The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Queries for current UoB students

How sensible are UoB students?

How multicultural is UoB? On a mathematical scale of 1-10, please, and no jokes about this one, please.

How safe is Bristol? I was under the impression that it was pretty safe until I saw that CUG ranks it under Coventry ffs.

Define 'sensible'.

What do you mean by 'multi-cultural' (black, 'Asian', born outside the EU, speaking another language at home or what?) - and why do you need to know this?

All big cities have areas that are considered less safe than others. Why do you think this is a particular issue for Bristol?
(edited 10 years ago)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by going gone

How sensible are UoB students?

How multicultural is UoB? On a mathematical scale of 1-10, please, and no jokes about this one, please.

How safe is Bristol? I was under the impression that it was pretty safe until I saw that CUG ranks it under Coventry ffs.

I agree with return immigrant, define sensible...

As far as multicultural, my interpretation of your question is you mean non-monolithic... from this perspective I would say, not very... and on a scale from 1 - 10 for multiculturalism I give bristol a 3 -4
Did I feel discriminated against, or ostracized when I was there? categorically NO, but is it noticeable (meaning the lack of a multicultural environment) Yes... compare the multiculty situation of UoB and UWE...

I felt very safe at UoB... was not even a consideration for me...

just my two sense and perspective
Original post by returnmigrant
Define 'sensible'.

What do you mean by 'multi-cultural' (black, 'Asian', born outside the EU, speaking another language at home or what?) - and why do you need to know this?

All big cities have areas that are considered less safe than others. Why do you think this is a particular issue for Bristol?

Original post by vnupe
I agree with return immigrant, define sensible...

As far as multicultural, my interpretation of your question is you mean non-monolithic... from this perspective I would say, not very... and on a scale from 1 - 10 for multiculturalism I give bristol a 3 -4
Did I feel discriminated against, or ostracized when I was there? categorically NO, but is it noticeable (meaning the lack of a multicultural environment) Yes... compare the multiculty situation of UoB and UWE...

I felt very safe at UoB... was not even a consideration for me...

just my two sense and perspective

You might call this cliche or whatever but the impression I've got of uni students in general is that they're basically morally bankrupt and get drunk every other night and survive on takeouts and in short go berserk for the years they are at uni, and I don't find that sort of stuff pleasant. I don't hear this from grownups only but students as well, before anybody tells me I'm generalising. So 'sensible' is the opposite of what you hear about the average uni student. I understand that I'm asking a question that can't really have a definite answer since some people will do that and some people won't, but what's the majority like?
Reply 4
Original post by going gone
You might call this cliche or whatever but the impression I've got of uni students in general is that they're basically morally bankrupt and get drunk every other night and survive on takeouts and in short go berserk for the years they are at uni, and I don't find that sort of stuff pleasant. I don't hear this from grownups only but students as well, before anybody tells me I'm generalising. So 'sensible' is the opposite of what you hear about the average uni student. I understand that I'm asking a question that can't really have a definite answer since some people will do that and some people won't, but what's the majority like?

Using your definition of sensible... bristol has 'sensible' and 'non-sensible' students... much like any other uni...

I can only speak on the course I did at Bristol, but I can compare it to other courses that I took at other unis form which I have graduated.

More sensible when compared to the students in my undergrad years, but I attended uni in the US where Animal House (look it up) is the mythical standard students try to emulate.

eqi-sensible to my grad years at the same uni, at my scottish university, but more sensible than my bptc uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending