The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Please Help Re. Law at York

Dear York Law Students - current and prospective,

I would very much appreciate your advice as well as your first-hand experience of York Law School, its interview process, the PBL approach and finally, the general feel of York.

I have received an interview invitation, and it is fair to say that I am quite nervous. Having been interviewed only once in my life, experience in this skill is not something that I am comfortable with. Subsequently, I have the following questions for you to which I hope you can answer to the best of your knowledge and ability.

1)Why did You choose York Law School?

2)How is the Problem Based Learning approach at YLS different from other universities' approach, e.g. Exeter University?

3)How is the PBL approach used in conjunction with other approaches?

4)Having been through the interview staged at YLS (assumed), what are the interviewers most looking for in the interviewees?

5)Do you remember what questions you were asked in the interview?

6)Do you have any tips regarding the interview process for me?

On the day of the interview, I will also be visiting York University

7)Should I particularly see a part of the university?

8)If
you had to change one aspect of York Law School, what would it be?

9)Could you please summarise the pros and cons of both YLS and the University itself.

10)To the best of your knowledge, how lenient is the admissions department on entry requirements? E.g. If a candidate misses theiroffer by a grade e.g. AAB instead of AAA, how likely is it that theuniversity will still accept the candidate?

I realise that there are many questions here and so you may not have the time/inclination to answer all of them; but any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
aibekhsi
(edited 10 years ago)
My advice? If you've only been interviewed once in your life, what you need to do is practice your interview skills and research York's law programme yourself.

The solution isn't to go on TSR and list a couple of questions that might pop up in an interview and have other applicants answer them. No one is going to do your work for you, though they will be happy to share their interview experiences and answer questions such as #7 and #9.
(edited 10 years ago)
University of York
York
Reply 2
I agree with the poster above, although its understandable to be nervous, the worst thing you can do is go into the interview with a combination of other people's answers and risk a) forgetting what they are and thus being stuck for words or b) getting confused and messing up the interview.

My responses to the first three questions: if you don't know PBL enough and cannot confidently say why you think you're suited to it ("I like that its different" doesn't count) then it'll show. Don't just regurgitate what's on the website or in the forums, learn it and understand it yourself.
As for questions 4 and 5, I do in fact remember the questions, but won't be sharing them because that won't help you. Firstly because you might not get the same ones, secondly because it puts both of us in a bad place. If you're worried about the interview, practise with someone beforehand using the example questions on the site. In future interviews (jobs, internships etc.) you won't have the privilege of talking to other fellow interviewees before so now's the time to get some experience at being interviewed since you've not had any before.

For the interview, stay calm and listen carefully and pause before answering. The worst thing you could do is be too eager to answer immediately then ramble on. Be yourself, because they want to know who you are and how you think.

Try and see as much of the uni as possible, have an idea of which colleges (on both campuses) you might want to go to if you get an offer, and try and go see them in person. Also see what the distance of the department/accomodation is like from the library, sports facilities, shops, the town etc.

Good luck with your interview, hope you get the result you want! :smile:
Original post by aibekhsi
Dear York Law Students - current and prospective,

Regards,
aibekhsi

Aibekhsi, I am a student at YLS, would you still like a response or has your interview date passed?
Reply 4
Passed and offer received. Thanks anyway :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending