The Student Room Group

Is vemma a scam?

I was introduced to vemma by a friend at uni and Vemma is just a healthy energy drink mainly for young people.

All you do is pay £120 every five months for a box of vemma drinks and then you have to the sell drinks and tell people to join then you get lots of money.

They had a presentation and they showed teenagers from America talking about how they make like £300 pounds in the 1st couple of month by just telling people about vemma. They also showed them with expensive car and talking about how they get to go all over the world in private jets. This is just about 5-6 months into joining. Once you get to higher ranks you get like £1000s of pounds a month and they stressed that its residual so you dont lose money and you can make money in your sleep.

They also told us it was endorsed by Oprah's doctor, Dr Oz, and it is the sponsor of the Pheonix Suns.

Something about it dosen't seem right.

Scroll to see replies

Look up pyramid schemes on the internet.
I can't believe people still fall for things like this.

If it sounds too good to be true... it usually is!
I can't say I know all that much about it - but just be aware that selling things is never as easy as you might think.

You can buy perfectly good, cheap, energy drinks from the supermarket, so just think about why people would pay for what you're selling. You might get some, but it would be slow.
Reply 4
Original post by balotelli12
Look up pyramid schemes on the internet.

Thanks. The first sentence on wikipedia explains their business 100%. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme This is what they explained to us but they didn't use the phrase pyramid scheme. I was shocked when i read it because so many people I know have joined thinking its not a pyramid scheme.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
Sounds incredibly sustainable. I'm in the process of buying 5 cruise liners with 3 friends who also signed up a week ago! We're so rich now.
Reply 6
Original post by The_Jakal
I can't believe people still fall for things like this.

If it sounds too good to be true... it usually is!

I feel the same way, a lot of people I know joined straight after the presentation without even doing research first.
Sounds legit, when do i wire the monies to Nigeria?
Reply 8
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I can't say I know all that much about it - but just be aware that selling things is never as easy as you might think.

You can buy perfectly good, cheap, energy drinks from the supermarket, so just think about why people would pay for what you're selling. You might get some, but it would be slow.

Thats the problem the people who join up have to influence others to join and when you ask them questions like this they don't know what to say because their just regurgitating information.

For example they said that red bull killed 5 people lats year (2013) then someone replied saying that that was because of an overdose, but he just dismissed his point and continued.
Reply 9
Original post by TSR561
Sounds incredibly sustainable. I'm in the process of buying 5 cruise liners with 3 friends who also signed up a week ago! We're so rich now.

Looooooooool its definetly a scam. Ironically they say you get to go on a cruise ship once you hit the rank of royal ambassador.
Reply 10
First of all Vemma is not the healthy energy drink Verve! is. But Verve contains the vemma formula which provides your body with all the essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs.

Once you have 3 customers your box of drinks for personal consumption is FREE! Your not actually physically selling drinks by the way, you are actually recommending and sharing with friends and family,
No, you are involved in an unsustainable pyramid scam that borders on being illegal and only the moronically stupid would have anything to with it. Especially when the suggestion is you rope in friends and family.
An Utterly contemptuous suggestion and business proposition.
It is a SCAM you gullible idiot!
Reply 13
Hi All,

While out in the states I had a go at the Vemma business. I bought some product, and I chatted to my friends and family about it and mostly I got the same response everyone has given here. That being said, I really enjoyed the drink, and I am not a big fan of energy drinks like red bull etc.

Before anyone calls me a gullible idiot, I was taken to a meeting where I was shown the videos and had doctors and all sorts of other people come and tell me how they were making 1000's of pounds a month and I will happily admit I was whipped up in the whole buzz of it. Thats how is works. However, not being completely stupid I went and did some research on network marketing, (have a search for this and you'll find that it is considered a legitimate business model i.e. herbal life, but is often marred by pyramid scams following similar methods), and I found that it looked legitimate and I wanted something to apply my spare time to.

So I paid for my product and started talking to people and got a few people signed up to join. Things seemed to come to end when I came back to the UK, mostly for the reason people are showing here. As far as I can tell we just aren't ready for this type of thing in the UK, and thats fair enough. The tendency to be a little syndical when presented things like this is what makes Britain that bit more grown up than the US.

So I stopped buying the product went about my business as usual, and have only had the odd thought here or there for the whole process.

What I will say to you guys is don't be so quick to judge the whole thing. I was only just recently chatting to the guy who got me involved in the first place (a mate) and he told me there business model has changed, to fall more into line with an Amazon type structure (will have to do some research on this). further more Europe seems to be there biggest growth area right now, particularly France. So it's not far from being here whether we like it or not

But my real point is I have met people that have and are making reasonably good money with this, but they work seriously hard for it, multiple meetings a week, always talking about it. They live and breath the business. Its not as simple as buying the product and watching the money come in, but if everyone over here opened up a bit to idea it could work for a lot of people.

This is just my experience of the whole thing, I'm not part of the business currently, although may consider rejoining and I genuinely like the product. I don't think it is right for everyone, but if you are willing to believe in it, it is possible to make it work.
It is a scam!
Reply 15
Original post by Herbiness

First of all Vemma is NOT a Pyramid Scheme. Pyramid Schemes are based around no product and only on recruitment, making money off of people signing up to literally nothing. This is illegal!

"The typical MLM Business model constitutes what I call a - product-based pyramid scheme and NOT a form of legitimate direct selling."
MLM DEFINITIONS AND LEGITIMACY By Jon M. Taylor, MBA, Ph.D

Here's another quote from the FTC "Avoid any plan where the reward for recruiting new distributors is more than it is for selling products to the public."

Talking about the FTC...
"
The FTC has received at least 40 complaints about the company and its products..."
"Boreyko has been in hot water with the FTC in the past. In 1999, the FTC went after him for a previous business, New Vision International, Inc., for making claims that its dietary supplement, “God’s Recipe,” could cure, prevent, or treat ADD and ADHD. "

Original post by Herbiness
Vemma's income comes from customers alone, not people signing up to work for them (who by the way pay the same as sole customers).

Here is a quote from BK "The only way someone can become an Affiliate is by introducing a new customer or buying a Builder Pack"
So the only way you can become an Affiliate is by buying a Builder pack or by introducing a new customer.. But till then you are considered a customer.

Also take a look at the income disclosure:
http://yprpariah.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/income-disclosure-2012.png

So it seems that those at the bottom of the pyramid scheme are considered Customers since they're unable to recruit

"Contrary to what Boreyko says to parents in this YouTube video, Vemma does not currently have an A+ rating from the BBB. In fact, Vemma has a C+ rating."

Sources:
http://www.business.ftc.gov/documents/inv08-bottom-line-about-multi-level-marketing-plans
https://www.truthinadvertising.org/eight-things-you-should-know-about-vemma/
http://ethanvanderbuilt.com/2013/07/10/vemma-is-a-scam-yes-it-is-in-my-opinion/
http://yprpariah.wordpress.com/

(edited 10 years ago)
Its like that episode of peep show. "This isnt pyramid selling..."
Note how all of the products being sold via these schemes are very questionable in their alleged benefits, see Herbalife, Juice Plus and this "healthy energy drink" which is just an energy drink chock full of vitamins and minerals you don't even need.

If the product is good, it would sell itself. They have to create these selling cults to get people interested in their garbage
Original post by chucky33
All of you who knock network marketing or say that its a pyramid scheme are pretty clueless and clearly you have not researched anything, but have simply listened to the masses of idiots who have no idea what they're talking about. The evidence is out there, Why listen to those who have achieved nothing, but yet claimed they know how it works! Everyone who joins this kind of business expects to be rich within the next months, when clearly thats not going to happen. Network marketing can be a career or part time for people who are willing to learn but it takes TIME, like every other job you will get! the reason people say it doesnt work or that it's a scam is because they join, do nothing, and expect to be rich by the next month. These are the ignorant people you are listening to! Nothing comes easy, specially wealth!

Just to add, you don't sell drinks with Vemma either, you only buy them for your own consumption, and they don't fly you in private jets, but they do provide you with a car (if you do well). comments like those of the Thread Starter is the reason this kind of business gets such a bad name. ignorance is everywhere, think carefully about who you take your advice from.

I have achieved plenty sunshine. I own 3 houses, a pension fund worth £750K, £350 K invested and I can say unequivocally that anyone who believes in this crap is a gullible, stupid fool.

All the evidence that this is a scam to catch the stupid is out there.

It has been exposed numerous times in the press and tv.

How much have you made out of it deary?

Do tell.
Reply 19
Original post by balotelli12
I have achieved plenty sunshine. I own 3 houses, a pension fund worth £750K, £350 K invested and I can say unequivocally that anyone who believes in this crap is a gullible, stupid fool.

All the evidence that this is a scam to catch the stupid is out there.

It has been exposed numerous times in the press and tv.

How much have you made out of it deary?

Do tell.

What do you work as?
balotelli is right,
the only people signing up are usual fools,
you will never find anyone over the age of 30 in their group photos,
that they so dearly enjoy taking with the absurd caption "big things next year, becoming rich!",
why?... well, because it's only dumb students that are attracted to it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending