The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I go to private secondary school at the moment and there are actually quite a lot of students who misbehave, however I think most of them think, maybe cause the school always reminds everyone how well they are doing academically (in assemblies and stuff). the main reason private school pupils do better is cos teachers make you do work and students who fall behind, either have to get extra tutoring or in some cases have to do their gcses seperate from the school. At my school theres also an entrance exam to get in. I used to go to a state school at primary and in general you have to motivate yourself a lot more at state school and there might be some teachers that are good at teaching but a lot leave more for you to do. Don't get me wrong I think you probably have to try harder academically, at state school you get a better understanding of loads of different cultures and just experiencing the world and i think state schools are always the normal and private schools the different one
Original post by marm-alade
Yes the culture is very different in state schools. In a private school the culture is almost always to 'do well' whereas in State schools it isn't necessarily to do badly but the culture places less emphasis on the grades and more on the social systems. It's a melting pot of every culture and type of person that can't afford private school/are against the idea of private school. It's obviously going to be harder to concentrate on your work when there are hundreds of people around you arguing, bullying, being friends, falling out etc etc

not that that stuff doesn't happen in private school, it's just that you're grouped with a similar kind of person, so it's not such an issue. You'd have to be very interdependent and strong-minded to decide for yourself to do well in a state school, in a private school, even the weakest of characters do well because they don't have to struggle against the norm or be influenced by people who simply don't care because everyone cares in a private school.

It's a huge flaw in the education system, high-class education shouldn't be reserved for the rich.

I agree

Latest

Trending

Trending