The Student Room Group

Extended Project

Currently at the stage of choosing my A Levels for next year, and although my four AS subjects have been chosen (maths, history, business and government & politics) I have seen the extended project option. There wasn't too much information on this in my colleges prospectus, what actually is it? Does it fall into the same category as general studies and critical thinking as interesting but useless? Do people who have taken it think it is worth doing? Thanks all
Reply 1
EPQ is basically a chance for you to design your own project - usually its a dissertation-style report, but I do Edexcel and I know you can make an artefact or do a field investigation or something. The decision to come up with your own question is completely yours, though most people do it as an extension to one of their A-level subjects to strengthen a university application.

I would say it definitely isn't on a level with GS and CT - it is much more useful and respected. Some unis (I know Southampton at least, there might be more!) actually include your result in it as part of your offer. There is the possibility that it will sway decisions, especially at competitive universities, in that if you have an EPQ and the same grades as someone else, you may have the edge. It looks good as 'super-curricular' activities, and also just lets you explore something you're really interested in, which is great!

I think I probably would recommend it. I spent a ridiculous amount of time on it and mine turned into a pretty substantial report (more than it needed to be :frown:), so that is a risk you will take - don't sacrifice your main subjects for the sake of EPQ! If you can think of something you would be confident researching and think you can manage balancing it with your subjects, go for it.

(I may completely change my mind when I get my result in March! :smile:)

This is about the AQA EPQ, and this is the Edexcel one. This is also from Edexcel and gives a good overview of what a few universities think about it.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest