The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Viable to apply for Imperial Maths with Computer Science with these subjects?

Maths Physics Economics and Pure Further Maths (not full), but I do Cambridge Pre-U where it states the requirement is only single Mathematics ( not sure why? ), but what do you think?
Reply 1
Those subjects absolutely fine. How much computer science have you done so far?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by spiruel
Those subjects absolutely fine. How much computer science have you done so far?

Bit of work experience and self taught but that's beside the point

Is the fact I have only AS(Pure) Further Maths a problem in applying for Maths AND Computer Science MEng at Imperial College London when for A-level the requirement is Maths and Further Maths?
Reply 3
Sorry, I missed that. The reason I asked is because my brother has received offers for computer science this year.
You're going to struggle to find a definite answer here. You should email the university yourself to get a confirmation.
Reply 4
Original post by spiruel
Sorry, I missed that. The reason I asked is because my brother has received offers for computer science this year.
You're going to struggle to find a definite answer here. You should email the university yourself to get a confirmation.

I tried looking for a link but couldn't find one, and they always beat around the bush when I email them (other universities)
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
Could I get more advice on this?

Can I apply for Maths-Computing with only AS Further Maths and Maths Physics Economics?
Reply 7
Original post by Kolasinac138
Could I get more advice on this?

Can I apply for Maths-Computing with only AS Further Maths and Maths Physics Economics?

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/admissions/ug/jmc/advice
"*If you are not able to take A-level Further Maths to A2, you should take an AEA or STEP Maths qualification instead of the Further Maths A-level. Some candidates choose to take Further Maths independently through a local Further Maths Network Centre."

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/people
Email the UG admissions tutor. Imperial reply very fast, often within a few hours, and it's not copied and pasted from another page.
Reply 8
Oh right, so STEP is the alternative - that's an option in my school too
Reply 9
Oh right, so STEP is the alternative - that's an option in my school too

They even ask for it for straight Computing, so JMC will definitely require a high STEP grade if you don't do Further, I'd imagine.
Original post by TSR561
They even ask for it for straight Computing, so JMC will definitely require a high STEP grade if you don't do Further, I'd imagine.

Really???? Even for Single? Damn!
Reply 11
Really???? Even for Single? Damn!

Yep haha. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/admissions/ug/comp/advice Not essential but "highly recommended", so basically essential.
Original post by TSR561
Yep haha. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/computing/admissions/ug/comp/advice Not essential but "highly recommended", so basically essential.

Hard road ahead of me here.. I'll have to work hard

BTW, is Computing and etc from Imperial/UCL good for Investment Banking?
Reply 13
Hard road ahead of me here.. I'll have to work hard

BTW, is Computing and etc from Imperial/UCL good for Investment Banking?

Yep, are you in your first year of college?

I'm not too sure about that, but I think banks do give internships to Computing students at Imperial.
Original post by TSR561
Yep, are you in your first year of college?

I'm not too sure about that, but I think banks do give internships to Computing students at Imperial.

Yes I am in my first year of college

Also, for Investment Banking what would you recommend other than Computing then

My few thoughts of Uni degrees are:
Maths
Economics
Computer Science
Civil Engineering

Or mixed courses of those

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending