C3 in year 12) and she's finding it unbelievably difficult.

If you've got your heart set on extra maths; but aren't an immaculate student - pick up the AS further maths course; it still sets you apart a fair bit for your application.

This is good advice :smile:
Reply 5
It depends largely on what else you are doing I guess.
I did this alongside 3 other A levels, got 91 UMS on average (let down by C3 and C4), so there's no doubt that it's doable.
Reply 7
This is what the majority of first year Further Maths students do - it's not difficult at all.
We did eight modules last year (need six for A Level) and at least seven this year (many are doing more and some, including myself, are doing the remaining eleven).
Completely possible.
This is what my school do. Instead of 10 hours of Maths a fortnight, you get 15, and you do C1-C4,M1 and S1 in Year 12. In Year 13, you'll take FP1,FP2,FP3,S2,M2 and S3 or M3. Homework can be a pain, but if you have an aptitude for Maths and more importantly enjoy it, it's a good option.
I got an A* in GCSE maths but didn't take it for A level. I took Economics, History, Geography, Biology, Health and Social Care and the EPQ for year 12 (currently studying). However, I didn't think I'd fall in love with economics and want to do it at uni, which requires maths at the top ones. Next year I'll drop Health and Social and another subject, and will have finished the EPQ, allowing room for a full Maths A level. What would you guys suggest I do? Go and see the maths department after results day and ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Old_Simon
I think the OP is suggesting 12 modules in a single year.

An entire A level in maths requires 6 modules, that includes the AS and the A2.
Original post by benplumley
An entire A level in maths requires 6 modules, that includes the AS and the A2.

Sorry. I misread the Q.

Quick Reply

Latest