The Student Room Group

No more - Advance Highers for mature students- cuts. discrimination. disgrace

There is no place in Scotlend where a mature student would be able to do advance highers next year.
Because of governments pressure to increase pass rates.Advance highers and highers decreases the pass rate greatly. No one told me its about the money.

Discrimination of mature students.
How can I compete with school leaver or students from rest of the UK.

I passed 2 highers last year and this year I am also doing 2 highers and now I cant continue and will lose 2 years of my life. I cant do HNC or NHD because I have to work to support myself and they are full time.

HNC/HND is worthles because you often need not only A but 95 % to be considered and it is the college exam
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hekke
There is no place in Scotlend where a mature student can do advance highers next year.

ok.

do you want to expand? is it a good thing bad thing? does it affect you? etc.
Reply 2
Original post by hekke
There is no place in Scotland where a mature student can do advance highers next year.

there are other qualifications that a mature student can do. HNC, HND
The Advanced Higher is largely defunct thanks to highers, HNC/HND and access courses meaning there are simpler options for getting matures etc into higher education.
Reply 4
They can! :K: There was a 27 year old guy in my advanced higher maths class last year, he got an A in the final despite being a consistent C/D grade student throughout the year :tongue: He did advanced higher physics too!
Reply 5
My first post was updated.

I want to know if anyone knows something more because they are doing it quietly so it would be to late when its done.

I even tried to contact the National Union of Students in Scotland and they dont care either.

Stop the SPAM please its very serious
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by WeeGuy
there are other qualifications that a mature student can do. HNC, HND

Yes but sometimes you need 95% from the final exam to get into Uni. Those exams are made by college you are doing theme in and so are not as much respected as highers or advance highers.

Also you must be able to study full time.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Doc.Daneeka
The Advanced Higher is largely defunct thanks to highers, HNC/HND and access courses meaning there are simpler options for getting matures etc into higher education.

Yes it may be but there should be at least one college where you could do them. I am sure that there is a demand for them. Enough demand for at least one class in every subject.

There are also cuts to the number of places for higher students because they also greatly affect the pass rate. In my college there are plans tu cut the numer of places from 800 to 500.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by hekke
There is no place in Scotlend where a mature student can do advance highers next year.
Because of governments pressure to increase pass rates and Advance highers and highers decreases the pass rate greatly. No one told me its about the money.

I passed 2 highers last year and this year I am also doing 2 highers and now I cant continue and can lose 2 years of my life. I cant do HNC or NHD because I have to work to support myself and they are full time.

HNC/HND is wortles because you often need not only A but 95 % to be considered and it is the college exam

I know it doesn't solve your problem of being able to do AHs, but when applying to a Scottish uni its generally the number of good grades you have at Highers that matter unless its for a more competitive course. Hence why kids can go straight from 5th year. AHs are just something to allow school pupils to learn more about their subject while they prepare for uni, but you don't actually need them to be ready for uni.
Reply 9
Original post by TheRabbit
I know it doesn't solve your problem of being able to do AHs, but when applying to a Scottish uni its generally the number of good grades you have at Highers that matter unless its for a more competitive course. Hence why kids can go straight from 5th year. AHs are just something to allow school pupils to learn more about their subject while they prepare for uni, but you don't actually need them to be ready for uni.

You dont need theme to be ready but to get in, and kids with advance highers have better chances than these with highers only
Why then mature students cant have that chance.

You would like to keep us away from more competitive courses.!!!

Thene its discrimination. Nothing more.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hekke
Yes it may be but there should be at least one college where you could do them. I am sure that there is a demand for them. Enough demand for at least one class in every subject.

There are also cuts to the number of places for higher students because they also greatly affect the pass rate. In my college there are plans tu cut the numer of places from 800 to 500.

Just re-read the initial post and you seem to have the wrong end of the stick. To get into most HNC/D programmes you only need one higher in a relevant subject. Sometimes you will be admitted simply based upon your maturity. So there is really no need to do advanced highers if HNC/D is your aim.

If we are talking about a degree then frankly you would be better off just applying straight to uni- perhaps as a part-time student initially.
Original post by hekke
You dont need theme to be ready but to get in, and kids with advance highers have better chances than these with highers only

I personally do not wish to discriminate against you :smile:

I simply mean that you will still be able to apply and hopefully get a place on a univerisity course if you so wished.

Most people applying to uni are yet to achieve their AHs and it varies between universities whether it would actually improve your chances, for example a quick google of which courses require AHs:

Here at GCU, the answer would be no - taking Advanced Highers won't put you at an advantage, as none of our courses currently list these as entry requirements specifically.
Lynne Barrie | Uk Student Recruitment Officer - Glasgow Caledonian University
http://university.which.co.uk/

We make offers on the basis of Highers, though Advanced Highers can be a way of meeting entry requirements if you are unable to meet them with Highers alone. A grade C or above in Advanced Higher will translate as an upgrade to the Higher grade achieved. If you have an Advanced Higher without the relevant Higher, you'll normally be asked for grade B in the Advanced Higher. Stirling university 1st year entry,
http://www.stir.ac.uk/

EDIT: its difficult to offer a proper response without knowing why you wish to do AHs
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by hekke

You don't need advanced highers to get into university, nor do those with advanced highers stand a better chance as offers are given out on the basis of highers.
Original post by hekke
There is no place in Scotlend where a mature student would be able to do advance highers next year.
Because of governments pressure to increase pass rates.Advance highers and highers decreases the pass rate greatly. No one told me its about the money.

I passed 2 highers last year and this year I am also doing 2 highers and now I cant continue and will lose 2 years of my life. I cant do HNC or NHD because I have to work to support myself and they are full time.

HNC/HND is worthles because you often need not only A but 95 % to be considered and it is the college exam

It's not discrimination. You don't need advanced highers to get into university, for any course in Scotland. None specify this as a requirement. Highers will do you just fine.
Reply 14
Original post by AspiringMedic8
It's not discrimination. You don't need advanced highers to get into university, for any course in Scotland. None specify this as a requirement. Highers will do you just fine.

Afcourse you dont. But what in the situation when there is 500 people and all of them have four A from highers. And the uni offers only 100 places on a course. How do you think if you were the 501 but with advance highers who would have a better chance.
Reply 15
Original post by TheRabbit
I personally do not wish to discriminate against you :smile:

I simply mean that you will still be able to apply and hopefully get a place on a univerisity course if you so wished.

Most people applying to uni are yet to achieve their AHs and it varies between universities whether it would actually improve your chances, for example a quick google of which courses require AHs:

Here at GCU, the answer would be no - taking Advanced Highers won't put you at an advantage, as none of our courses currently list these as entry requirements specifically.
Lynne Barrie | Uk Student Recruitment Officer - Glasgow Caledonian University
http://university.which.co.uk/

We make offers on the basis of Highers, though Advanced Highers can be a way of meeting entry requirements if you are unable to meet them with Highers alone. A grade C or above in Advanced Higher will translate as an upgrade to the Higher grade achieved. If you have an Advanced Higher without the relevant Higher, you'll normally be asked for grade B in the Advanced Higher. Stirling university 1st year entry,
http://www.stir.ac.uk/

EDIT: its difficult to offer a proper response without knowing why you wish to do AHs

if as you said AH are a way to meet entery requirements if you are uneable to met them with highers then why take away that chance from mature students. Especially that there is a demand for AH.

Also those requirements are minimum required to apply they wont guaranty you a place. As I wrote above what in that situation. And there are courses which are much more competitive.

How do you treat A levels then. Are they eqiuvalent to highers or AH?

Besides world doesnt end on GCU or Stirling uni.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 16
Whar is wrong in doing advance highers?
Some people want to do it for pleasure because they are passionate about a subject.

And there is a trend in colleges to cut not only AHs but Highers aswel. As I mentioned they plan to decrease the number of places from 800 to 500 in my college.
I was told when I raised this issu that this trend exist and soon there is not going to be any highers aswel.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Fight_me
That is disgraceful. UK is so much better, can't wait for them to leave the UK; Good riddance! And no, you can't keep the pound

People like yourself make me ashamed to be a 'No' voter in the forthcoming Scottish Independence Referendum.
Original post by hekke

I'm in 6th year just now and currently doing 3 advanced highers. Honestly, the advanced higher is overrated: the qualification is, in my experience, largely just a glorified higher.
Original post by hekke
then if as you said AH are a way to meet entery requirements if you are uneable to met them with highers then why take away that chance from mature students. Especially that there is a demand for AH.

Also those requirements are minimum required to apply they wont guaranty you a place. As I wrote above what in that situation. And there are courses which are much more competitive.

How do you treat A levels then. Are they eqiuvalent to highers or AH?

Besides world doesnt end on GCU or Stirling uni.

Maybe there isn't a demand for AHs in colleges - I looked at going to college instead of 6th year and there was limited choice and not all colleges offered them anyway and that was a number of years back now.
What is wrong with GCU and Stirling? I clearly said they were just in the first few results when I googled it. Pretty sure other universities are the same.
Do you know that 500 people apply for that one course?

AHs can be a way of meeting entry requirements, but since there are other ways of doing so which are more widely available it is not discriminatory. Different uni applications work differently, but generally your personal statement and stuff is what is important in distinguishing from other people if you meet the entrance requirements.

A levels are just above Highers, below or the same level as AH in level.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending